Help Wanted

Bortaz

Banned
Help Wanted

Man, what a job! Don't you want to apply?

Stephen Hawking Looking for Assistant
Friday, September 08, 2006

LONDON — Wanted: bright graduate student to assist world-famous scientist. International travel, developing computer systems and dealing with the press required.

Renowned astrophysicist and best-selling author Stephen Hawking has announced he is looking for a graduate student to work for him one to two years.

The mathematics professor at the University of Cambridge has done groundbreaking work on black holes and the origins of the universe, making him one of the best-known theoretical physicists of his generation.

The candidate can earn about $44,300 and would likely join Hawking his many travels abroad, according to a job posting on the university's Web site.

Planning lectures, maintaining computer, answering public inquiries and helping with scientific papers are a few of the responsibilities.

One purpose of the job was to aid the professor in areas which he has difficulty due to his disability, the posting said.

The ailing 64-year-old scientist uses a wheelchair and communicates with the help of a computer.

article said:
One purpose of the job was to aid the professor in areas which he has difficulty due to his disability, the posting said
So going to the bathroom and such or just typing stuff out and getting books of the shelf?

If I were anywhere near smart enough for that I would apply in an instant.

Bortaz

Banned
Applicants should send a covering letter, full CV and completed PD18 form and the names of two referees who can be contacted immediately. This information should be sent to Ms Judith Croasdell, DAMTP, Centre for Mathematical Sciences, Wilberforce Road, Cambridge CB3 0WA, e-mail: [email protected].
Is that a typo, or is it a uniquely British form of the word 'references'?

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Heh, you get paid the same crap as other graduates...

I'm qualified and available. Not much point applying though. For one thing I don't want to travel because my wife is here, for another I'm not fond of physics. Particularly because I'm highly sceptical of a lot of it, especially in his field.

And also I'm sure there are millions of more impressive postgrads.