Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Help with 1.09 sorc build

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Arreat_mercenary, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Arreat_mercenary

Arreat_mercenary IncGamers Member

Help with 1.09 sorc build

Marie, my first ever sorc is about to become matriarch, and I really enjoyed playing a sorc, I've never played a ranged/magic char (only melee chars) and it was pretty fun.

But now I want to have power, since my sorc is only a dual tree sorc, with FO and TS as main skills, she's powerfull, but when finding uniquer or superunique cold inmune monsters in P8 in hell it really takes AGES to kill monsters (especially if the monster is LE or MSLE).

So since my experience with ranged/magic chars has now increased, I want to make a tri-elementalist.

Any comments are appreciated, from my point of view, here are the best skills of every tree:

FIRE: Hydra, Meteor and Firewall
    LIGHTN: Nova, Thunderstorm, Chain Lightning
    ICE: Frozen Orb and Blizzard

So, what skills are best for dealing A LOT of damage, how much points should I spent in the skills and how much in the respective masteries? I think too that I should not have only timered spells, any comments are REALLY appreciated! :D THIS IS 1.09 by the way

2. Asmodeous

Asmodeous IncGamers Member

I had a level 97 tri elementalist in v1.09 which I used for everything, magic find, baal runs, moo cows and multi player, ah, those where fun days.

Anyway, she used Forb, hydra, fire mastery and thunderstorm all at level 20 and cold and lightning mastery at 1 point as well as the usual 1 pointers, static, warmth, tele and energy shield.
    I never really had much problem with the mix of timered spells. but this character wasnt the best killer, it was just my highest level character I was trying to get to lvl 99 before v1.10 came along and spoiled the party.

A better build however was my "ultimate sorceress" which I wrote a guide about. Forb, meteor, nova and light mastery level 20 and cold & fire mastery at one point and the usual one pointers.
    Now that was a very popular guide and that soser could kill! load her up with the skill boosters and max out the fast cast!

Ah the memories...........

3. steelsixtyIV

steelsixtyIV IncGamers Member

My 7 x 99 sorcie is a tri-elemental. I needed a good mix of Cow running and questing skills so I chose Firewall, FO, Nova and LM. Whatever points I have leftover will prolly go to Warmth.

4. nepeta

nepeta IncGamers Member

May I ask why you're still playing 1.09?

5. supermatt

supermatt IncGamers Member

my 1.09 Sorc uses FOrb, Hydra and Thunderstorm, all maxed, then a couple of points in Cold and Fire masteries iirc

:) matt

6. Thirty-Thirty

Thirty-Thirty IncGamers Member

Like Supermatt, my 1.09 Tri-Elementalist was Frozen Orb, Hydra and Nova. You might be better off with Firewall than Hydra, they weren't that quick, and the heavy timer made them a lot less effective.

7. supermatt

supermatt IncGamers Member

^ i was pretty impressed with Hydra's actually. i used Orb most of the time, but Hydra's pwned Baals minions when Baasl running. you spam Hydra's before waves 2 and 3 and SF when they spawn and they drop in no time. also Hydra keep hitting even when the target moves not like Firewall

:? matt

8. Arreat_mercenary

Because I really want to master 1.09 before playing sinergies, FE bug, builds dependant on itamz and tyrael's might (yeah right :p ). In 2 years playing I have made 9 chars, which 8 of them were melee (4 barbs, 3 pallies and 1 werewolf druid) and marie is my first ranged/magic char and I want to make at least another ranged char and another magic char before going to 1.1 . Because I know that once I master 1.1 there's nothing else new in diablo II, since blizzard doesn't seem interested in another patch or a D3 and I want to have Diablo II for more time :thumbsup: .

Going back to the thread:

for fire: So it's better firewall than hydra? since hydra was very interesting but I want to have full power.
    for ice: FOrb
    for lightn: Nova seems like the place to go

So it would be:
    Fire: Either firewall or hydra (any suggestions?)
    Ice: FOrb
    Lightn: Nova.

I know that nova it's a really mana intensive spell, and FOrb and either hydra or firewall are timered spell so it would let me to recover some mana, but still I will need a lot of mana. So any suggestions on point alocations? Str and dex are obvious, but how much vit and energy? And how much points in each skill? Since I normally defeat hell baal in clvl 80, so it leaves me something like 91 skills points, any suggestions in how to distribute them for each skill and it's respective mastery?

9. essojay

essojay IncGamers Member

Nova was what really made the sorc shine in .09 IMO (and TS, but that's better for PvP). The typical trielementalist would invest in FOrb first (since it's easiest to max out as it didn't need CM to be particularly effective in PvP) with one point in CM, work on Nova and LM next, then Firewall, then FM. The usual 1-point wonders such as a cold armor, Warmth, Teleport, Static Field (unavoidable for Novasorc) and maybe ES would get a point.

So you definitely want to get Frozen Orb (and get it ASAP) since it's the most skillpoint-efficient skill, and then choose between Nova, Firewall, or both.

Unfortunately, both isn't really an option for you since it looks like you already invested in TS and you won't have enough points to get both Nova nad Firewall.

Nova is better for general PvM but it's mana-intensive.

Firewall has more specific purposes, such as killing meph in record time, but with a good merc that can tank and keep monsters put in place, it can also be used for monster slaughtering.

Since you already started on TS and probably have invested in LM, I would recommend getting Nova.

There are of course, wackier options Nova or Firewall (both are cookie-cutter): Hydra, Blizzard, and Fireball come to mind.

10. PinkeyandtheBrain

PinkeyandtheBrain Banned

waht made 1.09 Forb so powerfull? i never played 1.09 at all so im just wonderin

11. Arreat_mercenary

FOrb in 1.09 was so powerfull because............... there's no other spell that does damage like FO!. Since there's no sinergies, blizzard is not at all that powefull, and since it's random damage, FO completely owned the ice tree, besides, FO looks very cool, with good aiming it does a lot of damage, and because of how Cold Mastery works, you only need 1 skill point so another advantage to FO

12. essojay

essojay IncGamers Member

Well, for one, it poses virtually no mana problems because of the 1-second delay (a blessing in disguise, perhaps). It also requires 26 points to be fully effective (assuming you would even bother with that one point in CM), and the pre-requisites include the oh-so-useful-for-Act1-Normal Frost Nova. In any case, even for synergy-less 1.09 standards, it was a really good skill for so few skill points. (On a sidenote, FOrb+TS was the .09 PvP Sorc pwn skillset, and FOrb is still used in PvP to some degree.)

Individual shards would deal little damage, but of course, that's why there are many shards. A good player would often hit a monster with up to 6 shards, it was rumored. This made FOrb, with the possible exception of Blizzard (which was nowhere near as effective as it is now), the only viable skill in the cold tree.

EDIT: pwnt to the reply.

13. steelsixtyIV

steelsixtyIV IncGamers Member

for casters my goals usually are:

STR 77 (Dusk Shroud)
    DEX Base
    VIT ~ 100 (early survivial, add more life /w charms or Prubies later)
    ENG 150 (depending on skill and mana use)

If you have specific gear in mind then adjust for what you need (more STR for armor, more DEX for blocking, more ENG for mana). I usually play untwinked so my advice comes from that perspective and until I reach my base goals I go 1 STR 2 VIT 2 ENG.

14. PinkeyandtheBrain

PinkeyandtheBrain Banned

ok i think im gonna make a 1.09 sorc i really liked my 1.10 metorb and i think i will like this one *runs off to start sorc in the morning* *not yet*

15. mgoose

mgoose IncGamers Member

I am playing 1.09 also, I made a FO, Nova, and TS sorc. Although after reading this thread I am wishing i had done firewall instead of TS, aaahh well. Yeah I neve played casters much on realm, I essentially made this one after I found an occy and decided I should make a mf'er.

She's been pretty good to me, although I really, really want a Tal's and neither Baal or Pindle have been particularly kind to me, aahh well, not much I can do I guess. Although the thought of trying to write a script for pindle is tempting, but I don't know enough to.

And yeah FO does own, I think TS is kinda usless in PvM which since I am offline at work (which is where I play D2) is all I do. Just my $.02