Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Help me fix winxp on my laptop folks.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by jimmyboy, Mar 30, 2004.

1. jimmyboy

jimmyboy IncGamers Member

Help me fix winxp on my laptop folks.

Help. I made the mistake of installing the same winxp on both of my laptops. The first one works fine, but the second one shutted down because of the activation thing. It won't even reboot even with a dos disk in there so that I can wipe it clean and fresh install win 98.

Anyone knows how to boot up a laptop that have been de-activated by winxp?

2. Kawaii

Kawaii IncGamers Member

3. cleanupguy

cleanupguy IncGamers Member

You need to reboot with a system disk CD or need to get into the Setup of your laptop and change the order of bootable items, starting with a floppy drive if you want to use a Windows Bootable floppy disk.

Normally, you need to press either Delete (normal comps) or ESC (some motherboards) or F2 (Dell) to get into the setup mode of the PC, and then change the boot order, so that your laptop will check your floppy drive before booting up. This way, you can start with a bootable floppy disk and reformat your laptop or do whatever you need.

4. jimmyboy

In the past, the F2 was the key to get into setup mode. And it worked fine to set the order of bootup. But this time, even though the Toshiba screen said to hit F2 to get into setup mode, nothing happens when I hit it. The screen just freezes and looks straight back at me.

5. cleanupguy

You need to make sure that the keyboard on your laptop works first. Also, how far can you get on your laptop when it boots? Can you at least get to the screen where it displays the WindowsXP logo?

One way to make your comp go into the DOS mode is by using a bootable CD rather than floppy disk. You can create one using either Nero or some other burning software.

If you have a WindowsXP CD, you can boot up with the Windows XP CD and let it go through all the step until where it asks you where you want to install the Windows XP. At that point, you can delete or create any partitions and format any partitions. Partition and format the hard drive and then take out the disk and boot up again. That way you will have a blank hard drive, and the laptop will be forced to go to a C prompt.

6. jimmyboy

Keyboard works. The boot got as far as the Toshiba logo then asks for an "insert disk." I inserted a floppy and the winxp in the cd, but it would not recognize either.

Upon reboot, I force it to go into the bios. I even reconfigure the bios so that the boot would go CD-FDD-LAN-HDD. But nope, it still refuses to see either the CD or the Floppy. One odd note, the I/O failed to find a hard drive. Yikes, does this mean my HD is dead?

I'm hoping this isn't true, but that's the ony logical explation. By the way, I was running a Norton anti virus system check right before the blue screen.

7. Ezakimak

Ezakimak IncGamers Member

How long was the "duplicate" copy running on the laptop that died?
    Did you attempt to activate both copies of windows?

8. jimmyboy

The winxp that was NOT activated died.

The winxp that was activated is still working.

They both are running for about 2 weeks, no longer than 3 weeks.

Plz don't advice me to call MS.

9. jimmyboy

By the way, I've narrowed the problem down to only two possibility. Either ...

1. the HD failed, or
    2. the activation protection from win xp kicked in and Bill Gates is giving me the middle finger.

Could someowne help me ascertain which is it, and how to fix each?

10. Ezakimak

Ezakimak IncGamers Member

I would never tell you to contact MS, the most I would suggest is looking through their Kowlege base, Contacting them and saying "my copy of xp that I installed on 2 different comps isn't working, can you help me" would just be a silly thing to suggest.

Since it wasn't running for the 30 day perriod which you are allowed to run it with out activating I would have to say that it is the HDD. I know that you have already gone into the bios and mucked arround with the boot order. If you still can't get it to boot to a floppy or to a CD, try removing the HDD from the boot order completely, not just making it the last drive to check. If that still doesn't work you could try opening the case and unpluging the IDE cable from the drive and boot it with the HDD dissconected. If you can't get something different at this point, there may be some other sort of problem.

Edit: Let me know what you come up with, or anyone else here that may be more helpfull than me :) and we can try to help some more...

11. Kawaii

Kawaii IncGamers Member

When booting a computer normally lists IDE devices... HDDs, CDs etc. Does this happen? If not, your IDE cables may have been disconnected, your HDDs and/or CD may be broken, your motherboard may be partially broken, or something relating to BIOS or the IDE devices may be broken.

12. jimmyboy

Actually I was going to leave the part about the 2 laptops out when talking to a MS rep. But it can't be an activation problem, because I am running a corporate winxp that needs no activation.

The CD is ok, because it's on a dock that I am using with the other toshiba. The bios is not seeing the HD, so I have a real bad feeling about the HD.
    But if the HD went dead, the laptop would have not given the blue screen of death error warning prior to asking for a reboot. It would have just went kaput.

Also during the bootup, the laptop would refuse to boot but the HD light is on. This implies that the HD is doing something. So it's not completely dead. Anyone knows how to check to see if a laptop HD is dead?

What does the screen look like if I boot without the HD (so I know that it actually booted)?

13. cleanupguy

If you have a bad hard drive, then it would say something like "Bad Media or Media not found."

I think you have bad memory. I would recommend using memory from your working laptop and transfer them to your non-working laptop to see if it would boot up. (Edit: Forgot to mention that you need to make sure that memory from one laptop is compatible with that from another.)

When you have bad memory, you comp will not boot. And especially in Windows XP or 2000, you would get a blue screen with tiny letters all over saying something like, "error blah blah blah and Windows will now reboot." Until you switch memory, this will keep happening.

Oh, and by the way, even if you have bad memory, it CAN give you successful memory test upon booting up. You CAN have bad memory and stil pass initial memory test.

14. jimmyboy

OK guys, I want to thank everyone here for helping. Thank you Cleanupguy, Kawaii, and Ezakimak.

Solved the problem by taking Cleanupguys' idea and swaped out the hard drive from the other laptop. Did this because it was alot easier to pull a hard drive than memory, the fact that almost all laptop drives are interchangeable, and the fact that a HD is more likely to fail than memory.

Old lap with new HD worked like a charm.

Thanks guys