Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Help My HDin

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Khronikx, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Khronikx

Khronikx Diabloii.Net Member

Help My HDin

Im looking for input on what to get next for my MFing HDin

Currently here is my gear
    Helm Shako
    Body MP Enigma
    Belt Dungos - was using glooms trap as a filler, dont die as much now
    Gloves Trangs
    Boots War Travs
    Rings Raven / Nagel
    Ammy filler crap rare with about 20CFPres and 37Lres
    Weapon Wizzy - made a Hoto but was dying alot more
    Shield Spirit Monarch

Merc
    Helm filler crap rare with no beneficial stats
    Body Grizz - RalOrtTal for res
    Weapon CA Insight - non eth right now

Im guessing HoZ for my shield would be very helpful
    My rings are crap for HDin MF I assume
    Merc gear is just crap for now, was only worried about getting Insight initially
    Insight was in some low damage polearm until I found the CA, sadly wasnt eth

Based on this what should I be aiming to get as upgrades by priority???

----- also, should i dump remaining points into Holy Shield or Holy Bolt for Throne Wave2??
    guessing the only reason holy bolt can kill them is because they are undead, considering it is magic?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  2. Khronikx

Re: Help My HDin

UPDATE

just got these

HoZ
    26Maras

3. Frostadin

Frostadin Diabloii.Net Member

If it's a MF Hammerdin I would ditch the Trang's and go with Chance Guards. Wizzy + Spirit = 75% FCR, so you don't need the Trang's unless it puts you at the 125% breakpoint, which it doesn't. Swap the belt for a Goldwrap to add more MF as well. You don't mention your helm or boots, obviously Shako and War Travelers are the right call for more MF. This is all assuming you have max resists, 75% blocking, and decent defense of course.

Put your points into Holy Shield. If you're a Hammerdin then it's skill layout synergizes Holy Bolt so it will work fine without wasting hard points.

4. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 Diabloii.Net Member

I'd also swap the Ravenfrost out, CBF isn't really needed on a hdin, tho ofc the dex helps with max block, but i'd take a soj, bk3 or another nagel instead depending on whether you want a bit more pewpew or mf :).

On a personal preference note, never sure why hdins use an insight merc, you have redemption so about the only "need" for an insight would be for long teleport runs, but 4 mana pots in the belt will get you most places.

+1 for adding all remaining points into holy sheild.

Assuming you are now using the HoZ instead of the Spirit Monarch (why monarch on a pally?), that puts you on 70 FCR(50 Wizzie + 20 Gloves), so one extra source of FCR is needed to hit the 75 breakpoint.

you could replace the Ravenfrost with a 10 fcr rare ring
    you could use an arachnid belt instead of the Dungoes (what I would do)
    you could replace the maras with a +fcr amulet (not a good idea, a good pally fcr amulet is one of the most expensive items in d2)
    you could ofc use the Spirit instead of the HoZ, but my preference is HoZ on a hdin, i'd only go for a spirit if i was shooting for the 125 fcr bp.

5. Khronikx

updates, added my helm and boots and yes they are shako and travs

i do plan on getting arachs when able, i could get it now but would it be more useful to get my merc vamp/andys + fort first? he cant take too many hits at the moment before hes dead

6. Shanksie1337

Imo as mentioned, you don't really need a merc, redeem will sort you for mana, and only wave2 Baal will cause you some issues, tho nothing Holy Bolt spam won't fix.

I understand the need to min/max or be "the best" but a hdins merc is like worrying about which peashooter you need whilst holding an AK :).

So for me, I'd get the arach :).

7. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai Diabloii.Net Member

Hehe, pre 1.13 you'd usually see rogue mercs on the hdins to keep them from dying to IM.

Unless you specifically plan on running baal, don't worry about your merc that much. Otherwise he's essential between you and holybolt in getting wave 2 down in a reasonable time.

8. Khronikx

yeah i remember those days, chaos running hdins always had act1 merc
    ive gotten quite a few upgrades since previously posting, and mf'd a perfect maras that im not sure i want to use or trade (currently using a 26maras)

but heres the updated gear
    Helm Shako
    Body MP Enigma
    Belt Arachs
    Gloves Trangs
    Boots War Travs
    Rings SOJ / Nagel
    Ammy Maras 26res
    Weapon Hoto
    Shield HoZ pdiamond, to crappy ed% to merit an Um

Merc
    Helm Vampgaze 7/6/20dr (got tired of looking for Eth, apparently noones has on USWest)
    Body Grizz RalOrtTal for res
    Weapon CA Insight non eth right now

whats next on the to do list? keep in mind I want to be able to run everything
    CtA? Fort for Merc? suggestions....

9. Shanksie1337

Yeah, CTA is probably the thing on the list.

If merc doesn't need the str, a Treachery would be a cheap / easy upgrade from the gris imo. Tho my guess is the non eth CV requires 210 str, which probably means he needs him gris?

An Andys Face will give him LL and str (and IAS), and you still get DR from the Treachery. Tho it's all moot as it's probably going to be a Forti in the long run (even tho i personally would just leave him with Andys / Treachery + Weapon).

10. Khronikx

nah its not a CV its a CA and he is currently holding it.
    the grizz was just a filler body armor, and still is, no real purpose wearing it except the 30res's from runes

ive been thinking about making a Treachery but dont seem to be able to find any eth armors at all to ebug for treachery or fort....

use my hdin for basic mfing, bosses, pits, mausoleum, etc etc
    use my light sorc for cows

have not found ONE non norm eth armor, by that i mean i have not found any eth armors that can not be found in normal aka breast plate

11. Shanksie1337

good point well made, serves me right for trying to ninja post whilst the boss was nearby :D.

Treachery gives no edef, so the lack of eth isn't an amazing loss, plus the runes are dirt cheap for if/when u get your hands on a ebugged 3os elite armour.

I find most of my elite armours in CS with my hdin, and use the "failed" - as in 3os not 4 - ebugs as eTreachery's for mercs

12. Khronikx

alright so theres really no harm in making a treachery in a non eth rather than waiting to make an ebugged armor for it?

13. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai Diabloii.Net Member

Yep, probably want to make it in something you can wear in case you ever want to use it for prebuff as well. As Shank said, there's no ED so you don't get to utilize the primary reason people love ebugged armor anyway.

14. Frostadin

In your original post you asked for advice on improving your MF Hammerdin. You say you want to improve your MF Hammerdin but you're not really doing it. According to your posts:

Original gear that adds MF:
    Helm Shako
    Armor Enigma
    Boots War Travs
    Rings Nagel

"Updated" gear that adds MF:
    Helm Shako
    Armor Enigma
    Boots War Travs
    Rings Nagel

You're gaining a bunch of nice shiny items and "upgraded" your gear, but you have not increased your goal, which you state as MF. You've got cooler stuff, but haven't increased your MF a single point.

You swapped out your Wizzy and Spirit (75% FCR) for HOTO and HOZ. What was the purpose? By doing that you are forced to wear Trang's and Arachnid to hit 80% FCR. Now you've locked up 3 slots to get to the 75% FCR breakpoint and still haven't added MF. What did you gain? Unless it's a pefect 40 HOTO your resistances are less, you have less mana, and the mild damage increase you got from the +skills is negligible and likely won't reduce your kill time. Your MF% didn't even change.

If you go back to Wizzy + Spirit and wear Chance Guards and Goldwrap you gain 55% to 75% more magic find along with better resistances and a bigger mana pool. Plus, you can socket the Wizzy and throw something in there, unlike the HOTO. The SOJ while nice to have, could also be replaced by a Nagelring to add another 30% MF. You won't need the SOJ to cure your mana problems if you have a Wizzy + Spirit. That's an easy 85% to 105% MF that would probably about double your current MF. You have a solid Hammerdin, but what you have is not really a MF Hammerdin.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  15. Shanksie1337

^ you missed the Enigma :D
    (and the charms aren't mentioned either)

I'd assume with Enigma / WT's / Shako (and socket - ptopaz?) / Nagel + Charms the OP will be at ~250 mf easily, which is more than enough. Granted on a hdin running players 1 you might as well lose a bit of pewpew and gain some mf. But for running full games I'd rather just kill quicker with ~250 mf than go overboard on mf for very little extra chance of uniques/sets etc.

16. Frostadin

You're right, I forgot he has Enigma in both builds. I've updated my previous post to include it. Bottom line, he still has the exact same MF as when he started this thread.

As for charms, he did not list any, and those are pretty simple. If you want MF charms, there's really only 2 options: Gheed's and MF charms. However, he specifically listed his gear and asked how to improve it for his MF'er. I'm simply pointing out that what he is doing with his character is not what he asked advice for.

And I may be presumptuous here, but based on his posts I get the feeling he does not join 8 player games to MF. You are correct, killing effectively in a full game is far different from a solo game MF'er. He mentioned improving MF but never mentioned 8 player games so I geared my advice as such.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  17. Khronikx

As stated before there are diminishing returns with MF, I MF solo most of the time, but run bosses in full games when possible. Also, keep in mind im able to rush a full game without CtA right now, does cause me to have to rez merc quite a few times but he is also using crap armor..

Heres the newest update on my gear, after having MF'd a few things, some im not sure if im going to use on another character or trade, so I am not using them now

Helm Shako
    Body MP Enigma
    Belt Arachs
    Gloves Trangs
    Boots Perf War Travs (MF'd these)
    Rings SoJ / Nagel (MF'd another SoJ but not using it as of now)
    Ammy 26Maras (MF'd a perfect but not using it as of now)
    Weapon Hoto
    Shield HoZ pdiamond

Merc
    Helm VGaze
    Body Grizz RalOrtTal for res
    Weapon CA Insight non eth right now

Inventory
    alot here.... i have one 6smfc+7%fireres
    I could use a gheeds and an anni but the gheeds sucks, and the anni I think im going to put on my uber'r since im trying a druid this time rather than a smiter like i did in 1.12
    dont see the point in making another braindead cookie cuttin smiter for ubers to clear in less 40 seconds again..

any suggestions?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010