HELP! My nephew deleted my 86 Paladin

Nesjan

Diabloii.Net Member
i showed my Nephew my favorite game ever D2 and he accidentally deleted my level 86 Paladin with stormlash, Shako, Zakarum and all end game equipment that took me over two years of playing the game AT LEAST an hour EVERY day to aquire all my super unique equipment.
When i try to create a new character with the same name it says that the character already exists.
The save file exists in C:>users>username>savedgames>diablo2.
The name of my character is Nes.
There is a Nes.D2s file, Nes.key file, Nes.maO file and a Nes.map file
How if possible do i restore these files to playability ????? I know its just a game but d2 is the only game i play now that i am older and i put so much work into this character its really bothering me. PLEASE someone help!!

drmalawi

Diabloii.Net Member
Really sorry to hear. But how can one delete a character "by accident"?

Have you tried to move the files to another directory, then moving them back to C:>users>username>savedgames>diablo2 ?

Nesjan

Diabloii.Net Member
Really sorry to hear. But how can one delete a character "by accident"?

Have you tried to move the files to another directory, then moving them back to C:>users>username>savedgames>diablo2 ?
He is 6 years old i am not sure how it happened. I just tried that unfortunately it id not work

Pb_pal

Diabloii.Net Member
Do you use GoMule? It saves periodic backups so you could always try copying one of those .d2s files into the directory and see if it kicks things back into order.

okey

Diabloii.Net Member
have you made any system rollbacks? if not then you may be SOL. :( condolences, next time (assuming there is one), make periodic backups, it'll save you instances such as these.

GalaXyHaXz

Diabloii.Net Member
Well you say you have the file "Nes.d2s" correct? This is the only important file. It is the actual save. Rest are uncovered maps.

Sounds to me like you downgraded Diablo II. What version are you playing now? What version did you play your old character with? I'd be happy to look at the file for you and see what version it came from, as well if it's corrupted in any way.

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member
Did you scroll around the char screen? In case your nephew made new characters, or looked at your other characters, he might have "hidden" a ways down.

darkstarhub

Diabloii.Net Member
I am with @GalaXyHaXz in that if you have the .d2s file for the character you may be able to fix things. What version were you playing, and were you playing offline or on Bnet? Good luck getting your character back.

Nesjan

Diabloii.Net Member
Thank you everybody for your input, i have tried everything in my computer/D2 knowledge and i am now just facing the fact that my character is gone. I will definetly make backups from now on. Making a new character after so long is actually exciting the only thing that still really stings is i had found a Stormlash and Herald of Zakarum shield both in The Pit Hell, and my paladin was a zealot with Holy Shield. That will probably never again happen in my life if i play till i am 75. Thanks again!

drmalawi

Diabloii.Net Member
There are other fun sheilds and weapons out there if you are gonna do the zealot route. Get GoMule, it is fantastic!

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member
Get gomule, and try to open the .d2s file with that. It might give some error report at least.

sanguillen

Diabloii.Net Member
Thank you everybody for your input, i have tried everything in my computer/D2 knowledge and i am now just facing the fact that my character is gone. I will definetly make backups from now on. Making a new character after so long is actually exciting the only thing that still really stings is i had found a Stormlash and Herald of Zakarum shield both in The Pit Hell, and my paladin was a zealot with Holy Shield. That will probably never again happen in my life if i play till i am 75. Thanks again!
The hardcore Fanatic Zealot has always been my favourite character. Of the many I've made over the last X years, I've never had a Stormlash or an HoZ for any of them to use, so I can't speak towards the effectiveness of a Stormlash (though I see by the specs that it can be very potent indeed). I've always been partial to a 4 OS Sacred Targe with > +30 resistance always built in, and then popping in four Perfect Diamonds to take care of most of my resistance needs right there. As far as weapons go I've used a Redeemer before, but there are two runewords that really shine for me - Oath, and Death (I'm guessing that Grief is as well, but I'm not rune-rich enough to make one.). Death is much harder to hit the 4 frame zeal attack but if you can do it (I currently have one in an ethereal Ettin Axe that hits 4 frames thanks to wearing Treachery), it is just crazy. And Oath has to be the most underrated runeword out there.

Good luck on the next one!

GalaXyHaXz

Diabloii.Net Member
Blizzard cannot restore any Diablo 2 characters, even on battle net. They even quote that on the arreat summit. Anything in single player is strictly on the users computer and Blizzard has no access to them. It appears @Nesjan still has his character file, but the game isn't displaying it. The only two possible reasons are corruption or lower version of Diablo than the character. His save path means he is playing 1.14 likely, but the character may not be in the right path.