Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Help on assasin

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Oscar, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Oscar

Oscar IncGamers Member

Help on assasin

I want to start an assasin but I am unsure in the direction to go. I have read all the builds on assasins and I am still unsure. I have used blade fury before and realy like this skill and want to use it in my build, if only as a back up to take out dangerous monsters. I don't know if to go with traps or MA. Also C/C or C/S any help would be greatly appreciated.
    This will be SC and although I don't mind twinking my characters I do not have that many good items, though i do have a Bartucs.
    Thanks
    Andy

2. Fafner

Fafner IncGamers Member

Sounds like you should go for the trapper. Although how much +skills gear can you muster, because with one bartucs you could go MA- ala TS/Dtail.

Don't be discouraged by people that say MA is hard. You'll get the hang of it by the time it matters (as long as you experiment and don't just rely on one skill all the way through Normal/Nightmare).

I would suggest you play a trapper first to get a handle on the assassin only skills, like WB, MB, CoS, Fade, BoS etc. BF/traps is viable as long as you have a CB/OW/Static Field set-up on switch. Trappers like +skills, BF needs mods (venom is a personal thing here, some say yes some say no. Check the guide). The nice thing about BF is that it's not point dependent at all so you can synergize traps well.

If you want to be different you could try a Fire Trapper/BF and put 20 pts in FB, WoF, WoI and DS. With your bartucs that would give you around 800 avg. damage of FB which is spammable while other traps go, your WoI would be around 1600, while your WoF 325 (pitiful). These numbers are a little low but consider that most L-trappers have about the same average without +skills (although they have better chance to hit monsters, WoI sucks on moving targets). This might compliment BF as well, since FI would get their butts kicked by Static field if you had CM runeword, and your traps could handle the LI.

Anyway, depends on how brave you are. Personally I'd stick with the Lightning trapper for my first. I went hybrid and added D-talon at the cost of using FB to take care of LI. I needed a lot of CB as well which I got from Goblin toe, black runeword devil star (need an Io) (str claw works too, it's cheap. Amn Tir). I kept my SM near base, while I screwed around with putting pts in WoI and Venom (wasted) so there are a lot points to spend on what you like (build is finished at 81 skill points or level 70).

Good luck

3. Oscar

Oscar IncGamers Member

Thanks on the info I think I will try the lightnig trapper. Why is it that the assasin seems the most complicated of characters yet she is the is the one that apeals to me most.
    Andy

4. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

Be sure to check Jrichard's site and lightning trapper guide...seems his site is down atm though.

5. Fafner

Fafner IncGamers Member

I used to build model gliders, not RC cars like my friends. I love the challenge. I fell hard for the assassin in 1.10, my first Mat (or Pat for that matter) cause she can handle crowds like a Sorc and single opponents like a Baba, had medium life and cool looking weapons, and the best class-specific exceptional in the game...stops to think, maybe Titan's revenge is better, maybe...

edit: Occulus...dang it. Well I only ever found one of these...and I have like 4 bartucs.

6. sephiruss

sephiruss IncGamers Member

I guess the only other advice I could give to supplement their advice would be this: learn how to spell assassin correctly. Yeah, that's about.

(I'm joking around here, laugh)

7. HBeachBabe

HBeachBabe IncGamers Member

my experience has been that MA assassins require the most amount of skill-switching. Getting the rhythm of charge-ups and finishing moves can take some practice as well. But once mastered, they are incredibly fun.

I can pass along some claws if you want, once I get home (I'm at the production office right now, at 2 AM printing out call sheets for tomorrow's shoot which begins at 6AM. I'm gonna sleep here for maybe 1-2 hours tonight. ugh)

8. zelfmoordis

zelfmoordis IncGamers Member

[forced laugh mode] Ha Ha [/forced laugh mode]

At the moment I'm building my first SP assassin ever too! I went a completely different route though, my assassin is a pure kicker!

But I'm encountering about the smae problems as you have, I have no idea on where to put my skills! I'm level 36 now and I have the following skills:
    20 Dragon Talon (the multi kick skill..)
    1 Dragon flight (1 in pre's)
    1 Cloak of Shadows (1 in pre's)
    5 Burst of speed
    3 Weapon block (which I am planning on boosting to 10 or 11)

In about 6 levels I will have my weapon block where I want it and I have no idea where to go from there! Is maxing venom a good idea? Should I max another kick? Maybe a charge up skill?

:wave:

9. Zarhrezz

Always nice is Flame Bomb 18 and 1+ Death Sentry (Flame Bomb for the extra blasts from Death Sentry and Flame Bomb is pretty decent fire damage on it's own). Venom works with Talon too. I'd advise against maxing another kick, you'll find yourself using only one of them anyhow. My mat Angel has 20 Talon/20 Fade/20 Phoenix/~15 Shadow Master/10 Weapon Block...Phoenix being the 'filler'. If you're not using Fade, you should also be able to max Flame Bomb, a lightning trap and put a few points into Death Sentry...there will be nice synergies there and you'll have fire and lightning damage at your disposal along with corpse explosion...a very nice setup.

10. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

Most kicker go with dragon tail, it is more powerful, a lot better. WB normally will top at lvl 7, and let +skills do the rest. more in WB doesn't give good return.

If you have charge up skill, wouldn't it defeat "pure kicker" idea? anyway, if you do, you may consider TS, but you need a way to handle PIs.

11. Zarhrezz

Well, he's using Talon, so Tiger Strike is a waste for him (damage over time with only Talon is better than TS charging and then Talon).

And Dragon Tail is by no means a lot better than Talon. They are totally different skills with different uses. Dragon Talon with a good gear setup devastates single targets, where Dragon Tail is better at taking out groups. Which leads to the conclusion that a Talon build should get some 'area attack' as supplement (lightning traps for example) where a Tail build benefits more from a good single-target killer (boosted Venom, Blade Fury switch).
    Also Dragon Tail has the inherit weakness of being useless against PIs and weak against anything with high physical resistance. Talon has an easier time dealing with that (using elemental damage, at 5-6 kicks at max speed the elemental damage is dealt 5-6 times within a second).

12. zelfmoordis

I'm quite stashed with elemental charms so PI shouldn't be an awful lot of a problem, also because I use an high elemental damage claw to supplement my kicks..

So you are suggesting I should max fire blast and put 1 point into death sentry? Or should I max death Sentry? At the moment I don't use Fade, but I could max that one.. But it would leave me less options, and I don;t think my resistances will be a problem even without Fade!

Another question.. Should I max shadow Master?

:wave:

13. Zarhrezz

I'd go with 1 DS, 18 FB since the DS is there for the CE, not the lightning damage...therefor DS should be placed somewhere behind you...it'll do CEs, but won't shoot lightning (which wastes shots). FB gives it more shots...you can always balance it somewhat of course, few less shots, better CE radius..up to you.
    Fade vs BoS is a much debated choice...some swear by Fade (myself included), other won't go without BoS...that choice is entirely up to you.
    Aim to cast Shadow Master at slvl 17 (or higher)...at that point she gets her best equipment. More points make her an even better tank of course, but the points might be spend better elsewhere.

14. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

Death Sentry - one point only. Lightning Sentry is the trap to max for trapper build.
    Shadow Master - Max if you can, it is great tank and killing machine, trust me on this, you will never waste point here, no matter which build you have.

Try to get resistance from items as much as you can, you will need all you can get, target 75 in hell.

15. zelfmoordis

Ok thanks, you guys have been a great help :)

I was just wondering one last thing; Is Phoenix Strike worth the trouble?

16. Zarhrezz

Damagewise only if you max synergies (or at least the synergy for your charge of choice). I used PS 20 for the area Freeze though, didn't use it for the damage (freeze time increases with slvl).

17. jrichard

jrichard IncGamers Member

it should be up now. If not, the trapsin guide is in the strat compendium and the kicking and c/c attack speed documents are stickied in the assassin forum.

jrichard