Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Help! Winamp is Clicking!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by PatMaGroin, Sep 1, 2006.

1. PatMaGroin

PatMaGroin IncGamers Member

Help! Winamp is Clicking!

Just reinstalled Winamp, and it's doing something it didn't used to do. Everytime I skip a song, I get the little Windows clicky noise. It wasn't always like this. It annoys the hell out of me.

Make it stop...

2. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

Mute sound in audio control panel.

3. vdzele

vdzele IncGamers Member

Hmm … Mute sound in audio control panel.? … won’t this mute all of his sound from his computer.

Do you have this effect when skipping songs while using another player. Say windows media player? If this is the case then something is wrong with your audio codec. Reinstalling audio codec could help then. But usually Format C is the only way in solving this.

Or try reinstalling another version of winamp. But before installing new version delete registry entries in the system register from the older version: Start \ run \ type: regedit

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Winamp (right click delete)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Nullsoft (right click delete)

I solve this kind of problems by returning my backup ghost file of my C partition … 3 minutes needed for this and my system is as it was when I made his clone. I can delete my Windows with no problem, I will have him back in 3 minutes and all of my programs running like nothing happened.

4. Xenon[XoA]

Xenon[XoA] Banned

What version of winamp?

5. D.K.night

D.K.night IncGamers Member

Yup - the first step is to identify whether the problem is localized with just your winamp version, or if it's all of your audio players in general.

Play the song in winamp - ok you can duplicate the problem - now try Windows Media player to play the same song and perform the same type of operations that would be equivalent on winamp.

If the problem's winamp - I would actually suggest that you use a very OLD version of winamp. Why do I say that? Because ever since version 3, they started using all this bloated code just so you could design wacky interfaces for it. Nah, version 2 and below were easily the best. Last I checked, you can't even write the mp3 to disk anymore. Winamp was a cheap and dirty way to convert mp3 to wave with one little application. Now I don't think you can do that anymore. There's no way I'd ever switch up. I'm sticking to my old version 2.x.

6. PatMaGroin

Nope, I just queued up a few songs and it doesnt happen there.

It's just the little click Windows makes whenever you, say, open a new window of something. But it's every time I skip a song, or Winamp finishes one and grabs another.

The new one, 5.24.

7. Savage

Savage IncGamers Member

I agree that the old 2.x versions were very good, and I would never have stuck with Winamp through the 3.x and 4.x days if I hadn't experienced the prior goodness. That said, there are some nice features in 5.x that are really quite useful and the lite download is still only around 2 MB so that's what I'm using and it works perfectly for me. I don't see why anyone would use Winamp to burn or rip songs, or really do any of the other crap they've introduced over the years. I play music with it, that's it.

8. vdzele

vdzele IncGamers Member

Well looks like you have a “deep / tricky†problem, since you have a click occasionally when you open a non-winamp program.

If you had a backup of your system (like I do of mine C partitions) you could restore one of them … lets say … lost month image …. Or last summer. Then we could know that you have a problem with your windows (software issue).

But since you can not do that this way I am guessing that you are having problem with your hardware. Usually power supply is the main cause of this, then mother board, then audio card. Power supply does not work correctly so one of the components reacts because it’s not receiving the correct power.

Also if the power in your house is not ok this could also be a problem because a low-budget power supply will not deal with extreme external powers. That’s why some good power supplies cost over 100$. Try to plug your pc somewhere else in the house, try at friends home. Also try exchanging your power supply and your audio card with your friend just to be sure. Mother boards are difficult to exchange.

I hope I understood you correctly that you have clicks when you use a program that is not winamp. You did not answer what happens when you use windows media player.

My mother language is not English … I could misunderstood you.

I am using 5.12 version and you can convert mp3 to wav … I don’t see why 5.24 would not do that.

9. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

foobar2000 > winamp (unless you're using winamp 2.x..)

10. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

iTunes
    It's all you need

11. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

itunes ==> :hang:

:grin: (no i dont own an ipod)

12. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

I dont' have an Ipood either. But iTunes works fine for my mp3s

13. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

meh.. not a big fan of apple software running on windows.. no idea why just doesn't tick in my mind

and i have a vendetta against DRM after sony screwed up my computer and i had to reformat.

14. PatMaGroin

Never. It tried to take over my computer when I got my iPod, and I vowed to never use it again.

What is this you speak off?

Well not bad clicks, its the natural little noise WinXP makes when you open an IM window, a new browser window, anything like that. My old winamp didnt do it, this one does, whenever a song ends/is skipped.

15. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

http://www.foobar2000.org/
    It's an advanced audio player for windows. I like it because it basically uses no memory while playing and the UI is completely customizable (although it takes a little time to learn)

And many people like winamp version 2.95 because it's the last version before 3 when it became more bloated. However, I dont use version 2.95 that much because it's stuck on the classic skin which is a bit too small for me.

16. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

the newer winamp cant play windows media files using directsouind, unless you copy an older windows media plugin from around v2.62 iirc

i use winamp v5.07 with the wm plugin from v2.62 using directsound
    winamp had thousands of v2 skins, v5 supports them fine

http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=winamp

17. hacchantal

hacchantal IncGamers Member

One thing I have to say about Winamp... I HATE IT. Oh and another thing, I hate when you play a song, and when it's done, it plays it again!!! Like you gotta literally press STOP so it doesn't play over and over again. Very annoying for when you play 30 second clips of something. Ehm.. I don't know how to change that, but I deleted the program anyways. :azn:

/rant

18. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

easy solution, click the repeat button again then it will play the song once then stop

19. Rabbitz

Rabbitz IncGamers Member

Easy fix, stop using win amp.

20. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

Try foobar.

One of the drawbacks to my switching to linux is that there is no linux port of foobar2000. Yes. It's that good. Better than any other player out there. By far. Get it now.