Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

help me find an RPG

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by nosoup4crr, May 29, 2005.

1. nosoup4crr

nosoup4crr Diabloii.Net Member

help me find an RPG

Well...summer has come around, and I find myself with some free time. I thought about starting FFVII over, but decided I want to find a new RPG. My friend lended me Xenosaga, but that was all CG. I was very bored. I'm looking for something that has a deep progression system. I love the ability to make characters as unique as possible. I'm also a fan of many characters in a game. And lastly, I haven't really played an innovative battle system. I might like to try something involving that. If any of you have any suggestions let me know. Thanks.

PS. If it's a CPU game, that would be best, but I also have a PS2.

2. Garbad_the_Weak

Garbad_the_Weak Diabloii.Net Member

You sir, need to try disgaea.

Somewhere around 100 unique classes, each class can specialize in one of about 10 unique weapons (each weapon has its own special skills). Each char can also transmigrate between classes to combine the moves from other builds and learn other special moves by creating apprenticies.

The battle system is unique, similar to FFT (the real one, before the bunnyears days). Throwing and geo symbols add a lot of strategy.

The depth of the game is hard to imagine. No one, and I mean no one, ever, in the history of gaming, has maxed this game out. Like a game like FFX, it has hidden bosses and such that are far stronger than the final boss. I am not sure exactly how many secret levels D has, but it is a ton. And with the randomly generated items and levels, you can literally play forever.

And last, the humor is great. By far the funniest game ever. It is by far the must play rpg of the last 3 years.

Garbad

3. nosoup4crr

sounds amazing. Is this multiplayer? or is a single player RPG? Also...what else do I have to look forward to in this game? What might be hard for me to take as a cut-of-the-mill FF player...who is used to that system of play?

4. Garbad_the_Weak

It is a single player rpg for ps2. Disgaea, hour of darkness. Check the reviews, you will find it gets almost perfect reviews from every site.

The game can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be. The game is harder than most RPGs, but you should be able to beat the game (one of 10 endings) without too much trouble. If you want to max out the game, you can literally play forever. I don't think anyone has fully mastered it. I have over 250 hours logged and I am not even close.

Just for the storyline and playstyle tho, you don't want to miss it.

Garbad

5. mhl12

mhl12 Diabloii.Net Member

I highly recommend these ps2 RPGs

Dark Cloud 2
    Shadow Hearts: Coventant
    Shadow Hearts
    FF-X
    FF-X2
    Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
    Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
    La Pucelle: Tactics

And some ps1 classic:

FF-IX
    Legend of Dragoon

6. bigD72

bigD72 Diabloii.Net Member

Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind*, Tribunal (PC-expansion), Bloodmoon(PC-expansion).
    Knights of the Old Republic I* and II (XBOX)

*Avliable on XBOX and PC

7. Ranger14

Ranger14 Diabloii.Net Member

Champions of Norrath. It is the first game that I have put serious time into since D2. Great graphics, sound and play. A great hack 'n' slash rpg. The sequel, Return to Arms adds two shapeshifter type of classes to the 5 classes in the original; Warrior, Ranger, Cleric, Darkknight, Wizard. You can choose between female and male. I love the busty Wizardess. :D You use the same type of skill trees as in D2. You can pick it up for the PS2 for under $20. Well worth the money!

I have been looking into Disgaea, Garbad. Looks like I may need to pick that one up in the near future.

8. bluedragoon

bluedragoon Diabloii.Net Member

champions of norrath can also be played with 1-4 players, so if u have a friend that has spare time u should try it :)

9. nosoup4crr

I've also played FFX. BUt I think my next buy will be disgaea. It sounds too good to be true. Maybe i'm a fanatic, but something that takes 250 hours sends chilly up my spine. I just went out to Best Buy, WalMart, and Game Spot. None of them had it. I guess I'll have to wait for it to come in from an online distributer. Thanks for the help guys. I hope it turns out well.

Holy crap. It's 80 dollars, haha. Maybe I should rethink this.

10. Kawaii

Kawaii Diabloii.Net Member

Fallout and Fallout 2 are games that every boy has to play before he becomes a man. Play them; you won't be disappointed.

11. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares Diabloii.Net Member

I know this sounds crazy, but listen to Garbad

12. Garbad_the_Weak

Thats the one problem with Disgaea -- its so popular no one ever trades it in and you have to pay full price. You should be able to order it on amazon or ebgames for $50 or so tho.

Also, in case anyone wants it, I have the official strategy guide in pdf...

Garbad

13. memememe173

memememe173 Diabloii.Net Member

I prefer the classics (to me anyway) BG and BG2. In fact I'm starting a new BG2 (all 6 player created, to try prestige classes) and hopefully finally completing it's Xpac (<--- made it halfway through 2-3 times, then would get distracted, or have to clear computer because of virus etc.)

14. Keldaris

Keldaris Diabloii.Net Member

Diagaea, is definitaly something you have to play. I would also suggest some classics: Ogre Battle 64, Lufia, xenogears, legend of dragoon,chrono trigger/cross. for OB and lufia you would have to find an emulator though.....

15. Damotta

Damotta Diabloii.Net Member

About Disgaea... is it better than La Pucelle Tactics? I have La Pucelle, and it gets on my nerves that practically every battle is about lining up the rows of elemental effects so they either hit or surround the enemies. I find myself spending almost the entire battle setting these up and do very little actual character combat. Does Disgaea have the same feature or is it different?

As for some GBA RPG titles to check out, I suggest these:

Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis
    Advance Wars
    Fire Emblem

They're more tactics heavy, but they still have RPG elements to them and are great games overall.

16. Garbad_the_Weak

Ya, La Pucelle was the prequel to Disgaea. D uses a new and better system called geo panels. On most levels, the panels add some tactical advantage to attacking from a spot, but not much.

The geo panels are a near critical element in the item world tho, oen of the extremely long bonus areas. You can easily beat the game without worrying about geo crap, but if you want to master it, you need to use them. Its a lot easier to use than the flows tho.

Garbad

17. Croup

Croup Diabloii.Net Member

If you haven't played Knights of the Old Republic, definitely get that. You said that you were partial to computer games, and you can pick up KOTOR for about $20 anywhere, and probably less if you looked around ebay or Amazon. It helps to be a Star Wars fan, because you'll appreciate certain things more, but it's far from a necessity.

I'm behind in the times and I haven't played KOTOR 2, but I've heard good things about that as well.

18. Twoflower

Twoflower Banned

so true, fallout is still the best RPG ever ( once you get used to the very old gfx

oh, and dont even bother about KOTOR, if u have high demands or expectations you ll be disapointed

19. Omikron8

Omikron8 Diabloii.Net Member

Might and Magic 4-8

OOOLLLDDD School

20. CyberHawk

CyberHawk Diabloii.Net Member

I 2nd this. Its a great game. And if it weren't for GuildWars taken up my time in online games..I would still be in MorrowWind.