Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

[Help] One handed gaming builds!

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Virtue, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Virtue

Virtue IncGamers Member

[Help] One handed gaming builds!

So, not quite like "oh look I have a sword and shield!". More like, I can pretty much just play with one hand right now. So the question I have, is besides the obvious Necro/Druid summoner, what other characters/builds do you think would be the easiest to pull this off?

Not sure if I were to do this Twinked or not, that'd be a game time decision. I'll probably mess around on my trav barb or well I think that's it for my current builds I have. Oh, also let me mention it's my off-hand that I'll be using so even if it's a more risky build you suggest, my reaction time will be delayed about a second.

Here's to hopefully some interesting ideas, and maybe a mat/pat/guardian with only my left hand!!

EDIT: I think it would be more interesting to do an off the cuff build, which is why I dont want to do the lazy summoner. Which would also be any generic Zeal pally imo. (That and I already have too many of them oon the go.)

Well, years ago I did damage to both wrists. Took Physiotherapy for years, got them back to about half strength. Friday I went out golfing and on my second shot from fescue (basically thick thick rough) my club caught in my downswing and sent an intense pain throughout my wrist. Any weight I put on it, sends waves of pain. Clicking with a mouse also causes irritation.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  2. jamesixgun

jamesixgun IncGamers Member

Re: [Help] One handed gaming builds!

Edit: disregard. I have no idea.

Frost Zealot. No question. There's virtually no need to change skills at any point (unless you want to charge up Holy Shield). And it's pretty much a hold-down-RMB sort of build that can make it through untwinked with little difficulty.

I'll assume you know what skills the build involves.

Other than that, maybe a Tesladin, though you have to wait a bit longer for the elemental skill, and don't get the slow provided by Holy Frost (though I guess there's some amount of stun for some of the enemies, idk: never played one).

And gogo revenge of the double-daily posting!

3. TheReadMenace

TheReadMenace IncGamers Member

Blade Fury w/ Death Sentry & Holy Fire Ranger come to mind. Both require somewhat precision aiming and potentially needing to hold Shift at the right time. Singers could be doable since you just need to run around and right-click, but may need potions since they're in the grill of every monster around (getting to clvl30 may be a problem, too). Javazons? Dunno, just throwing ideas out there...

4. Virtue

Virtue IncGamers Member

The holding of shift could cause an issue, I'm using the touch pad on my laptop instead on a mouse so trying to control both with on hand could be a little more than an ordeal.

5. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod IncGamers Member

MP games are the best way to play one handed. Play an enchantress or warcries barb and keep the team buffed.

6. CorruptedMollusk

CorruptedMollusk IncGamers Member

Frenzy barb. You'll need to change skills for the appropriate war cries(shout/BO/BC), and perhaps taunt, but the rest is hold down right click and carry on smartly. Can't remember if taunt can be put on left click, but if it can, you dont even have to change for that.

CM

7. naranjadita

naranjadita IncGamers Member

A Wolfbarb or a Bearbarb. 4.5k life and 15k def is what you get at least (even more with the latter as bears have been buffed up in 1.13).
    A wind druid being twinked can also fall under category of "1-handers" (of course, if you don't go hell /p8 baalruns with him).

8. neumein

neumein IncGamers Member

Oh dear. When I read the thread title, I assumed this was some sort of masturbation joke. It appears that; A. this thread is in fact about D2, and B. My mind is filthy. Carry on.

9. Pijus

Pijus IncGamers Member

Here's a tip. Let's say you have a skelemancer. Set Amp damage to hotkey1, and CE to otkey2, and now you can switch between those two skills with the mouswheel very easily. You can also drink pots by right-clicking on them in your belt.

I find my Strafer/FA amazon pretty decent with one hand. Strafe and FA are adjacent, so I can switch between then by turning the mouswheel just one notch. Ofc this depends on your mouse settings. While we're on settings, don't forget to switch your mouse to the left handed mode.

I wouldn't suggest a barb, since you need alot of hotkeyes for warcries. Wouldn't suggest something that needs to switch weapons, like a fishyzon. I supposed a well equiped barb would work, since you'd need less warcries.

What about a fury wolf or a maul/fireclaws bear?

10. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

May I ask why only one hand, or why you cannot use a mouse?

Most of builds can be played with only one hand majority of time, however, it will be easier if you use a proper mouse.

With touch pad, it is very hard to switch skills, particularly with only one hand.

Normally, after you assigned skills to hot-key, you can use mouse wheel to switch between them. I do this almost all the time (I play HC, so you can be sure this is safe to do so). The only problem with one hand is when you need really fast skill switch or use potion quickly. Both are a little harder to overcome, if not impossible.

My only suggestion is to stay with SC if you play with only one hand.

11. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

My mouse wheel doesn't work in Vista. Anyone have an idea as to how to get it to work? Also, the buttons on the mouse, other than the main two, don't register when I'm in the options menu. It's a G5 gaming mouse... so it's a pretty good one, with all the latest drivers installed. I'm ok with it not working, but it would be sweet if it did. Sorry for the hyjack.

Edit: I've tried all the things that are recommended in the tech support forums. It seems that some people have the problem, and others don't. I've yet to see a post there from someone who has solved the problem. I've tried running as an admin, changing compatability modes, installing different mouse drivers... working within the mouse driver to change the function... all sorts of stuff. I've even tried using a different mouse.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  12. Virtue

Virtue IncGamers Member

Well, years ago I did damage to both wrists. Took Physiotherapy for years, got them back to about half strength. Friday I went out golfing and on my second shot from fescue (basically thick thick rough) my club caught in my downswing and sent an intense pain throughout my wrist. Any weight I put on it, sends waves of pain. Clicking with a mouse also causes irritation.

13. Shagsbeard

Sounds like you should really ask an occupational therapist if there's an alternative to a mouse/keyboard that you could work with. There's some really wierd input devices out there for people with injuries/handicaps.

14. nubikoen

nubikoen IncGamers Member

Am I the only one thinking you should go see a doctor with this and lay off the video games until you get better?

I don't think DII is important enough to justify jumping through hoops to get around pains and aches, to play.

As for your question, if you insist. Get a mouse with lots of buttons on, and play pretty much any build you like.

15. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

+1 .

16. DeathMaster

@Shagsbeard, I have two G5 mouse, they are the greatest mouse IMO. None of the wireless mouse works as gaming mouse. Even for old game like D2, wireless mouse is till crap regardless how much they may cost.

I don't know what have you tried. But if you remove the setpoint software, does the mouse wheel and extra buttons work? The should work with windows default driver. If they don't work, that means more likely than not, your vista is the problem. A clean reinstall might be the only fix as usual.

17. Shagsbeard

The wheel works fine in every application I've tried except for D2. I've tried it with setpoint and without.

18. Hammy

Hammy IncGamers Member

My "One-handed half asleep" character is a full-Mav's FA Zon. I use exactly two skills, and Valk only gets cast once per game. The set keeps you ridiculously safe, you don't need to pump dex so your life bulb is substantial, and a Prayer/Insight merc eliminates the need to drink potions... ever.

She has died exactly twice running AT from 77-89 (on a netbook), and both of those were from charging into a pack while watching TV. The safest, easiest character I have ever played, no contest. I still enjoy watch ten monsters at a time shatter into a billion pieces, which is probably the only reason I don't get bored out of my skull.

Frost Zealot is a close second, but they kill slower and still have issues with ranged attackers and unleechables.

Good luck, and I hope your wrist gets better. Mine are both also both screwed up as well, from marathon EQ sessions back in the day (playing a bard, ouch).

-Hammy

19. DeathMaster

What about other games? If you only have problem with D2, then you cannot blame the mouse. Mind you, D2 and G5 mouse works perfectly for me (on my laptop vista partition). I run D2 in 2D mode, you might give it a try.

20. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

My G5 worked fine in vista also, great mouse.