Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Help me, I fear for someone's life...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SomeCanadianGuy, Mar 29, 2004.

1. SomeCanadianGuy

SomeCanadianGuy IncGamers Member

Help me, I fear for someone's life...

Someone, anyone, please, try to comfort me. I'm asking you guys, because I have no one else I can talk to, because I have no one else to turn to, at this moment.

Maybe 45 minutes ago, I just got a phone call from my girlfriend. She was whispering on the phone. I could barely make out what she was saying. "I'm sorry," was the first that I could make out. Sorry? What about? "I'm so sorry. Talk to me. Please. I need to hear you talk to me." Well, I can't talk to you if you don't talk to me. What's wrong? "Nothing. I just need to hear you talk to me." Kate, you never ask me to just talk to you. What did you do? "Nothing." Kate, I know you better than that. What. did. you. do? "Nothing." Stop lying to me. I know you're lying. Tell me what you did. "You're getting angry." I'm not angry. I'm worried sick. Tell me, please, Kate. What did you do? "I'm so sorry." Why are you sorry? "I didn't mean to!" Didn't mean to what? "Please don't be angry." I'm not angry, I'm worried sick, more so than eer before in my life. Kate, please, for the love of god, tell me what's wrong. What did you do? PLlease please. Telle me!! "I didn't mean to!" Kate, please tell me. I'm not angry now, but I will be if I dont find out why you're angry. Please. "The lines. THey're bleeding." (At this point I go from being worried to shaking with fear) What lines? "The ones I made." What. did. you. do..... "It hurts. The razors, tehy hurt me. I hurt me. I hurt myself." You didn't... You can't have.. I talked to you an hour ago, and you were laughing. Kate, for the last time, what did you do? "I cut myself. Made lines up and down my arms."

It's pretty much at that point that my mind went nuts. Completely f***ing nuts. I spent the next 20 mintues talking her through cutting off the bleeding, all the while trying to convince her to get help from her mom, who was in the basement watching movies and had no clue what was going on the bathroom. 20 minutes later, Kate is in her bedroom, separated from the razors by 2 doors and a pinkie swear (holier than swearing on the bible for her), she won't go near them again. The bleeding is stopped. She's sitting on ehr bed, and won't let me off the phone.

She doesn't ahve the courage to tell her mom or even ask for hepl. She insists she'll be able to deal with it on her own... Another 10 minuts and I've convinced her that if she can't ask her mom for help, then i have to do it for her. Another 10 to work up the courage to let her go on the phone.

My cell phone dies. ****!! Wrong ****ing time to toy with me!!! Pick up the phone. Kaci (my uber ***** of a sister) is on the line. Run up 3 floors. Knock as calmly as I can on her door, hands tremabling.. (mucha as they are now as I try to tyep... ) Kaci, please get off the phone. "I don't wanna. I'm talking ot my friend|" Kaci, please, get off now. I need the phone. NOt because i want to talk on it. I'd rather not. But I absolutely have to use the phone. I need it right now. "PFfffty. I dont wanna." THen I'm hanging up for you. *click* I hang up the phone. "Hey, i was talking." Now you're not. *ring* ****! kaci picks up. *click, i hang up again.(* I need it now. I unplug phone from jack in wall. Tear 3 flights back down to the basement, kaci screaming at me the whole way, dad flipping out because she's screaming. I grab the cordless on ym way by the living room. Almost fall over as I try to dash down the staoirs and dial at the same time.

"Hello." Elsie.. "OH! Hi Jason!" I'm going to make thsi quick."What do you mean?" You're daugter needs you. "Huh?" She's upstairs, in her room. And shee needs you. "What do you mean?" She just cut herself. "No. What?" She cut open her arms, using razor blades. "How much." I don';t know. But the bleeding stopped. She's in her room. She needs you. Now. Please, go help her. I can't. I'm stuck here. Please, go. "Bye" *click*

A little bit of a sigh of relief. But not much. Dad, mom (who was woken by kaci's screaming) and kaci fall onto me and start flipping out. "What the hell was that about? WHy did you just do that? What's wrong with you?" I can't say. I really can't. "TEll us now. We want to know. AS your parents, you have to tell us!" Kate. She just hurt herself. "She can deal with it." SHE CUT HER ****ING ARMS OPEN WITH A RAZOR BLADE!!! *shocked stare* "That's still not a" YES! IT ****ing is! And im sorry if you don't agree, but she's important enough for me to risk whatever ****ing punishement you want to dish out. Now, kindly, leave me alone. Now. *i storm off downstairs*

I sit here, fingers trembling, sweating like a pig ready to roast, i can barely make any sense of what's happening. All i want to do is put my fist thorugh something. Break something. Smash something. But I can't., Muist remain calm and compaosed. It's how I am. It's what I am. I'm the pillar of rock that everyone around me gravitates towards in their time of need. Now who the **** do I turn to? I have no one. No pillar. No rock. Not even a small wooden shanty with a generous old man with a kind ear. Nothing. So I turn to you. The OTF. An online forum populated by some good people, some bad people. Some old and wise, some young and immature.

I jsut needed to tell ysomeone, and you're the only ones I could without much fear of it getting back to her that I let it out. God, why the ****? What went wrong? What snapped? What happened? **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ****!!!!! Why?!!?!?

Forgive the grammar, the errors, it's not my fault. Now is not the time for proper wording or phrasing and proofreading. Now is the tiem for worry. And now is teh time forme to stop typing.

Anyone say something. pleasde. comfgort me. comfort the pillar. before it crumbles. and before i crumble. please.

2. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Dude, you did the right thing. You talked her away from the razors and you got some help for her.

And I think you were right to take the phone from her sister. This was way more important than any conversation with a friend. I hope the rest of your family understands why you had to do this.

3. VampiroXIII

VampiroXIII IncGamers Member

If I were in your situation, I would haul *** over to her house if it were at all possible. If not, use your charger to power your phone and call her, and don't hang up. I think you handled the situation with your family well, I probably would've started throwing down. I can't really think of anything to tell you besides that and I sincerely hope everything turns out okay for her and yourself.

4. th5418

th5418 Banned

Hey, I seem to go through that everyday. You did the right thing. If possible go to her house, now.

EDIT
    Yeah, sounds like my life somewhat alright.

5. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

I think you did the right thing. If you live close, going and visiting might be good, if she cares about you enough to call at that time, then I think she could use your support. I don't know what your relationship with your parents is like, but maybe you could talk to them, and if not at least say something now that you've all clamed down a bit. Give your girlfriend support, and try not to treat her any different. Don't down play it, it's very serious, but don't treat her (and maybe talk with her parents to) like a criminal, a small child, or a like see had gone insane. I pray that she is able to work things out, it is never worth it, and that's not idle talk, I've been closer to doing that then I'd like to be. If you have a close friend or relative call them.

Make sure she knows she's not alone, that is the best thing you can do. Talk to her some how. I know that after a thing like that, you think you want to be alone, but what you both need, is to be with someone, and best each other.

6. piff

piff IncGamers Member

I was in a simliar situation before, just it didn't go as far as this one did. My friend was happy online and then she said brb and came back in all caps I'M GONNA GO KILL MYSELF....so naturally I was scared. I shakingly jumped through hoops to find her phone number. My mom called her house and talked to her mom. Everything was ok. But I do know the feeling of how frightened you can be when someone that you are close to is ready to kil themselves, and there is very little you can do to stop it.

Let me tell you, you did the right thing. Her mom is on the job, and she obviously didn't cut deep if it's not bleeding. Everything will be alright.

EDIT: Yes, I too am the pillar for my friends, and I too posted here when I was going through my problem.

7. th5418

th5418 Banned

Ive been through the situation of actually talking to a person while she was cutting herself. I convinced her but the next day I saw the cut. Im so useless. But must remain calm, be pilar of rock.

8. SomeCanadianGuy

on phone with her right now. her mom says she looks physically almost alright. the wounds on her arm aren't that deep. she only cut open one arm. no more bleeding.

i dont know anything. i dont know what to do. what to do... i cant exactly do anything right now. im stranded here. i just need. to be alone. and yet i dont. a rock cant speak. it can only stand steadfast. and weather the winds. and the tide. and it mnust either stand strong and show no signs of wear. or it must ccrumble and collapse in the sands of time. thhe tests are laid. now i either do or die. and im not dying. im not stupid enough.

as a sidenote, **** capitals. typing with one hand is too hard... ****ing christ.

edit: im not going to see her. not now. id only make things worse. im not built to do deal with this. it happens to others and they talk to me, and i cpmfort them. but, who the **** do i talk to? brooding is wonderful. ****.

9. memememe173

I've been on the other side of that...I've talked myself out of it with the same reasoning, must remain calm, be pilar of rock.

10. memememe173

Don't be alone, you need some one. There is no shame in admiting you need help. Something life shattering has happened to you tonight.

Remember, he who does not bend, breaks. Trying to remain the pillar of rock through this will be bad for you. And you don't have to shatter, just bend. What dosn't destroy us makes us stronger, and it's true. If you can let some emotions go, you'll be a better rock the next time it's needed.

Also, good job on keeping calm enough to help her through.

11. th5418

th5418 Banned

Talk it over with a good friend. Dont be a fool. You need help. Don't be like me and coup it all up. I never talk with anybody.

12. piff

piff IncGamers Member

Rocks can erode (sp?) and still exist. Maybe that's what you need to do.

13. SomeCanadianGuy

I don't talk either. It's how i was brought up. Whole life, i've been alone. friends have just been passing. nothign serious. I'll live through it. Honestly, I've seen too much first hand of suicide to even consider it myself. My cousin killed himself. In a very noble way, but he nonetheless ended his life too. I'm not going to kill myself. But i'm not going to talk. becasue i ahcve no one to talk to... SO that's where it lies.

14. Anyee

Anyee IncGamers Member

Usually when someone cuts herself in this manner, it is a release of tension and not a suicide attempt. She's hurting badly, but that the cuts aren't deep proves that she still has some degree of self-control and that is what you need to speak to.

First, take care of yourself. You have done everything possible in this situation and you have done everything right. Short of flying over there to get the razor out of her hands, calling her parents was probably the best thing you could have done. It is alright to be upset and you should definitely allow yourself that luxury, but try to direct it away from the members of your family. I know that is hard, but they will be a resource for you through this if you can depend on them. If you can't, get yourself to a friend's house fast. Anyone who will help you deal with this is fine. I'll PM you my phone number and we can talk if you need to.

Your girlfriend needs help right now. She is a danger to herself, even if she is not suicidal. If her parents are not willing to, then you need to do this. This help must be in the form of someone who is trained to deal with this. There are in the US hotlines that someone can call; I am sure Canada has something similar. She needs to speak to someone to get her into a state that she will not do this again. In a worst case scenario, take her to an emergency room or call the local psychiatric hospital. She doesn't need to be "committed" if she can be talked out of hurting herself, but she needs to be observed overnight, either by her parents, you, or a trained professional.

If this is the first time this has happened, she needs to speak to someone and get a thorough evaluation. It is likely that this is no more than a depressive episode, but self-injury can also signal a lot of more serious problems than depression. It may be tempting to blame her, but don't. She's as scared as you are and needs you to listen. Don't give advice, don't give recriminations. Just listen to her.

If you can, take tomorrow off and see her. Right now, though, call her parents to see if everything is okay and see if there is anything you can do. Don't rush over there unannounced.

I've been the cutter and the watcher. These are what I know to help.

15. gaoneng

gaoneng IncGamers Member

Make sure her physical wounds get professional medical attention at once. She risks getting infection and scars if too late. She also risks injuring her nerves, no matter how superficial the wounds may seem.

And consult a psychiatrist for advice on how to help her out.

16. Rath6585

Rath6585 IncGamers Member

Attempted suicide is usualy a cry for help... try to find out what is upsetting her and let her mother know about it, seek counseling if neccisary. This is something that has to be resolved quickly before anymore harm happens as doing nothing only makes it worse. So stand strong, be brave, and help her in anyway you can.

17. DeamonMonkey

DeamonMonkey IncGamers Member

Wow, man, Good Job.

Talking someone down from sucide, that's no small thing. You've done the best possible thing for her, now help yourself. Really take the advice of the people here, we can be your pillar.

Again good job, and thanks for not letting someone hurt herself.

18. SomeCanadianGuy

She didn't want to kill herself. Not yet. I know her that well. Not yet, as in, she might one day. That's where my problem lies. Because I won't always be there. I won't always be able to talk her through it. Then what?

19. Ringworm125

Ringworm125 IncGamers Member

Just want to say, good luck with all of that. Hope you and her are alright.

P.S. You should be a freakin poet man. The stuff you write is in excellent form. :winner:

20. Anyee

Anyee IncGamers Member

Then by that time she'll hopefully have developed the skills to talk herself through it or have a support system that isn't you.

This is a line of what ifs that will only end in a lot of unneeded angst. Don't go there.