Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Help with B-day present

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by zodiac66, Mar 11, 2004.

1. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

Help with B-day present

My mom's birthday is tomorrow. I need some help in what to get her. She keeps telling me not to get her anything because she knows we are short on cash while I am laid off of work.

This is what I am planning so far: She is invited over on Sunday for a BBQ. On the menu is Filet Mignon, baked potato and green beans. I want to get her something else. I am thinking a $100.00 gift card where she can buy whatever she wants with it.

She does so much for me and I don't like the idea of not doing something extra special for her.

Any other ideas?

2. th5418

th5418 Banned

I would get her a fancy dinner. Some good resturant w/ some steak or what she lieks to eat.

3. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

She asked you not to spend money on her. A centibuck is a big chunk of money. She is your mother, she knows you're having money trouble, and if you do that she'll only feel guilty about accepting it.
    Stick with the nice dinner (filet mignon costs enough as it is) and write her a beautiful, long, thoughtful letter telling her how you feel about her. Have the kids make cards for her. That sort of thing. She doesn't need stuff, she needs to feel like she raised a good woman.
    Or get her something she can plant in her garden, and plant it for her, that's what I do for my Mom.

4. zodiac66

Mixed..a $100.00 is a drop in the bucket for what she does for us. She babysits both kids for FREE. That saves me a huge chunk of money. I want to pay just a small bit back to her. She is a simple woman (not meant in a bad way). Material things don't mean that much to her. I think she could use a new outfit, some perfume..or whatever else she has wanted and couldn't afford. A c-note won't break me.

I already do all the flower things in the summertime. I get everything wholesale so I get stuff dirt cheap for her garden.

How can I lessen her guilt? I have told her on numerous occasions how much I appreciate what she does for me.

5. th5418

th5418 Banned

I think she will feel guilt no matter how. She would most likely feel it would sort of be her job to take care of her family still.

6. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

I understand what you are saying, Zody. Zod. Zodi. Anyway, what I'm doing is putting myself into your mother's place. If my child, whom I knew was having problems with money, gave me a hundred dollar gift certificate, I might feel I was taking something from her childrens' mouths.
    Anyway, you know her better than I do, it sounds like you're doing fine.
    My kids make crazy coupons for me, like 1/2 hour backrub ones and stuff like that. Maybe that's a bit childish for your Mom, but it's free.
    She already knows how much you appreciate and love her, by the way.

7. zodiac66

You know..those coupons are a good idea!! Liam can do dishes and Samara just loves to Swiffer. I still want to get her something from me though.

8. th5418

th5418 Banned

I would think she would appreciate you cleaning her whole house and fixing some thinsg that wont work. Also the BBQ. That sounds good.