Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

help Petunya become a blizzy

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by humbuggerer, Aug 30, 2009.

1. humbuggerer

humbuggerer Diabloii.Net Member

help Petunya become a blizzy

So, I finally decided that I enjoyed the mindless repetition of MFing and decided to build a pure blizzard sorc. She will be an all-around MFer.

I have a couple questions about optimization, but I don't know what her final gear will be as I don't have all that much stuff yet.

(I realize that the info I need is probably around somewhere on the forums, but, unfortunately, every time I attempt to use the search function, my computer gives me an electric shock. :( )

Questions:

1. How many points is too many in cold mastery?

2. Opinions on glacial spike vs. ice blast as non-timered spell? I'm leaning towards ice blast, so I plan to max ice bolt as synergy first before glacial spike for the extra damage to ice blast.

3. Has anyone tried shaeling the shield of a max-block sorc for the extra block rate? Is it worth it? (it seems like the 'max block or not' question is a matter of taste...)

Thanks in advance, SPF!

2. Ohomemgrande

Ohomemgrande Diabloii.Net Member

Re: help Petunya become a blizzy

My preference for pure Blizzard is:

1 pt static field, telekenisis, teleport, warmth
    20 pts Blizzard, Cold Mastery, Glacial Spike, Ice Blast, Ice Bolt

If you're doing MF, Hell Mephisto has 75% cold resistance so a level 32 cold mastery will make Hell Mephy have -100% cold resistance. That's much better than maxing all of the synergies to Blizzard. Also, to maintain optimal effectiveness, keep the number of hard blizzard synergy points about 2-3 more than the displayed cold mastery skill until it is maxed.

I've tried both Glacial Spike and Ice Blast and prefer Glacial Spike for its larger area effect although both are effective.

My Blizzard sorc is never in the thick of battle so I prefer max-vita over max-block but if you do go with max-block, FBR is always nice. If you are going with Spirit, I think max-block is too expensive with that shield. If play with RWM, there's no reason not to equip a 35% FCR Spirit because +skills/FCR are what you want with a sorceress.

Good luck

3. potter

potter Diabloii.Net Member

on the matter of glacial vs blast, it depend on your target.
    Single creatures/bosses = ice blast
    Freezable groups = glacial spike

4. humbuggerer

Thanks for the replies :)

I agree in principle, but I'm considering max block because I'm vanilla as of yet, and my 'toon' control is also very sloppy. :whistling:

Oh, and I have one more reason to go max block... if I can just get mal + ist.

5. o1d_dude

o1d_dude Diabloii.Net Member

I'm a big fan of Max Block sorcies so two things:

1. The Spirit shield WILL be too expensive to achieve Max Block in terms of points in Dex.

2. That being said, a PD Stormshield and sufficient strength to equip it will require significantly less investment in Dex but some in Str. The strength required for the Stormshield will allow you to equip a CtA axe instead of cobbling together yet ANOTHER CtA in a crystal sword.

Max Block is far more forgiving of play errors than Max Life.

PS. Pump your cold skills tree first and Cold Mastery last.

6. DudSpud

DudSpud Diabloii.Net Member

7. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot Diabloii.Net Member

That's a matter of opinion, not fact. Personally, I'd state the opposite.

Blocking sorcs have lower life (especially with the str/dex requirements of max-block stormshield), therefore are easier to force into 'recovery' (3 attacks out of 4 will hit your shield and force block recovery, and the remaining 1 out of 4 has a better chance of forcing hit recovery because of your lower life).

To me, avoiding 'recovery' (both kinds) is much more critical to my safety than avoiding damage - I can drink a potion for damage and keep rolling along without pause. But with forced recovery, I'm simply stuck until the animation completes (though potions work here too, there's nothing you can do to avoid getting hit again while you're stuck in recovery animation - and if you get hit again, your animation might get restarted before you can recover). And getting 'stuck' in recovery like this in the wrong situation obviously can turn out very badly.

Block recovery and hit recovery are both slow on sorcs (so FHR and FBR are important), and it's easier to avoid both if you go pure-vit. Likewise, sometimes the best defense is a good offense - and if you're not forced into recovery, the spells you're trying to cast won't be interrupted.

~10 in CM to start with isn't a bad idea, then synergize everything, before returning to finish CM at level ~85. Without much for +skills, you'll get more out of CM early on.

Though getting to level ~85 isn't especially difficult, so the order isn't critical - you could synergize first and still do well.

PS. I once had a cow named Petunya. She made tasty hamburgers.

8. Ohomemgrande

Ohomemgrande Diabloii.Net Member

Regarding when to add points to Cold Mastery, it's good to remember that the "resistance" term in the damage equation multiplies with the base damage (Blizzard skill level) and the "synergy" term (determined by hard synergy points).

Since it multiplies, the optimal point progression/distribution is not all of one type followed by all of the other. As a simple example, think of this:

You need to multiply 2 numbers to come up with the highest product and they are constrained to add up to 10. Adding one point of CM and the rest into synergies is like multiplying 1 by 9. You get 9. Finding the optimal balance is like multiplying 5 by 5. You get 25 which is much bigger than 9.

If Blizzard is you're main skill, the optimal balance is when your Cold Mastery displayed skill level is 2-3 points lower than the total number of hard Blizzard synergy points. This is true for monsters with natural 0% cold resistance (most of Normal/NM). As monsters begin to have cold resistance, the Cold Mastery Skill level should be a bit higher than 2-3 above the synergy points.

However, in practice, if you build your sorceress by alternating CM and synergy once Blizzard is maxed, you'll be maxing CM towards the end of NM as you enter Hell. At that point, you won't be able to maintain the optimal balance because you'll run out of CM points and you won't be able to drive monster cold resistance past -100% (which varies depending on the monster but most monsters in Hell have at least 25-33% cold resistance so a CM skill of 22-23 is still useful). If you do this, you won't notice the "huge drop-off in effectiveness" in your cold skills when you enter Hell. You'll also have the strongest possible Blizzard as you quest and things will go faster. Your LCS won't reflect your true damage but if you're driving enemy cold resistance to -100%, you're really doing double damage of what's listed on the LCS.

Read this thread for more detail and the math behind it. It also applies to the Fire and Lightning trees so it's good information.

9. humbuggerer

Just to be clear, I am SC and twinked (and yeah, /p8 NM is stupid easy)

@DudSpud: ohm+mal+ist+some other runes = call to arms = lots of life for any character

@everybody: I was thinking whistans if I went max block, for the lowest possible dexterity investment. Not to mention, I don't have any of the other possible shields (except visceratuant) ...
    is using whistans sacrificing too much for the all-around build?

"lol" :thumbsup:

edit: thanks for the link Ohomemgrande

10. buckies

buckies Diabloii.Net Member

I'm totally not sold on max block. My level 93 sorc has 2K life with her CTA, and the only things that ever sting her a bit are nasty packs of Gloams in the throne on Baal runs (even though she has 75 light res). She's also hitting the 105% FCR rate. Under these conditions, max block would have been a deep regret. I would much rather take an occasional hit and cast my blizzards of death than be stuck in the blocking animation and not doing any damage.

If you do get a good whack on max block, you'll be dead if it gets you. Especially against a fanat lister or moon lord.

I really can't see the need for max block over all vita for PvM sorc, especially once spirit is agreed as a viable choice.

Each to their own though, I just wouldn't want to see you level the sorc to something really high before realising that all vita would have done the job and increased run times.

11. humbuggerer

Hmm. starting to see what people are saying about max block.

I guess ultimately this is the point.. I just realized that max block w/ CtA is not the best of both worlds since blocking occurs before not going into hit recovery :scratchhead: or something like that. Factor in elemental damage and nerfed block when running, and max block seems less good. Anyway, I don't like being stuck in animations.

max vita it will be then.

Thanks guys

12. Asmodeous

Asmodeous Diabloii.Net Member

Ah, the old vita versus block sorceress.

There is a third choice as well for you to consider. The defence sorceress. Well, it's not a distinct third choice, rather something you can combine with a vita sorceress to give her extra survivability.

Defence unlike block does not proc an animation when it defeats an attack and it is checked first before shield blocking. Setting up a defence on a sorceress can be quite easy. You do need to be using items with decent defence such as tals armor or you can upgrade other armors and items such as Skin of the viper to elite to give it a nice defence boost. Then you find an orb or rune word that has a cold armor on switch and combine with a defence merc. Good thing about a defence merc is that you give them good defence items and it helps the merc stay alive too.

I find it's pretty easy to reach a defence of around 6,000 kay or more for the cost of your merc choice and your weapon switch (or one skill point) and you can achieve a chance to be hit of around 35% which is comparable to shield blocking without the hit recovery animation and it combines with the vita sorceress build very nicely.

13. BobTheWarrior

BobTheWarrior Diabloii.Net Member

Iirc, up'd Viscerauant has the same block % as Whistans, but you get +1 sorc skills. It's been awhile since I built my max block sorc, but when I was doing my research I determined this to be the best option. I don't think I ever mat'd her, can't find a mat thread about her . . .

That being said, I'm not a fan of max block sorcs. I have hosted many hundreds of baal runs with max vita sorcs and feel that having high life to keep out of hit recovery has saved me dozens of times at the cost of some HP rather than having blocked an attack and been stuck for a few frames while recovering. I do not hold rejuvies, I use only super healing potions and a high FCR.

I have tried Asmo's idea of a max Def/Vita sorc, and generally I like it. I wore my Fortitude for the ctc lvl 15 chilling armor and had a defiance mercenary. Iirc I was able to get over 8k defence and ~1200 life with CTA. I've thought about trying to rebuild/regear one of my sorc's to maximize defense (probably a pure blizzard with a maxed cold armor, sacrificing points in a blizzard synergy or CM depending on +skills). I much prefer this to a max block sorceress, for the reasons sirpoopsalot mentioned, keeping mobile and recovery animations are mutually exclusive.

14. humbuggerer

Actually trying to get high defense on a sorc .. certainly I hadn't considered this :scratchchin: it's an interesting idea. I'll have to do some research.