Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Help on ranged enchantress

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by mrp935, Apr 4, 2004.

1. mrp935

mrp935 IncGamers Member

Help on ranged enchantress

I know this is probably a bit of an odd build.

What skills would be most useful?
    Obviously Enchant, Fire Mastery, Warmth (not necessarily in that order)

But what else?
    I'm leaning towards a cold armor. Yes/no?
    If so, which one?

2. JustGotOwned

JustGotOwned IncGamers Member

You'll need a backup skill because of immunities, especially in A1 hell. I recommend orb as it doesnt cost that much to get up and going, throw in some mastery and boom you've got an inexpensive back up skill. I maxed fire mastery, enchant, 10 in warmth for synergy, 1 in tele and static. And put 10 in frozen armor. She uses a might merc for the dmg boost. Don't worry about leech, rely on red and blue pots and reflexes and hope you don't get a lag spike. Very fun build with a bow that has the "fires explosive arrows or bolts mod". My sorc uses shako, 3 to lightning 30 dex ammy, vipermagi with a 15ias 10dtm jewel in it, a shaeled kuko, raven, soj, razortail, cow kings boots, and magefists. On switch she has occy and lidless for orbing purposes. Very fun build and unusual. Good luck :thumbsup:

3. mrp935

mrp935 IncGamers Member

Do you need to worry about attack rating at all?
    Or do Explosive Arrows really actually always hit?

Does Might actually give that much of a boost, since your phys. damage would probably be pretty small anyway?
    Would maybe Holy Freeze be a better choice? Or else a cold rogue/sorc?

4. Darkwell

Darkwell IncGamers Member

mrp935

Keep in mind that enchant doesn't get the fire damage on a ranged weapon that a melee weapon gets. It seems to be around 1/4 to 1/3 as much. The AR is great but not needed with a fires explosive arrow/bolt weapon. Cold armor is a must. I use shiver armor for the better defence boost but only 10-12 points. For a merc, others are more knowledgable than I though, I do fancy the cold rogue merc and you have experience with her.
    What's up with your shadow archer. I've looked for updates. I have one myself, lvl 49, and would like to know how yours is doing. Still a pure shadow only? Have to resort to traps? Keep us informed.

5. mrp935

mrp935 IncGamers Member

OT: Shadow Archer

The link is here:
    http://www.rpgforums.net/showthread.php?t=139799

The thread sorta degenerates into an argument about the name of the build.
    But I'm basically at the same place I was when I last posted in it.
    I maxed BoS, Venom, CoS. I'm in nightmare basically leveling up the merc, but I decided to bite the bullet go with Shadow Master, even though I was unsure of the usefulness in hell. Oh well. If it doesn't work out, I can always remake and use traps instead.

I'm still hunting for Trang gloves, and maybe a Cliffkiller for the merc, among some of the other equip I mentioned in my posts there.

Progress is slow, but steady. A very fun, effective character so far.

As you might have guessed, I'm exploring the use of bows with every possible class (aside from zons). I'm looking to make a Hunter (druid) next, and then maybe even a Bowman (barb!). The only class I'm not going to try is the necro; no damage or AR buffs, no curses to lower enemy def = not worth it.

6. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

you could try putting up a thread in the necro forum, maybe somebody as some ideas. off the top of my head, i would say dim vision + upgraded buriza, buriza + lower resists, iron or blood or clay golem/golem mastery/summon resist/skellie mastery + any bow.

upgraded skystrike is not bad for the switch for cold immunes. i like the buriza for the max piercing.

7. mrp935

mrp935 IncGamers Member

Just Say 'No' to Necro

My only problem with necros in this sense is that they have no skills that add AR or damage of any kind to their ranged attacks (as I have said). So at best, you could blind the enemies and shoot them without them being able to shoot back... but miss every time and do only your base weapon damage.

You could add in some summons, similar to the Hunter, but they'd pretty much be doing all the work, so you might as well just hold a +skills wand and stand there looking pretty.

Basically, none of your skills really help you as a ranged attacker; for the necro to work at all in this manner is 100% equipment dependent. (i.e. you have a bow with lots of elemental damage; this would make Lower Resist useful. Maybe. But not that much. Or you could have an Explosive Arrow bow like Kuko, so you don't need to worry about AR.... but still do paltry damage.)

On a similar, but secondary note: am I the only one who thinks that a skill like "Raise Skeletal Archer" would be a lot cooler/more useful than "Revive"?

8. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

i go to the harem in a2 and revive those skellie archers with the magic arrow. :)

9. Darkwell

Darkwell IncGamers Member

mrp935

For AR, I put a 'passion' diamond bow on my hydra bowsorc and was very pleased with the results. Take a look at 'passion', 50-80% AR ,hit blinds target +10(very effective), lighting damage, MF, 160-210 ED, 25 IAS, monster flee and more. It's cheap, Dol Ort Eld Lem.

10. zaphette

zaphette IncGamers Member

Missed this thread when it first came up.

I've been playing a ranged enchantress (boweceress?). She is extreemly fun. I've been a zon player from way back in classic but I think this girl out-zons my zon.

The damage from enchant is amazing (You can't believe what the char screen says though).

I am currently lvl67 and finished with NM. I've been using a Kuko and just last night switched over to a Demon Machine. The speed difference is significant and I highy recomend it. I socketed it with a Nef.

For a merc I chose a Cold Rogue and gave her a Kuko as well (nef'd).

My secondary skill is Orb (for obvious reasons).

My basic strategy is to teleport rather than walk most of the time, hit an orb to slow everything down, and blast away with my fire enchanted howitzer. The reason for teleporting is concentration of fire (keeping my merc in the fight).

I have no cold armor. I'm planning on a few points in Lightning Mastery to use with a lightning bow. I threw a point in static just because.

Equipment is nothing special except for the Demon Machine. I cast enchant with a +3 enchant "Leaf" staff, a +3 fire skill circlet, and a +3 fire skill ammy. Then switch back to resistance gear for playing.

I started her with the intention of buffing my other chars for MF runs, but she's turned into one of my favorites. Good luck and have fun!