Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Help On Hardcore

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Johney, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Johney

Johney IncGamers Member

Help On Hardcore

I've decieded to give hardcore d2 a try. I've mainly played softcore (cept for 1 char in classic, a cold sorc that died on andy) and i was wonder whats a good beginner build, keep in mind that i'm going untwinked b/c i have no hc items.

Thx and any suggestions would be great....

PS: I'm postings with because i found nothing on hc in the faqs

2. AlterEgo

AlterEgo IncGamers Member

Unwinked HC? I'd go with the skellimancer (fishymancer) or Hammerdin. They seem to be the least item dependent and have proven to be Hell-worthy.

But more important is the HC attitude. Be careful, retreat a lot, run when swarmed, regroup, no rushing!!

Good luck Johney!

3. nemar

nemar IncGamers Member

only one suggestion : don't play a warrior. if you stay away monsters you'll stay alive.

after alterego said all what is important.

and be careful with you're merc, it will you're best armor. if he's about to be killed, go back , don't try to fight with him. and if you're merc is killed, pay immediatly for his return.

be careful with /playerX , go down if fight is too hard

4. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

* Play a character you are comfortable with.

* Even if you have a melee character, have at least one ranged option or a tanking merc, to help you with those particularly nasty melee bosses (Fanaticism Extra Fast Sszark the Burning, anyone!?) you DON´T want to be near more than absolutely necessary.

* From late Normal and onwards, keep resistances to cold/fire/lightning at 75+.

* Only get as much Strength you need to use your equipment and invest as many points in Vitality as possible. Life is what keeps you alive. Don´t neglect it.

* This is my personal suggestion and may not work for everyone: Don´t invest in Energy at all unless your build is REALLY mana intensive. Use mana potions and + mana items instead.

5. phaedrus

phaedrus IncGamers Site Pal

I would second the skellimancer and also suggest looking at a trap assassin. jrichard has an excellent guide posted in the Strategy Compendium here. I've done both these characters untwinked HC and made it through uneventfully.

The advantage of both these character types for untwinked play is that they can shop for claws/wands that are roughly equal (or in the case of trap assassins, superior) to any of the uniques. This means you aren't scrambling to find that one item you really need to make your character viable.

Personally, I would avoid a physical-damage character (melee barb, paladin, zon) for my first character. These characters live or die (literally) on their ability to find high damage weapons, particularly in Hell. If those are the characters you are most comfortable with, go ahead and build one. Prior experience helps a lot in helping characters survive. Just be aware that you are going to be facing the challenge of getting them a weapon that can carry them through Hell.

Aside from that, just remember in HC resists > life > damage > MF.

Have a great time! HC is definitely the way to play this game.

Phaedrus

6. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

HC is doable, with every char, you only need 1 thing, patience

use the "1 step forwards, 2 steps back" method and you'll be fine

really, all the HC deaths are or by stupidness, or people who kill so fast the feel like a GOD pimping the earth and rush even faster, or by a FE bug, FE bug you cant help, the other 2 you can

patience, thats really the key to HC

7. i_marsolek

i_marsolek IncGamers Member

Welcome to the mortal realm. First and foremost with 1.10 be prepared to die, because you will. At least I haven't met a person who made guardian in 1.10 on his or her first try, (if there is someone like this please post so I can congratulate you).

I would go with the skellymancer as well. As far as not being any guides: I know of two lengthly threads on how to play 1.10 hardcore here on the forum. One started by myself and the other by Nightfish :worship: I don't know if they were destroyed in the last crash or not but there was a lot of info in them. Look up Hardcore in the forum search or something like that. Also check the HC forum, they should hve some good info as well

8. JohnnyBravo

JohnnyBravo IncGamers Member

I suggest a strong ranged build. Bowazon, Hunter or Ranger are all good ranged builds. Hunter being a Druid using a bow usually focussing on summoning skills. Ranger being a pally. I used Holy Freeze on a ranger in 1.09 and it worked really well.

I've played both all three to NM, but lost them to a HD crash.

9. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

Remeber Valliant from the SPHardcore Ladder? he was the first try i made in 1.10 with HC and on top off that, he was melee...

thnx for the cake

10. Johney

Johney IncGamers Member

I read all the guides for the suggested chars, and it seem that a fishymancer would be a wise choice... so off i go

wish me luck.... i'll need it.

11. i_marsolek

Must be the power of the Timberlake! Honestly, way to go that is a heck of an accomplishment :clap:

12. farting bob

farting bob Banned

i was 1/2 an act from a guardian before id ever patted a character in the SPHCL. at the time he was mid-act 5 hell and my highest SC character had jsut finished off act 4 hell.

13. nemar

nemar IncGamers Member

2 guardians other are killed , that's all. and I don't speak about different tourney.

It's not impossible, but for a start, it's not a judicious option. A necro with an army will be more a "save live"

14. zelfmoordis

zelfmoordis IncGamers Member

My fishymancers always have a bad fight against act-bosses, always.. I seem to die in those fights often enough as well..

I must be doing something wrong, uh? :)

:wave:

p.s: The trouble always starts at Andy normal, than duriel normal, and on, and on..

15. DX-Crawler

DX-Crawler Banned

Well Andy can be rather tough but there will be a lot of corpses around so use them and keep Amp her.
    Duriel can be a real pain unless you are using decrep if you doing that he will be no problem I usually loose one or two skellies to him. If you wan't to you can go back to town after a while and get the skellies health back up by taking a beer at Atmas place or visit Fara.
    And further on it's the same decrep the act bosses.
    Hope it helps.

Good luck Johney in HC play don't bother if you die it's just get back in it and try again, Fishymancer is a good choice though

DX

16. loverat

loverat IncGamers Member

Never ever play hardcore when:

drunk :drink:

tired :sleep:

angry :rant:

distracted by others in the room :scratch:

17. Johney

Johney IncGamers Member

Great advice........ cept i can't drink (inflammed sofagous-insert correct spelling here-)

Update - just put Hooligan threw act 1 and killed radament. Never knew fishys where so powerful..... it almost seems too easy, but i suppose that will change.

thx for all the help ppl.

18. Araknis

Araknis IncGamers Member

Hmmm... sounds like every day at my house

@Johney; I'm in the same boat, I'd never played HC so no gear. The Fishy was my choice and he's going pretty well so far. Up to clvl 30 and just started Act 3. So far I've played almost exclusively on Players 8 (switch down for bosses) and have had no problems at all.

19. DarkChaos

DarkChaos IncGamers Member

You just met me then :)

I made a skellimancer. I also have a Guardian LF/Freezing Zon and a few chars close to completing hell, but I don't have much time to play them/don't feel like it

20. i_marsolek

First try 1.10 Guardian...way to go! :thumbsup: