Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Help, please....Two questions.

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by JCSahyan, May 17, 2008.

1. JCSahyan

JCSahyan IncGamers Member

Help, please....Two questions.

I hope I'm not violating the rule against repeat posts in overly quick succession, but I posted a couple of questions yesterday, and I'm wondering whether I might have put them in the wrong forum, so...I'll try here, if I may.

My first question is how something like "absorb cold" (or fire, etc.) differs from *resistance* to the particular element. I suspect it must be better, but exactly what's it do?

Second....Can anybody help me with the way to put sockets into Ethereal items using the Cube? I know this question has been discussed a lot, because I saw talk about it when I first signed on here, a couple years ago. At the time, I was too new to the game to pay a lot of attention to such sophisticated stuff. Now that I'm getting back into it, I need some help; at least I'd love it if somebody could direct me to where I can find the information I need, if not actually talk me through it. (My impression was that it's complicated, perhaps too much so for me to get that kind of hands-on help.)

Thanks, folks, for letting me presume on your collective good nature, with some fairly unsmart questions.

Joe Sahyan

2. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Re: Help, please....Two questions.

Click on your username and select "find all posts", then click on those posts or thread titles.

You have posts/threads in both the Newcomer Forum and the DiabloIII Forum.

And since I noticed it, we do not allow the word filter to be bypassed, don't do it again: http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?p=3932720#post3932720

3. Atomium

Atomium IncGamers Member

Re: Help, please....Two questions.

The Resistance diminishes the damage by your resistance % to that element.
    Absorb increases your life by the amount of the damage you would normally receive (regarding the % of course). In a way, Absorb = Resistance x 2.
    At some point, if you have lots of Res and Absorb, you can gain life when attacked! :shocked: Very difficult to accomplish, though...

Regarding the socketing question, I copied the following from the Arreat Summit. I don't read that it doesn't work with ethereal items. I guess you should try one of those formulas and check if it works. Good luck.

3 Standard Gems (normal) and 1 Socketed Weapon (Any Type) = 1 Socketed Magic Weapon (of same type)
    This takes a socketed weapon and makes it a magic socketed weapon with a random number of sockets. This allows you to get new magic bonuses on an otherwise non magical weapon. The original weapon properties will be removed (rerolled) when the new weapon is created. ilvl = 30. It gets 1-2 sockets.

3 Chipped Gems + 1 Magic Weapon = Socketed Magic Weapon
    This adds sockets to a magic weapon. The original magic weapon properties will be removed (rerolled) when the new weapon is created. If you use this formula with a weapon that is not normally socketed such as a Javelin, this recipe will create a new magical weapon without any sockets. ilvl=25 magic weapon with 1-2 sockets.

3 Flawless Gems + 1 Magic Weapon = Socketed Magic Weapon
    This adds sockets to a magic weapon. The original magic weapon properties will be removed (rerolled) when the new weapon is created. If you use this formula with a weapon that is not normally socketed such as a Javelin, this recipe will create a new magical weapon without any sockets. ilvl=30 magic weapon with 1-2 sockets.

1 Tal Rune + 1 Thul Rune + 1 Perfect Topaz + Normal Body Armor = Socketed Body Armor of same type
    The number of sockets created will vary. The item must be normal and unsocketed. Low-quality items and superior items do not work. The item gets 1-4 sockets, randomly. However, the number of sockets is then restricted by the maximum number of sockets that base item with that ilvl can have. The chance to get X sockets in most armor is 1/4 (I.E: Mage plate has a max of 3 sockets, so it has a 2/4 [1/2] chance to get 3 sockets). The base of 6 was used in the ratios for all the above mentioned areas.

1 Ral Rune + 1 Amn Rune + 1 Perfect Amethyst + Normal Weapon = Socketed Weapon of same type
    The number of sockets created will vary. The item must be normal and unsocketed. Low-quality items and superior items do not work. The item gets 1-6 sockets, randomly. However, the number of sockets is then restricted by the maximum number of sockets that base item with that ilvl can have. For example, if you have an item that can only have 2 sockets, there's a 5/6 chance of getting 2 sockets and a 1/6 chance of getting 1 socket.

1 Ral Rune + 1 Thul Rune + 1 Perfect Sapphire + Normal Helm = Socketed Helm of same type
    The number of sockets created will vary. The item must be normal and unsocketed. Low-quality items and superior items do not work. The item gets 1-3 sockets, randomly. However, the number of sockets is then restricted by the maximum number of sockets that base item with that ilvl can have. For example, if you have an item that can only have 2 sockets, there's a 2/3 chance of getting 2 sockets and a 1/3 chance of getting 1 socket.

1 Tal Rune + 1 Amn Rune + 1 Perfect Ruby + Normal Shield = Socketed Shield of same type
    The number of sockets created will vary. The item must be normal and unsocketed. Low-quality items and superior items do not work. The item gets 1-4 sockets, randomly. However, the number of sockets is then restricted by the maximum number of sockets that base item with that ilvl can have. For example, if you have an item that can only have 2 sockets, there's a 3/4 chance of getting 2 sockets and a 1/4 chance of getting 1 socket.