Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

help me out: 49 charger remake numero 2

Discussion in 'PvP' started by crawlingdeadman, Apr 24, 2008.

1. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Member

help me out: 49 charger remake numero 2

okay, so i've been having a lot of fun with my 49 charger. i started him out as a pure charger, but felt i needed him to have a secondary attack. i have just decided to remake him again after being unsatisfied with charge/zeal. i'm going to make him up as a charge/smiter this time as i feel the only time i'd be using a secondary attack is vs opponents i'm having a hard time hitting with charge. since my zeal was secondary and had fairly low ar, i think smite and it's auto hitting is exactly what i need. with both the original and this latest remake i've learned a lot, but i need help with some skill placement and some general tips on how to improve.

gear as it is now:
    guillume's face (ias jewel)
    shaftstop (ias jewel)
    eth oath sc
    um'd hoz
    bloodfists
    raven frost
    angelic ring/ammy
    string of ears
    gores

switch i've not completely decided upon yet. i've mostly been using one handed with hoz to keep my res high. the characters i'd most want to use two handed vs (sorcs) were at times giving me trouble because of my lowish res without a shield. at the moment ive got a crappy insight staff. was thinking of using an eth insight something-or-other (cv most likely), but i'm open to suggestions.

inventory is mostly plain 18-20 lifers with some max/ar/lifers thrown in and one lonely ar/life gc.

stash is a mix of res gear with tgods and dwarf being available to sorb various damage types.

now for my remake i still want a strong charge with smite being the back up. my skills i'm going with for charge are:
    20 fanat
    20 charge
    1 holy shield
    1 savlation
    with prereqs i'm left with 12 skills. my question is would smite be better to put those 12 points into or holy shield? if i'm reading it correctly (and if it's right) the german calc says i need 78%ias for 6 frame smite with level 22 fanat. i like bloodfists, but dont know if partial ik set usage would be better. i didnt want to use the dex/str from the gloves if i was going to try and swap out belts and i'd rather use gores than ik boots, but i'd like to get a second opinion. as a smite weapon is oath any good? i know it's great for just about everything else at 49, but i'm not sure it does damage enough. should i have a second shield/weapon combo to smite with? it'd be tough to charge in and swap weapons really quick before smiting, but i'm sure i could get used to it if i had to.

anyway sorry for the rambling post, any thoughts on what i've posted?

2. [exile]

[exile] IncGamers Member

Re: help me out: 49 charger remake numero 2

Holy Shield will benefit you more than Smite since you can't wear Grief, that much I can guarantee you.

The rest of it... I have no experience and no better suggestions for you :) Concerning weapon choices, there may me some better choices for exclusively Smite, but none that I can think of that would equally benefit Charge.

3. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Member

thanks for the help, exile. i went ahead and plowed through a remake. though i was initially displeased with smite, i've already changed my mind and started to love it. it's exactly what i was looking for and because i've pumped holy shield, i've gained life from the lower amount of dex required for max block, and i've gained a ton of def.

my next step (after dueling a pretty good ww/conc barb) is to make a prudence dusk. i'd not thought of that as an option, but since the holy shield boost, i must say i think it's a winner of a gear option.

4. mystified

mystified IncGamers Member

nice thought. that would gives tons of def, and nice resists to boot. (gonna copy this now lol!!)

although i can't help but to wonder..since smite doesn't really benefit from weapon ED%, would it be a good idea to get 'other' sort of weapons? life u know..CB/Ow stuff or shael-ed war axe type of weapon. latter means that you won't have to worry about ias, and could work better if you use it on sceptre with fana or something along those lines..(that is if you don't really care about range)

PS just realised. would that extra boost in defense and loss of 30% DR hurt you or not? guess you will have very high def...but i dunno. just curious

5. NewForumBloke

NewForumBloke IncGamers Member

I still think for a smite set up your going to want some sort of +combat/+fanta/40ias scepter with either ias/res jewels in it, or sheal, or w/e u need to make up in ias speed. Save the Oath/Hoz for dealing charge dmg, use that scepter, or a similar one, for use with smite. Of course though... using some sort of range 3 weapon could really benefit you since you were complaining about range. I do have a black flail and a steel flail if you want to give em a shot.

6. NightShade

NightShade IncGamers Member

Might want to swap out the Shaftstop for peace if you use charge over other skills though it's nigh on useless for smiting.

7. [exile]

[exile] IncGamers Member

The best I could think of in terms of an OW weapon is a 6os War Axe/Naga with 3xUm and 3x Shael. If you want CB I don't think there's anything at Range 3... too bad Kingslayer has that Gul in it, heh.

The other benefit of the rune'd axe is that it hits your BP for you so you don't need any off-weapon IAS, freeing up some of your jewel slots. After all you don't need IAS for Charge anyway.

You can also try a Duress armor for some CB/OW but of course you lose the DR as well as an eth Dusk Prudence's defense (up to 2.8k I think).

The Gnasher has nice mods but it's only range 1, I think.

Sorry, just throwing random ideas at you. :)

EDIT: If you care for prebuff, maybe an Obedience for Enchant?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008