Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Help needed with Magic Finding

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Mantis, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Mantis

Mantis IncGamers Member

Help needed with Magic Finding

Finally I'm able to get back to playing again. However, I think I may be doing something wrong or using the wrong approach. I'm still partially untwinked on my Sorceress, but she is my highest level toon and the best geared. This is the real Mantis by the way... for those that remember the TV show M.A.N.T.I.S.

So I've been farming Hell Meph and Countess, and struggling with Baal. I typically start the games, switch to /Players 8 setting and then:
    1 - Buff, teleport-skip mobs, kill Countess and loot
    2 - repair/clean-up, buff
    3 - teleport-skip to last level of Durance, kill Council and friends, then moat trick kill Meph
    4 - loot, repair/clean-up, set to /Players 2,3,4 or 5 depending on how much play time I have
    5 - slowly kill Baal's waves and chug potions
    6 - Hit up Baal, chug potions and feed rejuvs to the Merc.

Just before the boss kills I swap the belt and switch weapon for higher MF. Dealing with Council and friends is slow. Baal's Throne Room is another slow kill area. Baal's minion waves chew up the Merc so I have to clear an area outside of the room that spawns the waves so there is a safe place to retreat and pop open a portal. In trying to boost my Sorceress' damage I crafted and Infinity Cryptic Axe. However, I'm not seeing a major jump in kill speed after using static field on mobs/bosses. Also, Baal seems to become more resistant as he gets closer to death. The last sliver of his health takes longer than the rest. Several Fire balls and Meteors seem to do no damage to him.

Upgrading to patch 1.13 has been crappy at best. Although, I've come across a few more runes, but less gems which seems a bit odd. I haven't looked into how to redo my level 67 hammerdin (still in NM mode) to deal with magic immunes. I've placed the data for my Sorceress and Merc below. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PackinHeat
    Level: 89 (Matriarch)
    Build: Meterorb (20-FO, 8-CM, 20-FBall, 20-Meteor, 19-FM, 1-Teleport/Static/Telekinesis, 1-Reqs)
    Head: Delirium Death Mask (hate this helm... stupid bone fetish >.<)
    Amulet: 10% FCR/+20 All Resist Prismatic Amulet
    Weapon: Heart of the Oak
    Shield: Spirit Monarch
    Switch Weapon: Call to Arms Dimension Blade (swap to 5x Ist Dimension Blade)
    Switch Shield: 2x Ist Kite Shield
    Armor: Chains of Honor (redone with Archon Plate)
    Belt: Tal Rasha's Belt (swap to 30% MF Goldwrap belt)
    Hands: MageFist
    Boots: War Traveler
    Rings: SoJ x 2

STR: 180
    Dex: 160
    Vita: 232
    Energy: 50
    Unused Stats: 5
    Resists: 75 all elements
    Def: 1485
    Life: 872 (1411 buffed)
    Mana: 722 (1046 buffed)
    Fireball: 5391-5914 (5762-6309 buffed)
    Meteor Impact: 12859-13431 (13714-14311 buffed)
    Meteor Burn: 1466-1545/sec (1545-1626/sec buffed)

Merc: Azrael
    Type: NM mode Defensive
    Level: 89
    Weapon: Infinity Cryptic Axe
    Head: Undead Crown
    Armor: Chains of Honor Hellforge Plate
    Resists: 75 all elements
    Life: 1927 (3352 buffed)
    STR: 213
    Dex: 156
    Def: 2396
    Damage: 622-2200

2. Corale

Corale IncGamers Member

Re: Help needed with Magic Finding

One tip is that using a high player setting when running Countess will actually decrease the average number of runes she drops. She should always be run at p1. The thing is she has two drop pools. One normal and one for runes only. The total items she can drop is always at the most 6. Increasing the player setting makes more stuff drop in pool 1 and reduces the space for pool 2 which is the runes only drop.

High player settings also signifcantly increase kill time for Meph for example without increasing the loot much, and not at all beyond p5 if I remember correctly. Personally I run at p1 and squeeze in more runs instead of more items per kill.

3. Zaliqai

Zaliqai IncGamers Member

1. Switch to 3x Tal's (armor, amulet and belt). Just about any MF sorceress will throw those 3 pieces on. Using 3x Tal's pieces give +65 MF bonus (and 2 of the items already have some nice MF). This will also give you an extra 20FCR which you need to get to the 105 FCR breakpoint most sorceress will aim for. And socket the Tal's armor with a ptopaz for some extra MF. This will also save you some time by not having to swap out MF items every run (the Goldwrap anyway).

2. Use a Harly as a helmet and socket it with a ptopaz.

3. Lower the /p settings to /p1 for at least Countess and Meph. They should speed up your runs and get you more items in the long run.

4. Respec your character. You have too much strength and way too much dex. You are using a Spirit shield which is never going to get you good blocking. Go pure vitality.

5. Make sure you have a small charm of balance in your inventory. It will get you to the next FHR breakpoint.

4. Mantis

Mantis IncGamers Member

Thanks for the quick replies...

Corale: So /players 1 for Countess/Meph. Should I do the same for Baal + minion waves? Is there a point where gear will make /players 8 almost as easy as /players 1?

Zaliqai: So far Baal and Meph have been real cheap with drops. I don't have a Shako or other top gear to switch to yet. I recently got a 2nd Tal Rasha belt and Tal Rasha's orb. However, I believe my current gear with HotO is better than my current gear with HotO switched to Tal's Orb.

5. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod IncGamers Member

You don't have an ali baba's yet?

6. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

Is this the same character the hacker posted a few weeks back? :unimpressed:

Loving the 5 Ist Dimensional Blade, if you have so much rune wealth why not use a 6s CS? Your gear is very strange, and your wealth doesn't seem to reflect your experience or knowledge.

7. wakiki

wakiki IncGamers Member

What parts of the Tal Rasha's set do you have and what parts do you lack?

Also, you know that Crystal Swords can have 6 sockets, right? And if you have strength for a Spirit Monarch, you could also be using another 4 socket Monarch with another four Ists. 6 Ist crystal sword + 4 Ist Monarch = lots of MF.

Also, replace that Undead Crown that your merc is wearing. Whenever you find your first Vamp Gaze, Stealskull, or Tal's Mask, use one of those. CoH and Infinity are good choices for the weapon/armor, I guess.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  8. Mantis

Mantis IncGamers Member

In the name of Zod: not yet.

Milb: Yes was hacked. My sister offered to lend me some runes so I took her offer, but I only had a 5s CS.

wakiki: I have the Orb and belt so far. I didn't have the items for the combo you described so I used what I had.

9. xxnothing

xxnothing IncGamers Member

Definitely drop down to /p3 or thereabouts for Mephisto. Should increase your speed by quite a bunch while still having a good drop rate. I'd focus on Meph and LK runs until you accumulate a better item base.

10. Ohomemgrande

Ohomemgrande IncGamers Member

We appreciate your honesty. I would suggest that if you'd like to participate in the SPF community via trades and/or multi-player that you contact Thyiad about any restarts or other ramifications using hacked items has in this community.

That being said, P1 is almost always the best for any MF character due to the speed factor. You can put together a decent Hell Meph runner from scratch in a day or two and build your wealth that way. It's almost not worth it to even stop at NM Meph. Check out some of the Untwinked MF tourneys to get some ideas.

11. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

From the master himself.

[Second set of emphasis (bold) mine.]

For me, /p1 - all the time unless you're running Throne + Baal for experience i.e. the MF is secondary.

+1

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  12. Mantis

Mantis IncGamers Member

Thanks for the advice guys. It seems a bit strange but just switching to running with only /P-1 I've come across way more set items and uniques. Granted many are normal uniques, but its a set up from blue, white, and yellow labeled drops on /P-8.

13. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

You'll find that upping your kill speed makes everything seem faster. I'd really advise you to restart at somepoint though, because investing too much time with tainted gear is only going to make the restart more difficult for you. You'll find that MFing is much more satisfying when you can brag about your drops on the IFT without people pointing out you're hacked.

14. Mantis

Mantis IncGamers Member

I had not considered starting over, considering I still have several unfinished (not yet mat/pat) toons. Starting over would be another delay. I was hoping to collect some gear for my other toons by using my current Meteorb'er. However, I can understand and respect the SPF community's lean on cleanliness and purity of toons.

So if I'm to take the challenge and restart, do you have any recommendations and are there any rules I should observe outside of the current SPF rules? I clear every area, of every act, at least once as I level my toons. However, I suspect that it might be advantageous to farm specific areas/monsters/bosses, based on char level, and move on to gain levels faster. Should I start with a Meteorb Sorc again assuming patch 1.13c, or go with a different build/char class/leveling strategy (considering untwinked kill/leveling speed to reaching mat/pat and level 90)?

15. Fabian

Fabian IncGamers Member

I echo Shagsbeard's opinion that a complete restart (and I do mean complete, otherwise the taint from hacked gear won't go away) would be best for your long-term enjoyment out of this place. Diablo is (imo) a very fun game which can hold your interest for years and years, but playing with hacked gear will/might cut that enjoyment down to a few months. At least that's how I felt back in my battle.net days when I was just starting out.

Anyway, should you restart, a meteorb is definitely one of the best starting characters. Personally, I'd say a pure blizzsorc might be even better (for running first Hell Meph, then Hell Ancient Tunnels and maybe some Pindleskin), but either way is not a big deal, mostly up to preference.

16. Shagsbeard

Collecting gear with a hacked toon for use on your others makes them just as bad as the original. You'll still get geers if you post about your mat/pats without a restart. The community here is very tolerant of people who wish to play with what ever they want, but become quite rabid when they try to join in the fun with players who play strictly by the rules set up by the forum. If you really want to have our grats on achievements you make in the game, you have to adopt the standards set up by the community.

If you just have questions or want to learn about the game, feel free to participate any way you want.

In terms of a restart, I always restart 7 characters, one of each class. They have to play through the game at the same pace. No character can play in an act that another character cannot enter. That way all the items I find have the chance to be useful, and no character is being supported by a character well over his level. It's a fun way to play, and it can take many months to get all the characters to mat/pat level.

17. Mantis

Mantis IncGamers Member

I'm not looking to bring any trouble, prefer to keep my options open (contests, SPF Trading, etc.), and would like to shed the taint label as quick as possible. I'm just going to chalk the restart up to being part of the repair cost from getting hacked. Starting 7 toons all at once?!... quite ballsy but must keep the game play from getting stale.:thumbup:

I'll start with a sorc again as I don't want my progression slowed/halted with a melee char due to do lack of gear.

18. tavaritz

tavaritz Banned

If you consider the lack of gear a showstopper I suggest that you start a fishymancer, a trapsin and a frostzealot with your sorc. All those builds are not so much gear dependent.

To get the ball rolling I suggest that you read Jiansonz' untwinked early MF Guide. It's about single pass, but the same technique plays when you start from fresh. You can find the guide from stickies.

19. Shagsbeard

My melee characters are usually the stronger ones through normal and NM difficulty. They really only slow down once you get into hell and start comparing your speed to things like lightning zons. With 1.13's runes you can pretty much plan on having an Oath, and even a Grief before all seven characters get to act V Hell.

20. Mantis

Mantis IncGamers Member

@Shags: that is where I stopped with my Barb... Hell/Act-1 or 2. I stopped playing him as he needs more killing power (gear).

@tavaritz: thanks for the reminder. Jiansonz's guide is source of ideas for untwinked play.