Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

help! new barb first time on sphc

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by TheRebel22, Aug 24, 2010.

1. TheRebel22

TheRebel22 Diabloii.Net Member

help! new barb first time on sphc

Well I just started a barb on lod, single-player hc. I really have no idea what I'm doing. I guess my intention is to build a lancer/spear barb that uses WW like the old classic barbs used to do. I really don't know how to build that anymore though, it's just something I wanted to have fun with. So far I'm lvl 17 and I lucked out with a nice spear(LOL) 5% chance to cast amp, 47%ed, 4-22dmg, so I do about 45 dmg max right now. My merc is a1 fire merc and she basically kills everything while I tank it out. She has a Vicious Hunters Bow of Maiming (sounds awesome doesn't it??) that does a whopping 2-11dmg, bringing her max dmg to 30 - although idk what dmg she does with the fire arrow, but it's a lot more than I do.

Anyways, I'm in a1 tamoe highlands about to go in Outer Cloister. I killed the Countess this morning. At the beginning I wasn't sure what I wanted to do, but I had the lancer idea in my head then I found the spear so I went with that. I thought maybe putting points in bash at the beginning would help, so I put like 3, but that doesn't help much besides with singling out uniques or busting your way out of a crowd when you get surrounded (which happens all the time when its on /p8).

Man I've never had act one be so intense. I'll have like 15-20 minute battles with a group of monsters chasing them around, especially those damn archers, the demon women ones. Those do soo much damage and are hard to kill.

So, any advice on how to go about playing, getting gear, leveling, anything would be great. Also, this is kind of my introduction to SPF community here, never played sp before and never realized there was a 'community' for 'single'-player lol.

*EDIT*
    Also, anyone know a good guide to the build I'm trying? Or should I just abandon it? lol I didn't see any guides on here which kind of scared me because there is a guide for almost every character out there (melee necromancers but not the build I'm trying?? scary).

2. HappeningKT

HappeningKT Banned

Re: help! new barb first time on sphc

If u are planning to go untwinked, then I think u shud start as a double swinger or frenzier and then respec to spear ww barb. I am currently having a similar project in my mind as I found an eth hone sundane. Hone sundane(upped ) would be the best cheap weapon in case of uniques.Kelpie's Snare can be good too. Both of them can be obtained from NM meph and frenzier can run meph much smoothly than a ww barb.

If u are particular about playing as a WW barb throughout the game(or if u are on any of the non 1.13 versions), things may get a bit frustrating(especially due to mana cost ). I don't think there is any exclusive spear WW barb guide, but that is because there isn't much difference in stuff other than the weapon choice and the skill points in mastery.

About gameplay, dont play with spears in the beggining. Spears are slow and that too with normal attack u are bound to face troubles.Shop a couple of axes with sockets and put chipped topazes for some nice lit damage.Bash is not a very useful skill, but fortunately it synergises double swing. So try putting points in double swing for now(if 1.13)
    For gear run nm meph until u find your basic items.A couple of hundred of runs should give decent gear.
    btw, this and this are nice guides for HC untwinked gameplay.
    Hope this helps :)

3. TheRebel22

Cool, thanks HappeningKT. Yeah, I figured my spear days would end once I left a1, lol. I wanted to go 'pure' and use a spear the whole time, but we'll see how a2 goes. If I'm having a lot of trouble I'll switch it up.

A sweet notice though: I found my first unique!! Lenymo Sash baby!! LOL I'm actually stoked about it bc I desperately need the mana/regen. I'm gonna need some life leech and mana leech very soon. I can't believe I'm lvl 20 just getting to catacombs lvl 1. I'm actually getting decent drops playing on /p8. Lots of magic items and some good rares. I got a sweet ammy with mf/life/mana/resists/AR I think.. maybe not AR but some other mod along with those.

4. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack Diabloii.Net Member

I don't play HC, but I have some ideas that might help:

1. Look in the Mat/Pat/Guardian thread (sticked in this forum). I'd bet that there is at least one WW Spear barb there.
    2. If you're playing 1.13, then you can take advantage of the respec option to play an "easier" build in the early game and then become a WW barb later. I find this a bit cheesy, though, and I don't really see much reason not to use spears all the way through. Not all spears are slow.
    3. Make use of the Warcries. Howl is great for getting mobs off your back. Make use of Taunt, Battle Cry, and War Cry. Try all of them, and then respec to only spend points in those you want to use a lot. Though, 1 point should usually be enough for Howl and Taunt.
    4. Use Leap and/or Leap Attack to keep from getting surrounded to much. You have to put points into it anyway to get WW.

5. TheRebel22

wow. I can't believe that happened... This is wayy crazier than anything I've ever experienced on bnet in over like 9 years of playing. I read the first part of the MFing guide and did what it said, I rolled 13% gloves I think and 12% boots, then 15% boots of chance (perf, 2fg final offer lmk) and I only got 2 chipped topaz for the 3 socketed armor before the big showdown. So my strategy was to go in and kill all the monsters first, especially the shamans without pulling andy towards me and taking her on solo. Did not work at all, lol. There were only a couple 'dark ones' up front and like 2 shaman in the back which I had to chase around, all of a sudden I went from 270hp to like 75 because of the poison, my merc is dying, and I've killed exactly 1 monster! So I run around, freaking out, and all of a sudden 4 of those big gargoyle things that shoot lightning run from the back of the room toward me. This is mayhem. Somehow I get andy to stay in the back, keep my merc alive, and dispatch of most of the monsters and the other shaman. Time for Andy.

I yell shout and charge toward her, spear out in front. My merc's weapon and mine both had a 5% chance to cast amp so I figured with concentrate I'd take her down pretty quick considering the damage we both do. NOT. She shoots her poison nova like 2 times to start off and I'd already used my antidotes in the first bit. I pour 3-4 pots in my merc, but she keeps on casting that nova each time to cancel them out. The merc falls. All my pots are in inventory now so I've got to click them manually. Everytime I pot she somehow knows it and casts the nova again. I get DANGEROUSLY close to dying and 3 health pot it but I'm still losing life so I juv ... I'm out of pots, she's at a little over 1/4 life and I'm not running anytime soon. This is a fight to the death. I get a lucky cast of amp and somehow I hit like 3 shots in a row that stun her with concentrate and it takes 3 more blow-for-blow exchanges before the Demon Queen falls at last.

I landed a massive loot. I got like 5 rares or something ridiculous, and Gorefoot's fell - my 2nd unique. Nothing overly worthwhile in the rares, but that and I think 3 gems fell in the battle.. 2 chipped emeralds and a chipped diamond, landing me about 10k+.

I live to journey to the desert.

6. TheRebel22

What merc you guys think I should use? I'm considering keeping my a1 fire-arrow merc unless I see some reason to get an a2 one. I kind of like her, I'll see how she does in a2.

7. LiquidClear

LiquidClear Diabloii.Net Member

A2 mercs are going to be more effective; you can load them up with a savage polearm (put a Kris, a Staff, a diamond, and a belt in the cube to get a Savage polearm) and they'll do significantly more damage than you can get from a bow mercenary. Plus, they provide you with an aura (defensive for defiance would probably be your best choice) and can help you tank massive mobs. Although if you're attached to your A1 merc, you can keep her for style points :)

8. TheRebel22

You win! hahaha as soon as I get a diamond I'm gonna make that and get an a2 merc. For now my girl is running things as usual. I decided to switch things up myself and I'm using a Giant Sword of Slaying with a Bone Shield of Deflecting to help deal with the mobs in a2. I always hated running around in the desert the most out of any place in the game. Leveling has gone slowww, I only just turned 23 and I'm in far oasis.

I got new boots, 25%mf, and I rolled a sickk crown. +1 Poison and Bone Skills (would be amazing at this level of untwinked play IF I was a necro), 47%edef., 24% MF DR by 2, and charges of telekinesis (useless but neat). It was the 3rd crown I rolled.

I'm having a terrible time getting topaz's in this game. I only got 4 in a1 and I sold two before I read that mf guide, and I haven't found any flawed or chipped at all in a2. I really haven't found much at all of anything in a2 besides store bought stuff. Hopefully that'll change with time.

So, if I'm going to wait and use my lance later on once I get WW and I'm focusing on Frenzy (I guess?) once I get to that point, how do I place my points? Right now I've got 1 in everything you can have pretty much - 3 in bash, 2 in spear mastery, and 4 in shout, I went ahead and put 1 in sword mastery cuz I'm using one right now.. lol.. my skill tree is soo f***ed. Am I going to be putting all my points in Frenzy and Shout? I forgot about double swing, but I kind of want to use my shield until I get frenzy.. is that a good idea? Should I try to put any in whatever weapon's mastery I decide to use? If I get axes start putting in that every other point, or it'd probably be better to stick with either axes or swords until I get higher up.. thing is it's so hard to stick with one thing because you don't know what's going to drop that could beat out whatever you're using at the time..

9. TheRebel22

Ok sweet got frenzy but I have two questions.

1. How do you properly use Frenzy? Right now I've got Frenzy on right click and double-swing on left click and I right click once or twice and then start attacking using double swing and I go super fast hitting everything (I made Steel Runeword out of a flail and I'm using that sword I mentioned earlier in the other hand). Is that right? If not, what do I do?

2. Is there anyway to trade amongst the single player forum? Like go in the open-realm? I ask because I'm going to die soon if I don't get life leech immediately and I can't find anything that has it.. I'm dying (literally) for a cathan's seal ring. If anyone wants to set up a trade or something (if that's even possible) I'm definitely trying to do that.

10. HappeningKT

HappeningKT Banned

1) I use frenzy alone without Double Swing as frenzy gives a lot more damage than double swing.
    2) This is the link for SPTF, make sure u read the rules before putting forth a trade request.

11. Grisu

Grisu Diabloii.Net Member

Note, that you don't need an actual "Diamond" for the Savage polearm - a chipped diamond works just as fine.

Since you're playing HC, trading might be a bit difficult, because most of the HC players here are self-found. Of course, there's Thomh, but I wonder if he still plays and trades in HC?

If you can't find anyone for a trade, I can help you out though. I have around 200 of those Cathan's Seals collecting dust in my stashes...(see here)

Welcome to the SPF, btw! :wave:

12. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack Diabloii.Net Member

Craft a blood ring.

13. TheRebel22

Ok, just to clarify, when I was talking about my boots of chance up there with the 15%mf and I said (perf, 2fg final offer lmk) I was making a joke. Hopefully it was funny, if not and you took it seriously then I failed lol. I know this forum doesn't use forum gold and I know that boots of chance aren't worth anything (which is why I thought it'd be funny), so I was NOT trying to be serious.

thanks and sorry.

Also, thanks to everyone for the good advice on here! I'm learning a lot. I never got into crafting on bnet, I always just traded for whatever I wanted, so hearing this is informative.

14. tavaritz

tavaritz Banned

You're selling gems? Why? All gems are usefull. Ok, maybe not, but all chipped gems are usefull.

Don't sell them; mule them off. I suppose you have either ATMA or GoMule installed.

15. TheRebel22

Nah, I didn't have ATMA until now, I just turned it on as I realized my error and starting stashing everything, but I'm slap full now. I just beat Duriel, battle took a little while, but fairly anti-climactic compared to the battle with Andy. Things have slowed down a lot. I got the a2 defiance merc, and I made a savage halberd. I messed up and used a 'Battle Staff' and it gave me savage scythe lol which my merc couldn't use. He absolutely owns but isn't as cool as my a1 merc :(

Are a3 mercs useful at all? What about the cold ones?

16. baqarah

baqarah Diabloii.Net Member

AFAIK base item generated by the kris-staff-belt-diamond formula is random, so it doesnt matter what staff you use. However I started 1.07 recently and I think the formula gives different results (110% ed bardiche, lvl req 6 anyone?).

I haven't played untwinked for a while and when I played 1.07 I didnt know much about the game. So could anyone tell me some useful formulas?

I always used a2 mercs, just because they tank so much better than a3. I do think that its important to have a companion, who draws attention of the half of the crowd. The aura is cool too.
    However I can see uses for a3 cold merc. Crowd control is always good. See which fits your playstyle more, you can always re-hire the previous merc.

17. TheRebel22

I just wanted to point out that I'm not a troll. I know nobody said or insinuated anything like that, but someone pointed out to me that the SPF is a little more serious than other forums and wary of newcomers. That's understandable. I'm going to be posting in this thread for a while (hopefully) as log of my progress in single-player with this barb. For one, so I can get advice. two, because SP is lonely : ( lol and when I play games I like to talk to other people playing the game while I'm doing it, which obviously wouldn't be possible for me without this or another forum - but I prefer this forum over others' on the net.

I've been getting pretty lucky tonight. I'm not sure if I crafted this ring or found it, but I didn't realize I had it until I checked all my stuff randomly: 4% life leech. Desperately needed. Next I crafted an ammy that was awesome: +1 Elemental Skills (druid only) and +life (based on lvl). Obviously I can't use it, but it'll help with chars in the future thanks to ATMA. Rare ammy popped up that was amazing: 3% mana leech, 7% damage taken goes to mana, 16%mf, +resists, etc. Then, I found Shadowfang the two-handed unique sword which had 9% life leech and 9% mana leech. The damage is a bit low, but that leech is huge for me right now. So right now I'm doing 13% life leech and 12% mana leech with around 140dmg. I can use concentrate forever and not run out of mana which is nice because of the defensive bonus.

I finally got my merc equipped with 2 flaw topaz helm and 3flawtopaz armor. So I'm at around 150mf now, and it's easy to let him kill everything because he does so much more damage than I do.

18. TheRebel22

Alright, I've bloody foothill-runned myself up to lvl 39 now. I got to a5 at lvl 34 and I knew that was way too early for me to try to advance very far. I'm going to get to 40 before I take out the frigid highlands besides eldritch.

I have a question: Can Larzuk sell a 3os helm or armor? I've got 2 flawless topaz and 2 regular topaz and 2 flawed topaz. I REALLY need to get a helm preferably with 3os and I read in one of the guides posted above that he can sell that once I get to lvl 39. Well, I've checked probably 50+ times now and I haven't even seen a 3os armor, and I've only seen a 2os great helm twice in that 50+ times. Anyone know anything about this?

I'm still rockin' the shadowfang sword, which is working out alright I guess. I almost feel like I'm cheating because what I do now is WW constantly through and around all the monsters, which bc of the sword, BLINDS them!! HAHA! So my merc can take them out 1 at a time while I just keep everyone blind. This is going pretty slow... I only do 100 dmg since I sold the dmg charms I had to make room for life charms in my inventory, and I'm at lvl 9 ww.I feel like I'M the mercenary and my merc is the main character or something, lol. I can make insight now, I just gotta figure out how to work this RWM thing.. I DL'ed it but I can't make sense of how to install it.. I read the sticky, but I didn't understand it. I'm like computer illiterate : ( (and I need to find a 4os polearm/staff)..

I found an umbral disc shield that I'm using, has good block and +10 dex, +20hp. I also just found a Nagelring although it was only 15%mf : (

Man, I thought I was never going to get past Diablo. He ALMOST killed me several times. I'm really lucky that I found that unique tower shield.. I forget the name, but it has +75 fire resist, and I used it fighting him. I just tanked him while my merc killed him slowly. I had to revive my merc 6 times and each time refill my belt with potions. I got down to my last attempt because I was out of gold for pots/reviving my merc, so I just said I'm either going to die or you are, and fortunately he went down. Before that I got OWNED by the uhh.. firebreathing guys that come out of the seal on the right side of the chaos sanctuary.. I forget the bosses name, but they were extra fast and chased me almost all the way back to the river. I had to get them in one of those side hallways going up to the main chamber of the sanc, you know? so my merc could take them on one at a time after we TP'ed and I res'd him and healed.

I'm not feeling confident about a5... IDK how I'm going to kill ancients. I do so little damage and I won't be able to blind them. Hopefully I find something decent or get lucky, or something, idk. We'll see.

**EDIT**

OH-HO SNAP!! Hahaha wow I'm desperate.. I think I may be the first person ever playing d2 to upgrade my Shadowfang Two-Handed Sword into an Espandon!! Now I'm doing 200 dmg baby, 1handed, 270dmg 2handed!! yeah! lol now at least I take away maybe a 1/5th of a monsters hp at a time on a good whirl instead of a 1/10th of it. I'll have to find another sol to make insight, but I needed this damage desperately, and I wanted to keep blind and the leech on it.

****EDIT#2****

Upgrading that Shadowfang was the best thing I've done so far. I was seriously getting sick of this char and he'd been sitting in the 30's for like 2-3 days now. He was doing no damage at all on p8 in a5 normal, and I didn't want to be a complete ***** and lower that while I was still in normal for christs sake! Now at least I do some damage with my whirls while I'm blinding everyone (and btw, I'm such a n00b/idiot the blind comes from umbral disk, not the sword, hahaha), and I even kill some things once in a while. I finally got a 3 socket helm from Larzuk, I think I had to be lvl 40 or maybe I was just unlucky b4 @39. Now I have 250%MF with the gear on my merc. If I could start finding some regular topazes I'd be ballin' quick. I'm having the worst luck so far with topaz and this char. I found Sander's Ripraff or riprap or whatever they're called, but I'm not using them - trying to keep my MF gear on at all times. I feel good about getting thru a5 now, and we'll see what NM brings. I'll prolly start NM in a day or two. I start school on Wed. but I've got a light schedule.

Do not bypass the word filter. Thyiad

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2010
  19. tavaritz

tavaritz Banned

Yes, he can sell them, but 50 tries are way too low. Just enter some Wp and come back, check Larzuk, rinse and repeat. Sooner or later he'll offer you that 3os Great Helm. Now I'm never satisfied with a plain jewellers; I go for a suffix also.

With BO going you shouldn't need any life charms, so keep those AR and damage charms.

20. TheRebel22

Do you guys think using the IK set would be a good idea for a spear-barb? I'd possibly be using everything except the maul - altho I'm not sure what i'll be using yet. I've never played too many barbs, so I'm not familiar with what gear would be a better idea than the IK set.