Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Help me get through single player /players 8 hardcore hell!

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Trapin', Aug 20, 2017.

1. Trapin'

Trapin' Diabloii.Net Site Pal

I made a bet with my friend that I could complete single player /players 8 hardcore hell. The only rules are, I can't use any programs or 3rd party programs. I have to complete hell, type /players 8 at the start of every game, and if I die I lose the bet. I made a trapsin and just hit level 61 in Nitemare. I'm curious what kind of items/build should I strive for as Hell approaches. I decided to use a shield/claw build as it's difficult to find good claws in SP. I use a defense merc from normal for defiance aura.

So here's some questions.

1) What should my skill progression look like? Should I just be maxing trap skills? More into Fade? More into Shadow Master?

2) What Item bonuses should I look for in armor? FHR? All Res?

3) What runewords/unique/rare items should I search for before running through nitemare?

4) What especially should I look out for in hell to avoid dying?

5) I have Nef/Lum for Smoke and a 2 os Superior Breastplate. Should I wait to find a higher quality armor to make the smoke?

6) With info below, what should be my priority?

Right now I'm wearing Artic armor/belt for MF, MF gloves, MF boots, Rhyme Shield, 20 Ias Claw (I just got a +2 Lightning Sentry +2 Mind blast claw) Lore Helm, MF rings, Mahim-Oak necklace. I have a Lum rune I plan on making Smoke with. With Fade I have 42/75/75/48 Res. My Merc is using Strength runeword, Stealth armor, and Duskdeep Helm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!

T72on1 likes this.
  2. okey

okey Diabloii.Net Member

was there a stipulation where you can xfer items onto your char, becase I did not read one included in your list of rules. if not I would suggest xfering as many trap gcs and as many gg items you can because /p8 hell is going take a long... long long long time to complete. Why?-- because you'll have to play extremely carefully otherwise as every besides you will have 450% the hp and as well as the fact every dmg will do 50% more to you.

I would suggest gambling for a 20-25 pdr amulet and circlet before you head into hell as it may be the difference of life or death as somethings (say a random volleys of arrow, darts, etc) that wouldn't kill you will surely do so if you get hit in multiple succession. Also beware of stair traps, always spam your cloak when you head into new areas. Godspeed, I am rooting for you.

PS: If you actually do go through with it and somehow make it to Ancients, good luck :)

3. Trapin'

Untwinked. So no xfers.
    Can you shop pdr stuff? Are you talking the flat pdr or the %?

4. jiansonz

jiansonz Diabloii.Net Member

I think okey is talking about the 'of Life Everlasting' affix that can only spawn om magical amulets and circlets, so gamling is the way to get those. It's flat 'damage reduced by x'.

In the SPF tournaments, the only build I remember going through the entire game on /p8 is Insane Wayne's Plague Javazon. Search for Emerald Lin, as that was her name.

Pb_pal likes this.
  5. Gynli

Gynli Diabloii.Net Member

I'm a complete noob compared to most of the forumers here, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Firstly, seeing that there is no rule against rerunning areas,
    You can over-level and over-farm your way through until you have 'perfect' gear.

1) Go for the trap skills, and max fade; iirc hard points into fade give u pdr (correct me if im' wrong).
    -- or was it max res..?

2) speaking of max res, maxed out resists is a must for survival. Poison not so much, but maxed out fire/light/cold is a must. Since it's HC, go all out on survival before even considering mf. Charms are easy to source of resists when you get unlucky with gear drops.

3) As far as gearing goes, any gear that will boost your survivability will do. Again, max resists is a must. I'm not too keen on the 'optimal' set up for a trap sin, but do have a look on the mat/pat thread to see what the favourite set ups are.

4) Stair traps. Ugly aura stacks. Always keeping a path back to safety. Peeling small group of mobs at a time. etc. I guess the best thing to look out for is the focus level and playing smart. Don't take unnecessary risks. =P Oh and also give Insane Wayne's naked zon. it wasn't /p8 irrc, but it's an awesome read.

Link : https://www.diabloii.net/forums/threads/conqueror-alkithoe-1-11-hc-naked-zon.483495/

5) I play SC mostly, so I like to keep stuff and wait for the perfect or near-perfect opportunity to use my resources; but I would definitely upgrade if it means a good boost to ur survivability. You can't use the Lum when you are dead. =P

6) I'm not too familiar with gearing. just a rule of thumb for myself, if it boosts my survivability I see it as an upgrade. Do note though, killing stuff fast enough counts towards survival.

/p8 in Hell is difficult to say the least, so goo dluck to you. May the drops be in your favor.

I hope to read more about your progress. Keep us updated! =D

sanguillen and pharphis like this.
  6. Trapin'

Update:
    I now am using; Smoke, Lore, Rhyme, +2 Lightning Sentry +2 Mind Blast Greater Talon, Nightsmoke Belt, Mahim Oak Necklace, Magefist Gaunts, Nagel Ring, MF ring, MF boots.
    I found my Merc a Strength Partizan, Boneflesh Platemail, and Rockstopper.

My Merc seems to be way stronger now and can handle his own. Still unsure if I should get a holy freeze merc tho, because often the monsters chase me and my Shadow Master lasts like 10 seconds.

7. pharphis

pharphis Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Holy freeze should help with your traps hitting, and overall safety.

8. Drystan

Drystan Diabloii.Net Member

That's a tough one. /players8 Hell is hard for any character.

My first bit of advice would be to simply read the Matriach/Patriach/Guardian compilation thread, and specifically look for Untwinked (marked by "*",) in the Hardcore Assassin section.
    It can be done, but I would imagine that all of those were lowered to /players1 in Hell. All, if not most, of my HC chars were lowered to /players1 for Hell, and only a couple of my twinked HC chars "may" have been capable of /players8. I believe if I had any, they would've been heavily twinked.

What time frame do you have on your bet? If you have an indefinite timeframe, I would create two characters: A HC (the bet) one you have, and a SC one to test areas with.
    I did that with my Median playthough, that was a thread on the forums. The SC one "explored" areas, items, challenges and playstyle, and the HC one then followed suit, in a more tactical and experienced style.

How experienced are you with D2? There are some key, danger mobs/areas for Hell, but can be overcome with experience and knowledge of D2 mechanics. Nightmare isn't "that" much more dangerous, unless if your playstyle is careless. It's that in Hell, your damage will slow down, and those "dangerous mobs/areas" can overcome you very quickly if not prepared.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  9. sanguillen

sanguillen Diabloii.Net Member

Agree 100% regarding resists. Fade gives you both (but untwinked, with + skills you likely get to only around 5% PDR and 50% all resist), but to me in HC it can be a danger point because if you get distracted and it somehow wears off, that's a sudden 50% loss in all resistances, and since I'm prone to distraction....

Therefore I go the Burst of Speed route myself. I would argue that max resists in Hell are achievable even untwinked. Smoke is great to have, and runes for Spirit Crystal Sword and Spirit Monarch (35% LR/CR/PR) should be plentiful (it's just a matter of finding either a white Monarch or a 4 os Monarch). Spirit to me is the greatest "econo" rune word out there....+22 Vitality on each is a great bonus, and the huge mana Spirit gives allows for the rings and amulet to focus on resists and more life (and +skills, if you're lucky). It's too bad traps rely on IAS, otherwise there would be a terrific FCR boost as well.

Also agree on taking it slower, and always having a backup escape route when things go south. I made a Trapsin thread not too long ago asking about Shadows, but the members here came up with some great advice just in general that I would highly recommend that Trapin' read....

10. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

I disagree that it's hard to get good claws in SP. I shopped some +3 Traps / +3 Lightning Sentry ones from Anja. Just takes a little patience. I probably would have been quicker, but I incorporated it into my Pindleskin run routine. Made it less boring.

11. ioupainmax

ioupainmax Diabloii.Net Member

Hell Countess runs are not too dangerous (you can lay traps to shoot around corners or through doorways) just have to deal with lightning immune archers with CoS and Death Sentry.

12. Trapin'

So I'm in Hell now. I'm having an issue with lightning immune and my Merc is dying way too fast from normal monsters.
    I'm afraid I"ll have to respec as well to get more fire blast to deal with LI. I guess I need better gear for my Merc, and I probably need some damage reduction as well.

At the moment I have 20 LS, 20 DS, 20 CBS, 10 Shock Web, 7 Fire Blast.
    1 in shadow tree stuff.

I could take the 10 from shock web and put it in fireblast, or I could take 20 cbs and 10 shock, max fire blast then put rest into shadow master?

13. Drystan

Spirit is a Ladder-only recipe, and we use Runeword mod (3rd party) to enable Ladder-only RWs. Spirit, Insight, and lots of other runewords are out.

Hell is going to take a lot of time. The game ramps up a lot from A5 NM to A1 Hell, and a lot of the weaker mobs are more dangerous. What level are you in Hell?

For LI's, you have a few options: Physical through your merc (requires items you can find in NM,) and also feed him potions. You can stun-lock some mobs using Mind Blast, and make sure you're using Cloak of Shadows as well.
    Fire Blast / Death Sentry (try get lots of corpses around the FI's.)
    Shadow, which should only be there to tank, not actually deal damage. You can pre-buff the shadow with a weapon switch, but aim for (IIRC) level 17 shadow.

My skills on Caellyn were, with 1400+ hp:

Traps
    20 to LS, DS, CBS
    17 to Fireblast

Shadow
    8 to Shadow Master (10 w/ +skills)
    1 to Burst of Speed

Damages
    Fireblast : 360-502
    Lightning Sentry : 1-1858
    Death Sentry : 1-1040

sanguillen and pharphis like this.
  14. Trapin'

I'm level 74 I believe. What gear can I find for my Merc in NM?
    And ya unfortunately no non ladder runewords.

15. Drystan

What's the damage on your Strength?

Arreat Summit items

Kelpie Snare, Hone Sundan, Pierre's, Spire of Honour
    Tal's Crest, Stealskull
    Shaftstop, Duriel's Shell, Treachery, Lionheart

Umm. Those are some other options that I used to look out for in untwinked. I'm sure there's more, but I think you could get all of them in NM easily enough. There are other alternative runewords for weapons and armours, but don't know if they're ladder only or not. Those are just easily farmable options that I used to look for in NM.

16. ioupainmax

Yeah Fire Blast is the way to go, but it will still be very slow on Players 8 Hell. Please can you update us on your latest gear (including merc)?

17. sanguillen

sanguillen Diabloii.Net Member

Good catch - I forgot that Spirit is only available through RWM.

Agree on the items above. Kelpie + Treachery to me would be ideal for the merc. Maybe socket the Kelpie with an Amn rune for some life leech, which would allow the merc to wear Guillaume's helm for the crushing blow for the bosses.

Drystan likes this.
  18. Trapin'

Ok Update:

[​IMG]

I've switch to two claws to maximize damage with 2 +3 trap claws.

Gear:
    2x +3 Trap claws
    Smoke
    Lore
    Sander's Gloves
    Nightsmoke Belt
    2x Rings with Res
    Mahim Oak Necklace
    MF boots

On switch:
    Bartucs
    +3 Shadow Discipline claws

Merc:
    I found a new weapon for him! Not sure if it's better or worse than the Partizan Strength Runeword.

Spire of Honor Lance
    Boneflesh Armor
    Rockstopper Helmet

So right now I buff myself with level 7 fade, cast level 7 SM.
    I use cloak of shadows if things get tough.

I'm still debating resetting my skills and putting some skill points from shock web into claw block (I only have 1 point into claw block, and it only goes to 2 with gear, fade, and/or fireblast.

Some questions:
    Where should I MF for Shaftstop/Duriel's armor and Weapon for Merc? I'd also love to find a Lem rune so I can make treachery for myself.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  19. Trapin'

Why would delerium be easy mode?

20. ioupainmax

Delirium
    3 Socket Helms
    Lem + Ist + Io
    1% Chance To Cast Level 50 Delirium* (morph) When Struck
    6% Chance To Cast Level 14 Mind Blast When Struck
    14% Chance To Cast Level 13 Terror When Struck
    11% Chance To Cast Level 18 Confuse On Striking
    +2 To All Skills
    +261 Defense
    +10 To Vitality
    50% Extra Gold From Monsters
    25% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
    Level 17 Attract (60 Charges)

The CTC effects means that most monsters will be either confused, knocked back/converted or running away - i.e. not attacking you. Monsters attack each other, allowing you to pick them off while staying relatively free of danger.

EDIT: You may want to save some points to put in strength and dexterity to equip better claws. Does your switch give you +4 Str before Bartucs?