Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Help me on my Lightning Sorc

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by maxgerin, Jul 1, 2005.

1. maxgerin

maxgerin IncGamers Member

Help me on my Lightning Sorc

Character name : Pandora
    Character type : Sorceress
    Character level : 76
    Character exp : 481278954

Strength : 80
    Energy : 45
    Dexterity : 185
    Vitality : 120
    Stat Points Rem : 35
    Skill Points Rem: 1

Life : 841 / 375
    Mana : 1306 / 205
    Stamina : 259 / 259

Skills (hardpoints):

Lightning
    --Charged Bolt: 12
    --Lightning: 20
    --Chain Lightning: 20
    --Lightning Mastery: 20
    --Telekinesis, Teleport, Static Field: 1 each

Fire
    --Fire Bolt: 1
    --Fire Ball: 5
    --Fire Mastery: 1
    --Warmth: 1

My initial plan was to max Fire Ball. But I'm thinking, is it still worth it?
    Should I just max Charged Bolt, then boost Nova as high as possible and let my merc do the killing of Lightning Immune critters?
    Basically, what can I do with this build to somehow manage Lightning Immune?
    And, is it worth to invest even a point in Frozen Armor?

She's now entered Hell and finished Den of Evil Quest.

Planned gear:
    Helm--Griffon's Eye
    Armor--Ormus' Robes with Chain Lightning
    Weapon--Eschuta's
    Gloves--Magefist
    Ring1--SoJ (open to suggestion)
    Ring2--SoJ (open to suggestion)
    Ammy--Mara's (open to suggestion)
    Belt--(open to suggestion)
    Boots--(open to suggestion--might go with resist, since I think I will lack that)

Given the Helm (25%FCR), Armor (20%FCR), Weapon (40%FCR), and Gloves (20%FCR) = 105%FCR which is the breakpoint right?
    But I read in the CL/FO Sorc guide by m0nk Lightning skills are slower, is this true? Should I increase my FCR? If so, what is the optimal level?

Anything else to improve the build?

Thanks for any suggestion/comments. :thumbsup:

--maxgerin

2. Ulanji

Ulanji IncGamers Member

Once I "finish" my Fire synergist Sorc, My plan is to make the following Sorc:

Sorceress - Ulanji, resurrected (she was originally my EverQuest cleric)

TOTAL - 110 points, a.k.a. level 99 ... hey--gotta shoot for the stars right?

1 Frozen Armor
    1 Warmth

20 Charged Bolt
    20 Lightning
    20 Chain Lightning
    1 Static Field
    20 Nova
    1 Thunder Storm
    20 Lightning Mastery
    1 Telekinesis
    1 Teleport
    4 Mana Shield

So, what's my backup damage source? *long pause* This neato orb currently being used by my Fire Sorc, Vesuvius:

+2 Sorc Skills
    +2 Frozen Orb
    +2 Cold Mastery

With so-so gear, Vesuvius (with zero cold points other than Froz Armor) has a dmg 110-118 Orb. Enough to dispose of /players 1 Fire Immunes in Hell Diff. When in areas sans FI's (a.k.a. maggot lair *drool*), synergies make for insane damage.

But don't listen to me--I have a lv 84 amazon with max'ed Fend and Valk!! :lol:

3. maxgerin

Goodness, I didn't know that you can use +skills from items even without investing any point in that skill's pre-req/s. :eek:
    Totally stupified...
    Then I shouldn't have wasted points in the fire skills...

Thanks for the info! :)

--maxgerin

4. salvo

salvo IncGamers Member

Max, IMHO your build is a bit screwed.
    If you're planning a pure light then you should max out charged bolt and nova, leave the fire tree only one point on warmth.
    If you are planning ChainL/fireball then you should leave the charged bolt only as pre req, then max out the Fireball and Fire mastery.

I personally suggest a new start.

A pure lit sorc won't be able to handle crowd of LI without certain rare, just ignore and teleport past them.

ammy: Powered (+3lit) with your prefered second mod
    Belt: arachnid mesh for sure
    Boot: Silkweave/wartrav
    Shield: lidless

Try to reach 120% FCR for 12 frames lighting (actually 117%)

well, anything else to improve the build? ofcourse rainbow facet with -5% to enemy resist, no need worry for the +x%, already got high from lit mastery.

a diffrent approach is to use cresentmoon runewords for the -35% enemy resist, i'm aftering this.

goodluck

5. lasagnaman

lasagnaman IncGamers Member

if iirc the +2 sorc skills only applies to skills that you have hard points in. so you would only have a lvl 2 FO/CM. isn't that the way it works?

6. adeadrat

adeadrat IncGamers Member

afaik you would have lvl 4 FO/CM. hard points do not matter

7. PinkeyandtheBrain

PinkeyandtheBrain Banned

Nope thats not how it works. Thats how it works for synergies. Case and point if yuu were to have a enigma you would automatically have slvl 3 of teleport because of the +2 to skills 'nigma grants[/example]

8. Ulanji

Ulanji IncGamers Member

For reference, when Vesuvius equips the orb with +3 to skills via other items, she ends up at Lv 7 Orb, Lv 7 Cold Mastery. If I sacrifice resists, I can get it up to 9/9. That yields 110-118 per Orb shard.

Even with this weaker Orb, killing goes SLOWLY in Hell. I know you'll kick my shins, but when I'm in a highly-concentrated FI area, I've been switching to /players1. I know it's cheesy ;) But, to me that's a small price to pay in the quest for 20/20/20/20 (FBolt/FBall/Meteor/FMastery). Can't wait to see the numbers!

Currently Vesuvius is level 75, sitting at 7/20/20/13, I believe. The other points have gone into a "save-my-butt" Mana Shield. This, as opposed to the "leotard-wearing-tank" Mana Shield otherwise known as the "defensive build" or something. So, I've got 8/4 (aiming for 12/4) into TeleKinesis/ManaShield, respectively. Enables her to survive baddie zergs quite well without stopping the torrent of deadly fire.

Oh, and to make the half-ass TK/MS work, She's got around 200 Energy so far... maybe 120 VIT. Yeah! It's the habit I got into playing Diablo 1, where the sorc would have 255 INT, and was basically invulnerable using his 1-to-1 damage ratio and 100% re-direction to the mana pool. Ahhh Diablo 1.

Everyone here seems to encourage VIT VIT VIT, but I don't see any reason to go that route if you're not HC, and you're not dying much. My sorc has died 2 or 3 times so far, mainly because I get a bit of a Kamikaze complex with so much firepower at my disposal. :lol: Time will tell. :)

9. maxgerin

I know, I totally screwed up the skill distribution... again... It was late when I saw a copy of m0nk's CL/FO (imagine, I even saved it in my strategy folder :rolleyes: ). I thought that Fireball, though totally would be less powerful than my MeteOrb's, would be enough. Then I guess I just have to accept the 7 wasted skill points and go with a semi-pure Lightning Sorc. Maybe I'll finish the game with 5 points in Nova (~lvl 85). Then level her to ~90 doing Pindy/Countess runs.

Just would like to say, +mana charms are the best! They allowed me to play mid-Act2 Normal to Hell Act1 in a day ~10 hours. The main purpose of the build was actually to test how fast I can literally rush (not the one where you need a higher character--don't know how, and don't like the cheesy-ness) to Hell Hellforge. The moment you reach clvl 18, jam all those +mana charms, TP and CL makes it really fast. And you don't need to aim, which really takes time if you will. I know, I'm still slow for rush (play /p8 all the way so far), I like killing stuff... :teeth:

Thanks for everyones' suggestions an comments! :)

--maxgerin