Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Help me Decide Mfer

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by jbeast, Apr 4, 2004.

1. jbeast

jbeast Banned

Help me Decide Mfer

Alright well I'm sick of Sorcs for MF and since I want to try out a Wind Druid or a Psn/Summon Necro I think I'll make an MFer. Here's the basic gear.

Shako
    Skulders (maybe Enigma)
    Travs
    Chancies
    Rhyme Shield

That would be my MF which would be roughly 300, not including possible MF belt and some MF SCs. Plan would be 5xSkillers and rest of inventory of 7smfcs.

I'm wondering which character would be more suited and viable for running Pindle, Pits and Baal in NM/Hell. Any feedback is appreciated.

Note: The Necro would rely on skeletons and poison nova.

2. Hacker24

Hacker24 IncGamers Member

A psn nova nec runs the pit the fastest by far, but a pure skelemancer can clear the higher diff. areas better.

3. jmprockstar

jmprockstar IncGamers Member

Venomancers are more item dependent, so you'll want to place MF where it won't interfere with the most important items. You'll need Trang 3-piece, which would be the gloves, belt and shield. You'll also need a Death's Web (for immunes) and, optimally, a Bramble runeword. That leaves you space for Shako, Trav, MF ammy, and 2 Nagels. That means you should certainly ptopaz the Shako. The first item to lose on the optimal killing build would be the Bramble (to where Enigma/Skullders), but you would lose half of your poison damage.

I'm not exactly an expert, so maybe the problem I've identified isn't as important as I'm making it out. I'm working with what I've experienced playing two venomancers of my own.

4. HarbingersOfSkulls

HarbingersOfSkulls IncGamers Member

If you want a mfer...then a Summoner is your best bet.And depending on what items you have...then you could go with a hybrid. For hell baal runs, a Summoner handles that better than a hybrid though.

And a Summoner is about to have more mf then a hybrid...because it's less dependant on items compared to a hybrid.

HoS

5. SgtPPS

SgtPPS IncGamers Member

could you use full trangs to mf ? also HoS do you use fishy's "cb" to kill baal ?

currently i am using full trangs /w pdiamond in head and p.topaz in the armor and helm. 2 nagels and a gull dagger and some smfc about 278% mf.
    I whish i had the runes for a enigma but i dont think i ever will.

6. HarbingersOfSkulls

No I don't use the "cb".

I let my army do the work, and my merc has a Kelpie snare to keep baal slow(along with my Gumby and Decrep)...Only takes a few mintues.

HoS

7. Skips

Skips IncGamers Member

ok Im taking your word of the gumby decrep thing now btw HoS, soloed Diablo in a 6 player game whilst everyone else was off ****ing off or somthing. Piece of pie.

8. HarbingersOfSkulls

:drink: :buddies:

Congrats

HoS

9. SgtPPS

SgtPPS IncGamers Member

i just did a hell baal run ... wiped all of there butts except baal took forever. I use decrep / gumby and army of 10 skellies and 8 revives and might merc.
    Now my merc uses bonehew / duriels / tals helm. should i try to get a hone sundane and a guilluames helm (something like that). It took me like 5 mins to drop him or is there another trick besides me doing the "cb" ?

10. treldonis

treldonis IncGamers Member

Definitely, crushing blow quickens Baal's death. Also an upped Rattlecage helps, it's more common to find.

11. Starcrunch

Starcrunch IncGamers Member

If only it did not have that hit causes monster to flee mod...Though I still put it on my merc when I am going after Baal.

-Starcrunch

12. treldonis

treldonis IncGamers Member

True. I use it to run the table of bosses with my MF Necro. Annihilates Baal, Meph and the other superuniques within a minute tops each. The trick is that you need a high attack speed for your merc also to increase the number of instances of crushing blow.

It is annoying when running Pit but if you high CE, it doesn't really matter since blowing bodies up is indiscriminate. CE will be your main killer if you are a summoner and not your merc in the Pit.

Also, Its huge versus DClone. Takes about 2-3 minutes if you also revive some blunderbores(have crushing blow) in Act 2 palace.

13. gvandale

gvandale IncGamers Member

jbeast: HoSv1 has it right. Pure summoner will do pretty much everything quickly. Dont use mages / revives. Max skel's / mastery / ce. 1pt into clay gol / mastery / summon res. 1 each curse (except iron maiden / life tap / lower res) with exception to dim vision / decrep where i'd put 5-10 into decrep and possibly max dim vision (thanks spartacvs).

I don't advocate poison builds that aren't 100% focused on all poison damage (bramble / death's web / etc...) so I wouldn't recommend that for you.

g

14. jmprockstar

jmprockstar IncGamers Member

[Warning: Mage debate]

I use mages for their poison causing PMH and their chill factor. Some say that the chill prevents corpses, but they're overstating. They lower the number of corpses but never enough to matter. This is a real judgment call, though.

15. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Mages are pure preference. And require some skill to be used effectively.

16. HarbingersOfSkulls

I got Mad Mage skillz :drink: :buddies: ...and even Madder laggin' skillz.

HoS

17. gvandale

gvandale IncGamers Member

I am of the belief that mages are crap. PMH can be found on merc (bonehew for example, which is 100% best merc weapon).

They are a pain to manage, whilst my skele warriors just run around ripping stuff up.

G

18. Jay20016

Jay20016 IncGamers Member

To enter the Mage debate, they have their uses, and putting a skill or two in it, with a decked out MFer still can give about 7 Mages which with Skellie Mastery do stand a chance in Hell.

My numbers for minions is 13 Skellies, 7 Mages, and 13 Revives. I put a total of 4 skills into the last two (3 into mages and 1 into revive) and they can be quite a force to go against.

It really is up to preference, but if I were you, I'd do it, 3 skills isn't that much when it helps the effectiveness of MFing...

Speaking of which, I use pretty much the same setup you're planning, gear wise, and it works quite well. My final total is in the 500 range and I can do a pit run in about 6 minutes. Beating all boses and doing the Pit, Mausoleum, Tunnels, and A5 Trio takes a grand total of about 30-45 minutes giving some good returns. MF Necros truly are the way to go, I'm starting a Hammerdin, so that may change soon :)

19. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

There. Now you have all the different opinions. Now you decide.

20. k/t

k/t Banned

However, somebody in a different post said PMH doesn't work for mercs, which would make the use of mages a good idea. I only put one point in Raise Mage, but I have 7 of them due to +skills items. I have 14 skeletons and a potential of 14 revives (only one point in Revive, and max Raise Skeleton and Mastery). I always summon the full skeleton complement and then the mages...even if they're not maxed, I know they're at least doing SOMETHING. I don't know how much, exactly, but I guess it's better than nothing. And their cold and poison attacks should help the main skeleton force. I thought my Concentrate barb was the best char to take on DClone, but since he does crap damage and he only has ~1650 life after BO (how do people get to 4000???), I'm thinking that my Skellemancer would be better suited to the task (my merc has eth Rattlecage and eth Hone Sundan (70% Crushing Blow total), with Tal helm for leech, resists and life). I think I trailed off...but in such a scenario, without PMH, would cold and poison mages make a difference against DClone? i.e. stop his regeneration? Are mages really not worth anything?

Edit: I mean PMH, not PHM, oops.