Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Help on Diablo? (Summons necro)

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by The Wikt, May 15, 2005.

1. The Wikt

The Wikt IncGamers Member

Help on Diablo? (Summons necro)

Hi..

I've been thinking about tackling Diablo. I am afraid, I must admit..

I am still in Normal Diff. I've got Level 31, and so far have done all quests in Act IV, 'cept for Terror's End (of course).

Skills:

Curses: Amplify Dmg (2), Iron Maiden (2) <- got 1 in each, plus a +1tocurses charm.
    Summons:
    Skeletons: 10
    S. Mastery: 9
    Clay Golem: 1 (unused)
    Skeleton Mages: 5
    Blood Golem: 1
    Iron Golem: 1
    Fire Golem: 1
    Revive: 2
    Poison/Bone:
    Teeth: 1 (prereq for CE)
    Corpse Explo: 1

So, what should I get or improve? I am considering +1 to Mastery, then investing in Summon Resist.

2. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

There was a similar thread a while ago...

http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=333093&highlight=diablo

I think you should definitely get 1 point in summon resists as soon as possible...that will help a lot versus Diablos fire attacks. Also I think you need to focus on either Skellies or mages, unless you go all out minion of course:)

3. Patsy

Patsy IncGamers Member

Dear Wikt,

I would strongly suggest getting that summon resist, otherwise, your army won't last very long against Big D. Even at with the skill point, more than likely you'll be having to go back for one resummoning.

But so far, so good. Once you're done with that, I'd then suggest the standard of maximizing skeleton summoning first before the rest into mastery.

Keep up the good work and oh, welcome to the Forum. Beer, corpeseses, the whole schtick. :drool:

-Patsy
    "Identification? You don't need to see our steenken identification!"

4. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Put a point in Summon Resist and then place points in RS like your life depends on it. It is more effective to place points in RS than putting points in Mastery. Generally Skelliemancers focus on pumping RS, followed by maxing Mastery. The coming battle may prove very difficult.

5. The Wikt

Thank you for the hints so far. I also think SR will be a great help.

I think I also have a +2 SR head which I could utilize. I wield it with my rare balanced knife.

6. slappy sam

slappy sam IncGamers Member

I'm not trying to be aggressive or anything, but I'm just curious how you can have a +1 to curses charm that is effective at level 31. Skillers all have a level requirement of 42 if I am not mistaken.

7. rubberband shooter

rubberband shooter IncGamers Member

You mean you didn't use your clay golem? If that's the case, there's one of you problem right there. Clay golem is important in fighting bosses because of their slow ability and can be recast easily. Use your clay golem as distraction when fighting diablo.

8. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

Hmm at your level +skills would be a godsent :p Switch out that rare knife and slap on either a 'Spirit' broad sword (ladder) or Gravenspine/Ume's Lament wand and depending on your str either a nice +1necro rare head or sigons tower sheild. Or @ lvl 30: +2 summoning necro head :p Tarnhelm/wormskull for helm/vipermagi for armor? Amazingly hotspur boots or nokozan relic ammy does wonders in trms of survivability when i took on Big D normal mode :D Ye clay+deceprify is a great combo not only for normal act bosses but later on in hell too! Also i find those Venomlords great revives to tank Big D - perhaps when u do open the seals open the ones with Infector of Souls and his Venomlords last and revive as many Venomlords u can :D Hope i helped.

p.s I take it you use a Prayer merc? Get him sigons helm+armor for 10%ll and a decent rare polearm if possible hehe

9. xeyloderixed

xeyloderixed IncGamers Member

i suggest getting summon resist and decrepify before killing big d. both of these skills will help you tremendously. from experience during my sp days, a lvl 24 nec (with decrep, summon res, and rest of skeleton skills) needs around 3-4 rebuilds to kill d, while a lvl 30 nec with the same skill layout except more on skeletons can do it in 1-2 rebuilds. at your lvl big d should be a breeze.

i wouldn't recommend any items because you might be untwinked/sp/against trading (which you didnt specify in your post).

10. The Wikt

Unfortunately, my Necromancer is an SP character. Thus, I can't easily get any of the items you have suggested. Well - I COULD get them - but that would be quite hard.

The charm I've got on Battle.net from free, from someone. I keep carrying it around. It has no requirements, which is pretty odd.

I must say I never noticed the Clay Golem being any good. But if you say it can slow the Big D down..

Well. I used the golem early on, but then got some other Golems and used them. So the Clay one got neglected.
    I'll try out the Clay Golem to distract Diablo, though. :]

11. rubberband shooter

Don't underestimate the clay golem. It is a good meat (mud) shield later on. Its hp in normal is low, but its hp will get boosted in later difficulty, easliy reaching 1000+ with a few +skills.

It also have the slow ability, and the low mana make it easily recastable in the middle of a fight. Just cast it in the middle of a pack of monster and watch them slow themselves attacking the clay golem. In case you don't know, the clay golem cast its slow when it attack an enemy (it don't actually have to hit, it just need to prefrom the attack), or when it get hit at melee range.

The damage of the clay golem may be low, but so are all the other golems, so its usefulness as a meat shield make it the best golem for the summoner.

There is a single player trading forum on this site here.

Back to diablo, what mercenary are you using?

12. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Cast Clay on the other side of Diablo as soon as he spawns. Then get your army to the side of Diablo where the Clay is not. Keep recasting Clay on the opposite side of Big D as long as your army still stands. Clay has a higher target priority than your, your Merc or your Skellies, so Big D will focus on him. If you couple this with constant recasts of Decrep Big D should become a lot more docile.

13. SharnMes

SharnMes IncGamers Member

"How to tame Diablo" :D

Down boy DOWN!!!

14. Hemmo

Hemmo IncGamers Member

I had lvl 26 summoner with no curses or p/b skills, only skellies and a golem. It was a bit hard fight because Diablo killed my skeletons pretty fast. I had to go for act1 for a more skeletons. Though I shopped earlier +2 Spear wand. With it and lots of mana pots I was the winner :D

15. The Wikt

:D

I've been using an Act 3 Fire Spellcaster so far, but after reading and thinking about the "act2 prayer/might merc" option, I found it quite a good idea. So I hired an Act 2 Praying mercenary. His level is only 13 though, which I must say makes me tend to feed him quite a few potions.

16. Harleyquin

Harleyquin IncGamers Member

Might be a good idea to level up the mercenary, every character I use has a mercenary at most one level below the player character level. It really helps on survival and resurrection costs

17. corax

corax IncGamers Member

shop for a +3 IM wand. then use it and a fire golem.

18. The Wikt

Well, okay.. So I've tackled Diablo now..

Result can be put in two words: total failure.
    Diablo's greeting as I opened the last seal and felt the earth quake, translated from Polish: "You've come this far just to die?"

Clay Golem + Decrepify? He killed the Golem and all of my minions far too fast, anyway. Decrep helped, but only a bit.
    Amp. Damage + Fire Golem? No go, either.
    I didn't try IM and FG, though.

I had to resummon about 5 times, but the Great D kept obliterating them, as if they were mere flies.

The odd thing is that *I* didn't die. I was close, since he used the Fire Nova and reached me with this one.. And, he DID fire his infamous Lightning Bolt of Death at me, but I somehow managed to 'port out RIGHT when the bolt was passing by, and the hit did not register.

I went at Lv33, with +1 in Golem Mastery (prereq to SR), +1 in Summon Res, and a +1 to Decrep wand.

I'll get you next time..

19. slappy sam

slappy sam IncGamers Member

That charm... you got from open battlenet I am guessing (skillers are level 42 requirement and anni is 70something) so I'm guessing that charm is hacked.

20. rubberband shooter

Don't even gave diablo the chance to release his fire and lighting attack. Cast clay golem in his general direction before you even see him. Cast you clay golem beside diablo to force him to use his melee attack, which is a lot less deadly. Remember to keep recasting decrepify and you clay golem if it dies.