Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Help! Think i've messed up my build

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Sir Chumpalot, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Sir Chumpalot

Sir Chumpalot IncGamers Member

Help! Think i've messed up my build

I'm relatively new to this so you'll have to bear with me I'm afraid.

The intention was to create a Hammerdin. However this seems to have gone horribly wrong for some reason.

The problem lies with the fact that I'm not doing much damage. Only 1.5k with hammers and around 350 with melee. This is quite frankly pathetic when running hell on your own which is what I want to be able to do to get drops etc...

My skills and gear are as follows:

lvl 81 Paladin

Max Hammer
    Max Blessed Aim
    Max Vigor
    Max Holy Sheild
    Odd points in Smite, and other prerequisites

Gear
    Griswolds Valor
    Griswolds Heart (Ral Ort Thul)
    Grisworlds Honor (thinking a few perfect diamonds?)
    Spirit sword
    Waterwalk sharkskin boots
    Saracens Chance Amu
    Raven Frost ring
    Few charms

I'm simply not doing enough damage when it comes to Hell runs. I'm fine in a group but solo is awful.

Do I need a merc to run with me to boost my stats? If so, what gear should I give him? I've heard about 'Insight'. What does this do and how can I make/get one? Is it just a normal drop?

Should I perhaps do a few Nightmare runs to benefit from drops that way to boost my gear further? Or is my MF not going to make a difference?

Thanks for any help you can give me, I've probably missed a few things out but hey, I'm just starting.

Cheers

Dave

2. DH Amazon

DH Amazon IncGamers Member

Re: Help! Think i've messed up my build

Are you using aura too? Concentration aura boost you damage a lot, so you should max that too. That 1.5k hammer goes up to 6k or more when aura is on. More than enough while soloing.

And you need more fcr, aim for 75 or 125 fcr. Make spirit in pala shield. That griswold is bad set for hammer.

2x spirit, vipermagi/stealth and shako/lore(ort sol) is good start for hammer. Wizzpike is good too if you have resist problems or if you aim for 125 fcr

Insight is runeword
    ----
    4 Socket Polearms (Ral + Tir + Tal + Sol)
    Level 12-17 Meditation Aura When Equipped (varies)
    +200-260% Enhanced Damage (varies)
    180-250% Bonus to Attack Rating (varies)
    +1-6 To Critical Strike (varies)

You need to use aura (always) at right side and use left side for hammers.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  3. Sir Chumpalot

Thanks for the reply,

So after all this trading to get the Gris set it's bad for a hammer? lol. Sucks.

This might be a stupid question, but how can I have both concentration and hammer selected at once? I thought it was just one or the other?

4. RealmOftheWolf

RealmOftheWolf IncGamers Member

Left Click - Blessed hammer
    Right click - Concentration

Damage with just blessed hammer,Vigor,blessed aim and Concentration maxed with 0 + skills.

Magic damage: 1293 - 1320 (ø1306.5)
    Magic damage (Concentration Aura on): 3523 - 3597 (ø3560)

5. Sir Chumpalot

OK, now that I have reset my skills, damage (with concentration is around 4010 -4088 max). I am however still getting killed in Hell, and quite badly.

My resistances are all around 70-75 mark. I'm not quite sure what to work on next... or whether to start with a sorceress.

6. DH Amazon

You have max block? With couple points in Holy Shield, you need ~100 dex or more to get max block.
    Use redemption (1-point) to get life and mana back.
    How much fcr you have now?
    What area(s) are you running?

Use merc, act3 cold is nice (he survives quite nicely even without good items).

7. Sir Chumpalot

Thanks for the reply.

I have 130 dex. Block is 69% I have put 1 point into redemption. (now level 5 due to item boosts).

How can I tell what my FCR is? The only thing altering my FCR is the Spirit sword.

I struggled in Act5 to make any sort of a run without lots of healing etc.

8. DH Amazon

FCR
    You just add together all fcr from all your items. That one fcr item is not enough. Monsters go through your hammers field way too easily.
    One good break point is 75fcr (by using spirit shield and spirit sword and magefist/trang gloves you should reach it). Add vipermagi, 10 fcr rings etc... if you go after 125 fcr.

Hell Chaos is good area for Hammer. Always same monsters, so its quite easy to survive.

9. Millipede

Millipede IncGamers Member

also, hold down shift button and left click before monsters run up to you. (makes you stand still and cast hammers without having to target anything) it creates a field of hammers they have to run through to get to you first. and by the time they reach you, they should be dead

10. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai IncGamers Member

If you do have a full gris set, they are good for one particular build, the foher. You'd end up wanting to lite facets for all your sockets tho. Unlike sorcs, you have your own stronger conviction aura.

11. chenw

chenw IncGamers Member

Since the OP didn't know about Concentration with Blessed Hammer, i thought I might add a few facts:

1. Blessed Hammer's Damage is ONLY boosted by the Concentration aura, Fanaticism and Might does Zilch to it.

2. A Hammerdin is a caster, so equip your gear with lots of + Skills and FCR. Since you are a paladin, I suggest running around Pits or the likes and find ANY white/grey paladin shield with 0 or 4 open sockets and with +30 or more resistances, +40 if possible. Make a Spirit out of that and your FCR will jump up quite a bit.

If you are struggling with more FCR, stealth is a cheap way of getting 25% more. Magefists and Trang-ouls are easy to get FCR gloves (by trades or by MFing).

If resists are your main concern, Wizardspike is an excellent choice, gives +50% FCR and 75 resist all. No Skills though so try to get a high resist spirit pally shield to go with it.

Chaos sanctuary is pretty good for a Hammerdin to run because the large amount of undead in it. If you find it too hard, Pits/Ancient tunnels are good alternatives. They can drop everything in the game, albeit rarely. They are good for surprises and odd Grey/white weapons though.

12. Sir Chumpalot

Well guys, after putting a few hours in at the weekend I must say I now have restored faith in my Paladin (and other Bnet users).

Made a couple of runs with 2 other users who were really friendly and they gave me some sound advice. I've ditched both my Griswold shield in favour of HOZ (183% ED just need Um to put in there - not a bad one I thought) and have swapped out my Spirit sword for a Wizardspike. Cast rate is much better (though still working on getting to 75) and hammers are more effective. One question on this, I've heard about fcr breakpoints, 75 and 125? What does this mean?

I need to set my sites on a good Shako and some better armour I think. Need to set up a mule to carry all these low runes and gems too :)

One thing I have noticed is that there are plenty of users out there who actually aren't willing to help at all. In fact they try their best to rip you off. I had one guy offer me a HoZ with 151% ed and I politely declined (I had Mal). He then proceeded to call me a noob, which I fully admit I am, insulted me further and then left. Nice I thought. Then, you have others on there who are more than willing to help you out, and in some cases even give you free stuff.

Rant over :)

13. SeCKSEgai

Sorry to hear about your frustrations - I'm all too familiar with the general nature of bnet. On these forums you'll find some of the most generous people, whether it be with time (providing info/discussions etc) or even items. I don't think I would have lasted on bnet as long as I did otherwise.

Unfortunately, as you've experienced firsthand, a lot of people are pretty rude. I would say the majority since most characters on-line these days don't have an active player behind it. And considering how little effort these people put in, the greed is enough to blow your mind.

As for the HoZ, I would say it was overpriced, but at least he didn't try to sell you a zakarum unid. The attitude he gave you will probably be a frequent one short of trading on these forums. Traders on the forums here are generally far more respectful and courteous. I can't recall having one problem trading with people here.

FCR breakpoints are numbers that effectively improve how many frames it takes to cast a spell. 75 and 125 are the main two paladin breakpoints respectively. As a second in game is 25 frames, it takes a certain percentage of fcr to improve. For example, 75 and 77 fcr will take the same amount of frames to cast (as in they're just as fast). It's not until 125 till you see improvement again.

14. Sir Chumpalot

Thank you for the information on breakpoints. Much appreciated.

I think my problem is I'm setting my sights on gear that is completely out of my league. I've severely underestimated the amount of time and effort it would take to get such equipment. I think the Wizardspike and HoZ are a good start. I'm not quite sure on what armour to aim for though. I like the Griswold armour but realise it's completely useless for a Hammerdin. Any suggestions at all please?

I didn't realise you could trade on here. For some reason I thought it was against the rules. I'll check it out.

Thanks again for your help.

Dave

15. SeCKSEgai

Well if you had a full griswald set, that means you aren't dirt poor ;) Last time I was on ladder this season on West, the new market meant even full gris set was relatively cheap - but its still valuable, definitely more so than IK.

Assuming you still have the full set, my previous suggestion of an FoHer would be ideal for the set.

Hdins on the other hand require one virtually essential piece - the Enigma, which can be quite costly. An hdin doesn't "need" it, but without one it loses its magic. Problem is, you may end up having an easier time finding the runes than trading for it. In previous seasons, it was much easier to acquire it, but in this latest season, you're competing with a sea of bots. While the elimination of a duping method has reduced worries that a HR you trade for will suddenly poof, the values have changed dramatically.

16. Sir Chumpalot

I see.

I never had Redemption. Just the helm, armour and shield. I now have HoZ so imo no point in keeping either of the other pieces. What is an FoHer? Excuse my naivety.

The runes for Enigma seem obtainable though it will obviously take time. I'm slowly building up quite a stash of gems and mid level runes so this will help I'm sure.

I'm liking the idea of being able to teleport. Will make runs much faster and easier too.

What about headgear? Shako?

17. RealmOftheWolf

RealmOftheWolf IncGamers Member

Okay you have got started with a decent set up already so ill help you out.

Headgear - Shako this should be obtainable and would improve you significantly.
    Weapon - Wizard Spike is great and you can maybe upgrade to Heart of the Oak some time later.
    Armor - Aim for vipermaji to start with enigma coming in later.
    HoZ

A excellent starting set up for a hammerdin on the cheap ish.

This will give you

3 to all skills
    80 Faster cast rate
    and up to 160 all resistances

1 point in redemption is worth it but no more into it, Let +skills boost it.

18. Sir Chumpalot

Excellent, thanks for the advice. I'm already halfway there really with the Wizzy and HoZ. Next up is the Shako I think.

I have 1 point in redemption. 1 point also in Holy Shield? Should I put as many points in Holy shield as I can to boost its duration?

Thanks

edit: Am I right in thinking that Vipermagi is worth 1 Lem? Or 10-12 Pgems? Not too bad.

19. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

You play on europe - softcore - ladder right?

I can give you a vipermagi for free :)

<-- my account name so you can contact me.

20. Sir Chumpalot

Yeah I play softcore ladder.

I do appreciate the offer and will definitely contact you online a bit later. I do however like the idea of MFing as much of my gear as possible just for the satisfaction of it all. Hope that doesn't insult you in any way. Edit: Can always trade for a few PGems. I'm sure you'll have use for them :)

Out of interest, what is the resistance on it? :)