Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Help on hosting a wireless LAN game

Discussion in 'MP Forum' started by NoJive, May 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NoJive

NoJive IncGamers Member

Help on hosting a wireless LAN game

Hello all! Searched around the forums here, and other places, but I cannot find exactly the info I need. What I would like to do is host a games on my desktop pc, and be able to join it with my laptop via wifi, or I could have some buddies bring their laptops over, and they could join via wifi. I have tried using the external IP from whatsmyip.com, but the laptop cannot connect to it. I am using a Linksys wifi router on the deskstop. I know about port forwarding and setting up the router, but since this is connecting via the intranet, I shouldn't have to mess with that, correct?

I suppose I could plug the laptop into the router, but that seems like a waste of wifi!

Thanks!

Jive

2. nepeta

nepeta IncGamers Member

Re: Help on hosting a wireless LAN game

Use the internal IP that's visible when you go [other multiplayer] -> [tcp/ip]. Also see the 'technical difficulties thread', stickied in this forum somewhere.

3. Pied

Pied IncGamers Member

The ip you got from IP from whatsmyip.com is your external IP adress.

In your own network every computer on the network gets there own network adress. Usually when you are using a router these ip numbers begin with 192.168.x.xxx. Everybody has to connect to the ip adress from your host.

You can look this if you create a game on the host computer. Its like nepeta said [other multiplayer] -> [tcp/ip] or you can see it in the game itself. Its right in the upper right corner of the screen if your minimap is up.

Goodluck.

4. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

As nepeta mentioned, there's a 'technical difficulties' thread for questions of this nature. Hopefully your problem's have already been addressed, but if not, please post further questions there.

Thread Closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.