Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Help my Assassin

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by DarkSoulHI, May 28, 2008.

1. DarkSoulHI

DarkSoulHI IncGamers Member

Help my Assassin

I just started playing D2, and haven't played since Diablo 1. I played a Necro till about halfway through Nightmare, than got tired of him and went to Assassin. I love the character but I seem very underpowered.

Here is my end game skill point build, modified from a few guides I read.

20 Tiger Strike
    1 Cobra Strike
    20 Dragon Tail
    1 FOF/COT/BOI
    20 Phoenix Strike
    1 Psychic Hammer
    10 Weapon Block
    10 Claw Mastery
    1 Shadow Warrior
    11 Shadow Master
    10 Fade
    1 Mind Blast
    1 Burst of Speed

I have a Kuko Shakaku bow for my Act 1 Cold Rogue I got from killing Baal on Normal. She does like 400 damage top end, almost as much as my fully charged Dragon Tail.

My gear, well that is another story. Both my weapons are like 10-22 damage with Life/Mana leech at 5% each 10% total for both. I have the following.

Claws = Nothing special
    Helm = Duskdeep
    Body = Darkglow
    Gloves = Non unique but decent w/high MF%
    Boots = Sharkskin something or other 50DEF and nice MF%
    Rings = Nagelring & Cathan's Seal
    Amulet = Another MF item with some other decent skills

What can I get that is affordable for someone with only "found" items? I have some runs but nothing that I could use according to what i've read. Is there somewhere I can hunt for better items with greater success?

Thanks for the help.

2. Mursilis

Mursilis IncGamers Member

Well without knowing your level currently it's hard to say if you need better gear yet. You should be able to shop claws in any difficulty level and get some decent ones with +skills in the appropriate places. As for what runs to make, let us know your level and what act you are in so we can help in that regards.

Looking at your skills, I'd make a suggestion or two. Leave weapon block and claw mastery at one skill point, the rest are wasted and can be used better in other areas. +skill mods to your equipment will raise those two skills up to acceptable levels.

I also would change the 10 points in Fade to 10 points in Burst of Speed. Due to being melee you want to attack and move as fast as possible so that you are continually charging up and releasing said charges. While Fade will protect you from elemental damage, you'll do better to simply freeze the enemies with a cold charge from Phoenix Strike then continue attacking. Keep one point in Fade just in case, +skills will take care of the rest.

3. DarkSoulHI

Re: Help my Assassin

I'm level 42 now, and it's a little late for the leaving WB / CM at 1 point. I had a hard time hitting things so I raised CM to 6 and WB to 5. Fade is at 4 right now, and I don't know how I would survive without it. I'm working through ACT 1 in NM right now, killing everything for levels.

4. Nimbostratus

Nimbostratus IncGamers Member

First off, I'd switch off the MF for stuff with more important stats. Survivability > Killing speed > MF. You can't kill things if you're dead, and MF doesn't help if you're not killing things.

As for your build, don't put more points in Mastery or Weapon Block; CM isn't all that helpful, and Weapon Block has severe diminishing returns. Also, never plan a build with all 110 skill points needed- you generally beat the game by level 85 (96 skill points), and very few people go all the way to 99.

To gather better equipment, decent gear can be had for perfect gems. Things to look for on a melee character are Crushing Blow (reduces enemy life by a %), cannot be frozen, and the usual resists/leech/damage/attack speed/etc. You could also try running bosses, though casters are usually more suited for this.

5. DarkSoulHI

Well I took the initial advice and restarted only putting 1 pt in WB/CM for pre-req's and using Burst of speed over fade. For the equipment, how hard is the Natalya's set to get? Is there a great place to look for it? I will eventually be able to craft stuff up but that looks pretty good for L50-70.

For the boss run, I pretty much tore through normal except for Diablo (the knights were tough with iron maiden). What bosses should I hit?

6. Nimbostratus

Nimbostratus IncGamers Member

Depends on where you are and what you can handle at a reasonable speed.

Normal difficulty:
    -Shenk and Eldritch; they're both easy and only 1-2 screens away from a waypoint.
    -Baal

Nightmare difficulty:
    -Andariel; people primarily run her for SoJ.
    -Mephisto; The first real major MF target. Beware of flayer skeletons.
    -Shenk and Eldritch
    -Baal, but not with melee characters. Oblivion Knights (IM dudes) can spawn in the WSK in nightmare and hell difficulty.

Hell difficulty:
    -Level 85 Areas; primarily run for socketable items for runewords.
    -same as NM, but without Andy.

7. Mursilis

Mursilis IncGamers Member

Nat's set isn't the easiest set to find, mostly the claw is the hard part. The rest you should be able to find yourself or trade for pgems. I don't know what the current trade value of the claw is on the realms. However if you're trading for equipment I might suggest as an alternative Bartuc's Cut-Throat and the Jade Talon. My melee assassin wears one of each and did quite well in Hell.