Help my hammerdin?

CdMagicFind

Diabloii.Net Member
Help my hammerdin?

I think I may have messed up my Hammerdin a bit.

His base stats/skills are:

Strength: 25
Dexterity: 51
Vitality: 284
Energy: 15

Defensive Auras:
1 Prayer
1 Defiance
1 Cleansing
20 Vigor

Offensive Auras:
1 Might
7 Blessed Aim
10 Concentration

Combat:
1 Smite
1 Holy Bolt
1 Charge
20 Blessed Hammer
1 Holy Shield

Gear (mostly what I've found/shopped over a week or two):

Makes a sort of silver color set-up.

28 LR magic Helm
22 CR/26 Life magic Light Plate
3x PDia'd Large Shield
10 IAS/17 ED/18 CR/30 FR/Half Freeze Duration/11 MF rare Heavy Gloves
20 FRW/14 CR/31 FR/21 MF rare Boots
Shard
10 FCR/3 Rep Life/5 Mana/30 LR rare Ring
125 AR/5 Rep Life/8 CR/22 PR/Dam Red 1/3 Light Radius Rare Ring
1 Paly/15 AR/19 Str/6 Dex/39 FR/Mag Dam Red 2 rare Amulet

Adds up to:
FR: 167
CR: 129
LR: 125
PR: 89

In Hell:
FR: 75 (117)
CR: 75 (79)
LR: 75 (75)
PR: 39

For trade I pretty much only have a Goldskin.

I'll take whatever help I can get I guess. I'm in Hell Act 2 with every Andy glitch.

ElDrunko

Diabloii.Net Member
Seems to be coming along pretty nicely in my opinion. His dmg probably isn't too high due to having a shard and no din skill shield. I guess you're in the middle of maxing BA and Conc.

-Tempus-

Diabloii.Net Member
looks like you'll have mana problems if you cant get BO in all your games. you may want to give a 3p gem helm a try.

are you going to stay with 50%fcr or try for 75%?

you could give the Iratha's Finery set a try. that works very well on a hammerdin, you also get +25dex from it so you dont need so much base dex to use a shard. it takes 55 total str to use it but that could be made up from rings.

-Tempus-

CdMagicFind

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah I'm going to try to get all the res remade so I can use a 3 PSap'd Helm with still 75/75/75.

I think I'll try for 75.

I sort of already have the points into dex but not the ones into str. I was wondering whether Iratha's is a better combination than rares..

-Tempus-

Diabloii.Net Member
its not if its better or not, its just easy to get and works very well even in hell games. the resist you get from the full set is great plus the +10%max toall is nice. that puts you at 85%toall and you still have open plate/rings/boots.

depending on the rares you can find, they can almost always be better then sets/uniqs. it just depends on what kind of mods you are looking for.

if you only want a high vit build with no +skills and max to all in hell, then thats easy to do.

but if you want to go from 50%fcr to 75% then you start to limit what you can use for items.

the items you've found sofar work but it to get some dream items can take a very long time. stuff like
amulet: +1 or 2 pal 10%fcr resist all (with anything else life, mana, str, dex)
shield: +1 or 2 pal shield of deflection with resist to all socketed with P diamond (high def grim or barbed)
belt: life/mana/str resist fhr
boots: R/W resist mf or other mods
rings: sojs or caster/resist/mana rings
gloves: Mfist, Fburns, Bfist...
plate: just about anything

-tempus-

WarlockCC

Diablo Classic Moderator
You could eather go for a heavy Goldskin and 3D/Ward shield or perhaps a hawkmail.
Maybe even a Darkglow for even higher max res.
Bootswise you could use Hotspur. :)
Personally, on my Iratha hammerdin I use heavenly garb, some +1 pala kite with 20 res all, 7 str and -20 req(The kite used to be too heavy for him). A +2 pala scepter with +1 hammer. I still need to shop for a better scepter and probably swap a shield from one of my mules.

Rawly

Diabloii.Net Member
If you are pvm paladin trying to get 75,75,75 resists is a waste.

If you spend all your time in the CS you really dont need 75 cold res, my pala has only 23% cr.
Lightning resist is nice to have 75 incase you come up against a lightning emiting monster but you dont really need any more than that.
Poision is annoying but it shouldnt kill you.

The main damaging one is fire so you certainly want that maxed and some extra for when you meet a conviction monster or cursed with lower resists. If you get both at the same time unless you are experienced you should proceed with extreme caution.

Your best source of extra max resists is hotspurs +15% max fire others unless you are dueling sorcs/foh pala are not important 75% is enough.

So stuff like darkglow/hawkmail never on a pvm pala
even iratha's set is limiting, it is ok to start with, and the helm is difficult to beat at any time, but a semi decent set of rares will always be more flexable. As a paladin you should find lots of stuff as you progress.

Kiwi Legend

Diabloii.Net Member
If you are pvm paladin trying to get 75,75,75 resists is a waste.

If you spend all your time in the CS you really dont need 75 cold res, my pala has only 23% cr.
Lightning resist is nice to have 75 incase you come up against a lightning emiting monster but you dont really need any more than that.
Poision is annoying but it shouldnt kill you.

The main damaging one is fire so you certainly want that maxed and some extra for when you meet a conviction monster or cursed with lower resists. If you get both at the same time unless you are experienced you should proceed with extreme caution.

Your best source of extra max resists is hotspurs +15% max fire others unless you are dueling sorcs/foh pala are not important 75% is enough.

So stuff like darkglow/hawkmail never on a pvm pala
even iratha's set is limiting, it is ok to start with, and the helm is difficult to beat at any time, but a semi decent set of rares will always be more flexable. As a paladin you should find lots of stuff as you progress.
You should max everything. Cold damage can be very annoying, Light enchanted can knock the **** out of you if your trying to tank like any pala should. And as you say fr needs stacking deep

Rawly

Diabloii.Net Member
You should max everything. Cold damage can be very annoying, Light enchanted can knock the **** out of you if your trying to tank like any pala should. And as you say fr needs stacking deep
In cs there is nothing that dishes out big cold damage, my lv 93 pala only has like 20-30 cr, lighting is nasty but outside the cs you only need 75% not stacked. In the cs if you kill quickly enough light enchanted doesnt do much damage.

goomba

Diabloii.Net Member
In cs there is nothing that dishes out big cold damage, my lv 93 pala only has like 20-30 cr, lighting is nasty but outside the cs you only need 75% not stacked. In the cs if you kill quickly enough light enchanted doesnt do much damage.
it's not so much that cold damage is life threatening, as it is annoying, nothing like being hit by a mage's glacial thing, or a frost nova from a seal boss' death, especially if/when combined with a decrip curse, and attempting to c-lag from one seal to another, and accidentally bumping into a monster, or other player on the way and ending up in missed charge animation, in extremely slow motion.

there are also, the obvious times where a blizzer will get their dander up, and try to pk/interrupt a cs run. I take it you wait those out in town?

CdMagicFind

Diabloii.Net Member
All right, thanks for all the help. So would I try to get 2 SoJ's for the ring slots? Anyway, I was thinking something like:

Helm: Iratha's
Amulet: Iratha's
Weapon: Shard? Is a scepter more damage? Maybe the below.
Armor: Goldskin?
Shield: 3D then rare
Gloves: Iratha's
Rings: Either 2x Rare (with scepter or until SoJ's) or 2x SoJ I think. Which is more damage? I think I'll have enough res.
Belt: Iratha's
Boots: Hotspur

So.. yeah. Shard/2x SoJ's or Scepter/2x Rares are the best options I think. Need help deciding which..

WarlockCC

Diablo Classic Moderator
You might want to consider going for res rings if you ever replace your 3D, since Iratha's "only" gives 65 res all out of the 135 you need and Goldskin is generally frowned upon because it's so heavy. 3D shields really help a lot, you might get hooked. :)
Res of a el-cheapo hammerdin :
-50 + Iratha = 15
15 + 3D shield = 72
72 + Shard = 82
82 + Heavenly Garb = 92 (85)
Personally, I think with this res you are covered, but you could still put on hotspurs for near complete fire immunity.
92 (85) + Hotspur = 137 (95) / 92 (85) / 92 (85) / 92 (85)

Available slots : the rings.
So if you keep wearing your 3D shield, you could go for SoJs.
At this time I have 1 SoJ and a +1 pala shield on my hammerdin and (probably because of his scepter) he does enough damage to kill things easily without conc. I quite often have salvation on.

goomba

Diabloii.Net Member
All right, thanks for all the help. So would I try to get 2 SoJ's for the ring slots? Anyway, I was thinking something like:

Helm: Iratha's
Amulet: Iratha's
Weapon: Shard? Is a scepter more damage? Maybe the below.
Armor: Goldskin?
Shield: 3D then rare
Gloves: Iratha's
Rings: Either 2x Rare (with scepter or until SoJ's) or 2x SoJ I think. Which is more damage? I think I'll have enough res.
Belt: Iratha's
Boots: Hotspur

So.. yeah. Shard/2x SoJ's or Scepter/2x Rares are the best options I think. Need help deciding which..
a+2 sectpre, with active synergy points (bh, or conc) is exponentially better than a shard from a pure damage perspective.

my din uses a +1 ammy, +2 shield, and a +2, +1 conc, +3 bh sceptre (if I remember correctly) and the Lying Character Screen shows 11k damage from bh with conc on.

I'm not exactly sure on that sceptre mod listing, as it's been hell week at work. In so many words, I'm being forced to accept a transfer to a much less desirable position/assignment, and it's only a matter of time before I resign. Merry Christmas eh?

CdMagicFind

Diabloii.Net Member
Ah, I was thinking of trying for a rare PD'd once I get enough SoJ's. Not sure about Garb vs. Goldskin. The res is:

84 with perfect PD'd rare/garb
84- without perfect rare/garb
109 with perfect PD'd rare/goldskin
109- without perfect rare/goldskin

Where Goldskin takes 25 Str (75 Life) IIRC. But I was thinking that stacked res would be better.

Of course I won't really have all the permed SoJ's for the ring slots as I just started classic. >_> But I want to know what stats, etc. And I assume shard is better here for some reason? <_<

Edit: Oh, didn't see your post. Hm, I don't know if the extra damage is put to use though. Since I think Shard 1hko's most things except d/bosses. Which is why I didn't just do the math. =/ Oh, and good luck with work. Hope you get off soon at least.

WarlockCC

Diablo Classic Moderator
My pala uses a scepter, but you could, if you wanted to, use a shard, since you would only need 1 more point in dex, due to Iratha's giving 25 dex.
Indeed that's 25 points into str you shouldn't put there, since you won't use it for anything after you are done with the garb.
When you get a Perfect pris, PD socketed shield, you will go down 18 compared to the 3D, so I think you would end up a bit lower then 84.

Goomba > don't let them win. Just find something else and give them your months notice(aka, the finger). Granted, the find something else is easier said then done.

goomba

Diabloii.Net Member
one of our vendor's, previously had a habit of NOT recruiting from their larger customers. however, when they found out, that I no longer would be working on project with them, nor in fact employed utilizing my IT skills, and experience, they view it as throwing a resource away, that they can use.

there's a meeting going on, with one of their main implementation experts, the CEO, and the founder today, to present a case, and/or plan for it.

I'm optimistically hopeful, that by the New Year, I will be employed with said vendor. (many prayers have been said, and my fingers are nearly arthritic from crossing them so much)

WarlockCC

Diablo Classic Moderator
Just don't lose your Diablo skills by ruining your mousehand with the said crossing. :)

Well, here's a toast to your potential new job. I'm rootin for yah.