Help me spend my rune wealth! :)

SWizard

Diabloii.Net Member
Hello, friends!

Long time, no see. Maybe some of you'll remember me. I have been a longtime lurker, sometimes poster, for well over a decade.

In the past few years I did three different playthroughs: one in 2012, another in '15/16, and another in '17/18. When I restarted playing in 2015 I kept my Infinity, +6 BO CtA, and 6 high runes, and deleted the rest. Then started from scratch. I did the same in 16/17, except that I didn't delete the old stuff. Just restarted untwinked.

I'm back to the game again, and now I'm feeling like merging everything I found in this past decade, as there's quite a bit of rune wealth to spend. I used to just keep my runes stashed and almost never pulled the trigger in some of the wackiest stuff. Well, I'm ready for those, now!

First, the runewords I already have access to:
Infinity (eth cryptic axe), +6 CtA, Enigma LP, Chains of Honor, HotO, Death, Oath, eBotD War Pike and Grief PB.

Now, teh unspent roonz: Um x12, Mal x9, Ist x3, Gul x4, Vex x5, Ohm x2, Lo x1, Sur, Jah x2, Cham x2.

As you can see, quite a bit of wealth (specially since I already cubed 2 previous Chams into a Zod for BotD).

Basically, I'm looking for your opinion/tips/personal experience about some of the less obvious runewords. To give some of my own perspective, I always wanted to try Dual Dream, but don't know anything about best bases and best builds for them. Likewise, I have my eye in Ice and Faith, which _also_ need my Jah runes, so that's why I'm looking for some more opinions.

I think that's the overall situation. If you want to know anything specific about my available gear and preferences, ask away, but I'm really just looking for something like "I made runeword X for build Y and never looked back. It was a blast to play and I highly recommend it".

Thanks in advance!

Tenecabo

Diabloii.Net Member
If you've never tried a ww-sin, they're great fun. Chaos claw + fury claw are a good use for some of those runes. You can also go hybrid and make a ghost out of it. One of my favorites.
I myself am running LK to make a faith zon with pride merc. If you like bowzons, it seems like that's a really good setup (but will cost you most of your higher runes).

I've seen a lot of people speak highly of dual dream, and it's something you can use on multiple characters (dual dream charger, bearsorc…).
There's the Phoenix runeword, which you could toss on a fissure druid or a fireballer.

It's kind of hard to throw things at you without knowing what sort of playstyle you prefer or which builds you've enjoyed most so far.

SWizard

Diabloii.Net Member
Hi, Tenecabo! Thanks for replying!

Looking at the runewords, Phoenix, Dragon and Hand of Justice have always looked appealing to me, even though I don't really know where to use them (some thoughts about these would be great). As well as the polearm that gives Concentration (Pride, yes?).

As far as classes go, I absolutely adore Zons. Ice and Faith are very high in my list due to that. I like them so much, in fact, that I consider making Faith in a GMB just to use in the Zon, sacrificing all the builds that benefit from a Faith merc (which I don't really know what they are. Thoughts?). I happened to find a Windforce. Is WF Zon + Faith Merc the best possible damage output, or is Might+Pride merc + Faith on the Zon better? Amazons are my favorite for running Pit for runes and socketables, so Faith GMB + Pride merc, even if expensive, would be high on my list if that combination is absolutely decimating (but I wonder how much better Pride is than simply having Reaper's for Decrep?).

Paladins would be my 2nd choice. I've always wanted to make Riftadin, dual Dream paladin, etc. Are they the best recipient for dual Dream? What else is there for them? I never pulled the trigger on the dual Dream because I thought they would be good only for paladins, but if they are more versatile than that I can see myself making them (hopefully I'll find two more Jah's so I don't have to give up Ice and Faith, heh).

Then, Barbarians. I have only made Sword whirlers and a Pitrunning Berserker (very recently). Would be fun to try other things, like a Bear barb.

Besides that, I like Druids, even though they are not great (from a "how good are these builds compared to something similar in another class" perspective). So any runeword that makes a Druid build *great* would be high in my list, specially Bear forms and Fire Elemental Druids (which I have a clvl25 one currently parked in Act2, btw).

I'm not too fond of Assassins. Haven't even made the cookie cutter builds yet and would prefer those. A good runeword for an Assassin that is also usable by other classes would be higher on my list than doing Claw RWs.

I think that sums it up! Thanks again!

Tenecabo

Diabloii.Net Member
Since you like amazons, you could make bramble and go with a poison javazon. Bramble can be used for poisonmancer and a rabies druid as well. The only downside of bramble on poisonmancer is you lose tele from enigma (though you can use frw for cows, or get tele from an item with charges).
A lot of people including myself have had a ton of fun with poisonmancers, and personally I liked rabies druid a lot. Never tried poison javas, but with bramble I'm sure she'd be pretty effective.

As far as faith+pride vs WF+faith goes, there are a ton of opinions on it. Damage wise they are really close together. It comes down to personal preference I think. If your merc dies, you still shoot at max frames if you use faith. Also, you get a skelly army tanking for you. If you use WF, you can be an amazon with a sister amazon in tow. Preference really.

Yes, beast rune word is definitely a good option too. For bearbarb, but enchantress bearsorc is really nice as well!
A lot of other really fun niche builds just don't require many high end rune words other than the basics. Thinking of singer barb, or riftsin for example. They mainly require uniques/rares/crafteables.

Mungojerry

Diabloii.Net Member
Personally I always viewed bearsorc dual dreams as the endgame of endgames, with stupid lightning damage small charms and max smacks per frame attack speed.

SWizard

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks for your input, folks! Dual Dream is definitely climbing to the top of my list, specially since I found Jahs #3 and #4 between yesterday and today, lol!

Bramble is interesting, I've always wanted to make a poison necro! And he is effective for Travincal and Pit Running, yes? Even when playing builds just for fun I like to go after items.
I will note that the 25-50 range is VERY off-putting for me. Would hate to roll like 27% and feel like I wasted Ohm+Sur. Also I think Pride or Dragon are more appealing to me for a Sur, or honestly can just cube two into a Ber.

And Tenecabo, do you have any experience with Riftsin? Will look into a guide, but if you have any specific recommendations it would be appreciated. I made Rift for a Conviction Zealot and it is loads of fun.

zemaj

Diabloii.Net Member
Uhh... BEARbarb? WOLFbarb! Wolfhowl unique Fury Visor (second in list) gives better oskills, not to mention that 'Beast' is actually a pretty meh shifter weapon, excepting the slvl9 Fanatacism. Great for offhand for some barb builds, though.

Bearsorc is obviously cool, Fuzzydodger (Bearzon) is also good for some lols, and Bearsin can be the fastest attacking char in game with a true 4-frame attack (unfortunately must be 3xShael Greater/Runic Talons to get that, but finally some use for all those elemental damage small charms!)

Zyr

Diabloii.Net Member
Bramble is interesting, I've always wanted to make a poison necro! And he is effective for Travincal and Pit Running, yes? Even when playing builds just for fun I like to go after items.
I will note that the 25-50 range is VERY off-putting for me. Would hate to roll like 27% and feel like I wasted Ohm+Sur.
I got a rotten "Bramble" roll myself-- +28% PSD, level 15 Thorns. I built a Plaguezon around it anyway, and she's enormous fun for me. (Build described here and updated here.) Of course, you have to like Poison. I do; I had previously built three other Plaguezons, and subsequently I've made two more, all using "Peace" armors. I also have two Rabid Druids, a fully synergized Venomancer, and three other Necros with maxed but unsynergized Poison Dagger.

I'm really just looking for something like "I made runeword X for build Y and never looked back. It was a blast to play and I highly recommend it".
In that spirit, I made a "Doom" Berserker Axe for my Wolfbarb, and he's everything I hoped he would be. (If you're interested: Finding the Wolfhowl, assembling "Doom" and other rune words, Wolfbarb at 85.)

And Tenecabo, do you have any experience with Riftsin? Will look into a guide, but if you have any specific recommendations it would be appreciated. I made Rift for a Conviction Zealot and it is loads of fun.
I've no personal experience, but my partner's "Rift" Kicker and my Wolfbarb are enormously fun together in the Pit and Ancient Tunnels. :D

Since you specifically inquired about less obvious rune words, I want to make sure you're aware of two builds by @TopHatCat64 utilizing the "Brand" rune word: Matriarch Tilafaiga - Brand-wielding Strafe/MS/GA/Jab Swiss Army Zon and Patriarch Matau - Brand-wielding Necro Bear. I've no personal experience with the rune word, but these posts certainly expanded my awareness of its possibilities.