Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Help on Hell Act 5

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Harleyquin, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Harleyquin

Harleyquin IncGamers Member

Help on Hell Act 5

My level 85 poison/summon hybrid has finally made it to Act 5 but is getting mauled badly in the Crystalline passage by Frenzytaur and Fireball-harpy boss packs. Does anyone have any idea what monster combinations can spawn in the crystalline passage, glacial trail and Ancient's Way? This would help when I do save and exit to make the reroll.

I only play in single player, so posters suggesting partying are wasting their time:lol:

2. Furball

Furball IncGamers Member

Can you provide some info on how you have allocated your skill points for your character?

3. Harleyquin

Skill point distribution:

20 Poison Dagger
    20 Poison Nova
    11 Poison explosion
    20 Raise skeleton
    10 Skeleton Mastery
    1 point every curse
    1 teeth
    1 Corpse Explosion
    1 Clay golem
    1 Golem Mastery
    1 Summon Resist

4. richo

richo IncGamers Member

well a summon/poison nec good enough for whole hell and maxing youre skelly first would had been rather usefull to start with max skeleton and mastery, as you already did, do you use lower resist or amp more as if youre minions do most fighting i would say use amp and a little confuse~~

but providing use with a total of stats, skills and gear would be very usefull though~~

rgzzz
    RICHO

edit: you already provided~~

5. Furball

Furball IncGamers Member

I'm not going to tell you to go start another character because you allocated your skills in a way I disagree with. Some people I've encountered over the years always say that; they aren't much help.

Based on the info you provided, you've got at least 5 more skill points you should be able to obtain in a reasonably short time (depending on how much you play and do baal runs). After that, leveling up starts getting time-consuming.

Personally I'd say to allocate those points into skeleton mastery. Your skellies should be your personal body guard unit at all times no matter how much of a bad*** necro you think you are. Necro is one of my other preferred chars and I never go anywhere without them. Mastery will give them more attack/defense capabilities and I think it can make a good amount of difference for you. Poison explosion? Well, good for short bursts obviously but if you're getting teamed up big time by lots of baddies, you need sustained "firepower" so to speak.

Do you have a merc? If not, you need one. I like defensive mercs for necros myself.

eta: You also mentioned you put 1 point in every curse. Do you use those curses actively? Decrepify is a favorite of mine because my merc has holy freeze. He freezes everyone, I shoot some decrep on them...heheh, even in hell those guys can barely move! Use that amplify damage after that on your skellies and watch 'em crumble.

6. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

i don't see much of a problem. 1pt ce can pretty much finish the game except against bosses, and you've got the poison for that.

i would also recommend 1 point in confuse. the AI branch of the curse tree is incredibly powerful.

7. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

Crowd control has always helped me the most in those areas. Are they just wasting your skeletons outright? If so, prebuffing them with items on switch should help. Precursing areas with confusion or DV can help a lot too. That keeps them off your back long enough to figure out which ones to hit with attract and then stack that with LR, a nova, and then amp/CE.

How's your Merc's gear? I try to keep mine geared up with heavy hitting weapons so corpses drop faster and I can CE.

8. Dancolen

Dancolen IncGamers Member

Skel mastery doesnt affect atk/def ratings to my knowledge.

He did the smart thing and maxed RS

Finish putting into Psn Explosion and max your poison nova through the explosion and dagger synergies.

Try decryptify at the onset of every battle, and keep it up if youve got the mana, Dim vision what you can to limit how much your skellies have to fight.

Keep your merc equipped well if possible, he is one of the main keys to killing things. Is your poison not doing much damage(ie resistant monsters) or are they immune or are your skellies just falling too fast.

When you come on a group of monsters, through attract and Dim Vision at them, then Decryp those that make it to your skellies. After a corpse or two hits the ground throw amp up there on them or keep decryp and pop your CE a few times.

And sorry but I dont really know the monster distribution.

9. vagrantrogue

vagrantrogue IncGamers Member

a few points into AI curses, and a point into revive should help. assuming you have a few +skill items, you can raise a few revives to tank while your merc and skellies and PN do the rest of the dmg. what merc you use? might's a good choice. holy freeze sorta cuts you short on corpses to summon/explode. =]

10. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

Harley already has every curse and revives are too expensive for maxing the poison synergies.

11. HaLoPhReAk

HaLoPhReAk IncGamers Member

IMO a fire golem should help...right???

12. richo

richo IncGamers Member

well 1 pt in revive will give enough revive with the +skills (And skillers are a option to~~)
    and a fire golem aint the best, for a meat shield a galy gollem is most suited a gumby can easy get over 10k life and it slows the enemy with XX%

13. Harleyquin

I do use crowd control curses, and the reason I'm still stuck in the crystalline passage is because I'm single player (baal runs hence impossible) and have to complete every quest in order (my way of playing). I do need a few more +skills in curses since mine last less than two seconds. I also have a golemlord's wand with +2 revive on switch which I do use when meeting up with nasty monsters where poison nova doesn't kill fast enough. I do have a might merc, but frenzytaur boss packs mince him within ten seconds.

I still haven't found an answer to my original question, exactly what combos of monsters can spawn in the crystalline passage, glacial trail and ancient's way?

14. NorrYtt

NorrYtt IncGamers Member

I know

I don't know what spawns there, but I do know that Frenzytaur bosses are about the worst pack to fight with that build (the other being Glooms). I feel that 3-5 Champions are worse than a boss pack because they are all immune to AI curses and Physical Damage. But if you can pick the pack apart, they will fall. MonoJerry cleared Act I Normal with a skillless, statless, naked punching Sorceress. All it takes is patience.

I'm guessing the goal here is to simply clear these areas to quest. You have to progress very slowly. Pre-Dim Vision the edge of the screen as you walk. You will have to spam it because it has a very short duration. If you find something, Dim the guys behind so that Dim will wear off on just a few mobs in front of the blind ones. Your minions will probably engage so you need to position them with Teleport (I use a Gnarled Staff of Teleportation from Normal Drognan on switch) or use your TP Tome. Teledance backward to safe zones using a Terror + Dim Vision combo to break the pack up as much as possible. The Frenzytaurs are Physical Immune so you won't kill them until you get them singled out and Amp'd, using PN to stop health regen. I know it won't work out that way but that's how I tackle the problem and it's slow but it does work eventually.

The worst is Champion Glooms, I think the ones in the WSK. They are immune to Lit and Poison, shred your team and your mana, can't be AI cursed, and they're even hard to see. You can't bust them up, you just have to Tele on top of them one at a time and quaff reds until your team dies or they do. The only trick is if there is some other normal mobs near them, you can use Confuse and Attract on the normal mobs and maybe the Glooms fight the normal mobs.

15. Harleyquin

Thanks for the suggestion, I guess slow and steady rules the day in the indoor areas of Act 5. I just hope I don't get killed too often using the strategy.

16. xeyloderixed

xeyloderixed IncGamers Member

maybe too late, but here goes

the fanataurs iirc only spawn in ancients way. they are, as someone pointed out, the worst possible monster to fight with a summoner or psn/summon. they have infinite hitpoints, and are immune to your skellies. best way, if your skellies arent that buff, is to cast decrep and whittle them down slowly with nova. if your skellies can handle it then lr+nova is slightly better.

as for the crystalline passage, ive seen all kinds of monsters, but the worst seem to be the wraith type thingies. not that they can actually kill you, but you cant kill them quickly with skellies. lr+nova works well against them though, or if you have trangs pieces 2-3 firewalls should do the trick.

17. Dancolen

Just did an ancients way with only abominables, frozen terrors, and bone mages.

So it is possible to not have to deal with the taurs.

18. Harleyquin

I lucked out on a respawn with vipers (YES! Revive candidates), bats and bone mages. Unfortunately the frozen river had gloams but I was lucky not to see a boss pack with extra strong or conviction so I managed to save Anya fairly easily with no real scares along the way. I can finally run pindleskin now so thanks to everyone who posted suggestions.

Must watch out for frenzytaurs in ancient's way, may need a respawn to explore the map...

19. Dancolen

Yea, my 78 summoner on realm just made it to anya/ancients day before or so.

Crystalline had Harpies or whatever they are and they hurt a good bit, but were managable.

Odd thing was saw no taurs from crystalline, through glacial, to Ancients.

Hes 80 now, with 4 points saved, deciding whether to put into mages or something else.. he really does ok for now, tho merc could use some more strength.

Im deciding when I wanna kill Baal with him and finish the game for him.
    I need to get to work on my Bone/Summon build whos at 29 atm, but some reason after making a lvl 80 necro over week - 2 weeks or maybe a month, I lose track of time, I just.. dont wanna grind through with the bone nec atm(20 RS, 5 SMast, 1 in gumby, gmast, sresist, amp, terror, weaken, getting or got decryp now, so going to start the bone tree now, deciding whether to max teeth or spirit as I cant max both, but will max spear, wall, and marrowwalk, and probably spirit)