Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Help me choose a PvP build.

Discussion in 'PvP' started by AtTheDriveIn, Oct 6, 2006.

1. AtTheDriveIn

AtTheDriveIn IncGamers Member

Help me choose a PvP build.

I've been playin for 5 months or so now and I've built myself up to rasing about a 30 hr budget for my next char, want to make a good pvp char actually now.

I see some people with best possible gear, inv full of 3/20/20.. and well thats just not what i want to deal with haha.

I'm just curious as to what are some of the cheapest/ most fun PvP builds

I prefer casters over melee just because of not having to deal with AR and stuff like that...

Anyhow ya, if anybody could give me the breakdown of how PvP goes like, BvC own all casters except hdin, summon necros can only pwn bowas, chargers own sorcs ect.

Im interested in making a Bowa (just made a 14/2/3/330 GMB) or a charger (made a 381 edeathz).

Thanks for your opinion guys

2. atenza

atenza Banned

If you are willing to dedicate 30 hrs to one character, you would be able to create an efficient pvp char. IMO, it is better to focus your wealth on one or two characters that you plan on playing instead of having a bunch of different ones that aren't as well-equipped (ofc this only applies to poorer folk). Let me start by ruling out some pvp builds.

Sorcs are an absolute no-no for the poor. The most effective sorcs will require top notch amulets/rings/circlets which you can afford, BUT sorcs depend on LIFE SKILLERS the most out of any class (mainly because of ES). Although you could make a non-es sorc =P.

Characters that can get the job done w/o life skillers include most melee classes, hammerdins, bone necros, trappers. However, a major problem with most melee buids is that as you said, they require lots of AR. But they also need a lot of gear switching (going from melee to caster gear etc). Not to mention when you melee vs. melee duels, sometimes it is less about skill then equipment. Say you make a BvB or a smiter, when you duel other characters of your same class often time equipment will make too much of a difference.

This is why someone with say 30 high runes should concentrate on a class that can still be powerful without expensive charms and that can rely more on skill that equipment (aka hitting the other player more times despite having say only 75% of their life). The best choices for you would either be a hammerdin, bone necro, or trapper.

Advantages:
    Hammerdin - Cannot be absorbed, you get to desynch, massive damage using relatively cheaper gear, you don't need more than 2 or 3 pcombats for good damage (you can survive using just plain vita scs and what not), you can SORB w/o sacrificing much gear.

BoneNecro - Cannot be sorbed, you can range and IBS, life skillers help.. but if you play right you shouldn't be getting hit anyways. You can also sorb with this build... albeit not as effectively as hammerdin. However with being a longer distance ranged char, you take less hits than most other classes would and that helps if you don't have +life charms.

Trapper - Playing right you won't get hit at all and your damage output won't be much difference then someone with 100 hrs and you only have 30. My personal favorite would be the trapper out of these three.. they appear less often than hdins and necros. Can pvm better than the necro, and makes for a GfG team pk'er.If you'r enoob with trapper you'll still do half-decent as opposed to the hdin. If you're pro then you shouldn't have much to worry about except for SORBERS (that is the only glaring weakness of this build)

I wouldn't suggest making a hybrid sin as that requires more $$ and has a billion fricking hotkeys.

Zons need +dmg or poison charms.. but if you pull it off are great support killers or can do a lil on their own. Chargers are great for fun kills but against anyone with block and high dmg (aka most chars) they will miss and then die.. however charge/smiter is nbad.

3. DIEnamic

DIEnamic IncGamers Member

personally, I think the best pvp char you can possibly make would be a bvc. if he's your dedicated pvper, you just build him with some space for improvements so that you can upgrade as you gain wealth.

but since you prefer caster to melee because of AR, make a v/t. since smite is cheap and doesnt require AR, but you can also hang back and drop the foh on them.

the desync hdin suggestion is also very good. a skilled desync is a nightmare to go against, and if you master how to play desync well you will be unbeatable. its relatively cheap to make too.

bowazon is a nice choice but VERY reliant on charms. you can get a basic one started and add charms as you go. only problem is that with the over abundance of smiters, you can't expect to win all the time.

4. AtTheDriveIn

AtTheDriveIn IncGamers Member

Thanks for the advice guys, Im leanings towards the Trapper

How are auradins?

5. Bladewind

Bladewind IncGamers Member

Auradins are for the really rich players. PvP auradins do not like to be sorbed (dual dream + hoj/dragon combo for better effect) or have their Conviction aura overriden so obsessive +skills in Offensive auras is common.

Auradins are not extremely powerful in the PvP department due to sorb, but you can still walk into a pub game and toast someone who isn't careful. Of course due to the nature of Auradins, people are gonna whine about Nking. :laugh:

As for bowers, they are EXTREMELY RELIANT on gg gear and charms. Stuff like Jeweller's Tiara of the Whale/Inertia with 40/15s. That can cost up to 100Hrs and that is just the helm.....

6. Uchiha Sasuke

Uchiha Sasuke Banned

Go for a fb sorc! Cheap, godly, no more questions.

7. emar

emar IncGamers Member

I personally love Auradins and IMO they are extremely powerful PVPers - I retired my BVC and Ele Druid for one :rolleyes: (they are still geared of course, but rarely do I duel with them)

The Auradins are certainly very viable, but as mentionned can be expensive. Not drastically so though - I spent about ~30 HRs in gear, no charms included in that. Comparatively, that's not bad. It may be tight with your budget though.

It is a blast to play in games with a different char. Pubs are often overrun with Hammers, Smiters, FCers, and so on. You surprise many folks.

I have only ever been successfully 'sorbed once by a character. Only once, so absorb is certainly not a problem.

They are particularly powerful against many casters/assns and zons. Barbs can pose a problem due to some nice life - and that you need to enter melee range. Melee duels can be more difficult OFC.

It can be an especially challenging character if you don't run around like a pansy and newb kill - which is why people call Auradins crappy/cheap. If you duel by attacking and with strategy it is a lot of fun.

In order to cover your back in all situations, it is advisable to have a bit of stash gear. Gear switching deters some people - so if that isn't your game...(you only really need to gear switch less than 5% of the time).

It is a blast of a build, but most don't duel with it in a melee/attacking sense.

With your choices:
    The major weakness with a trapper is that you can be absorbed, and I can assure you - you will be by some. You need to have a solid back-up for those situations (bombing perhaps).

I would say no to a Hammerdin though just on the principle. Bnet is overrun with Hammerdins - mix it up folks - it ain't the only viable PvPer :)

8. IMCanadian

IMCanadian IncGamers Member

Auradins are great..and not overly expensive. All the builds listed above other that that are pretty much ez. Auradin is insanely annoying since they desync...lower res and the skill automaticly hits you, making the clock tick. You are rarely successfully sorbed. Especially in a pub game where everyone is goin at it. You can ezily clear one. I use foh/hfire(daydreamer:grin:), I find it takes a tiny bit more skill to play then a plain auradin, since you have to move and strategically place fohs at rite times, but using foh n holy fire, itis very hard to succesfully sorb. I have trouble with only bonemancers using pris (most of them:grin:), other fohers/auradins (since they are full build of which I am not, they usually own me), and...I thought there was something else, but maybe not.

Anywayz, the main problems with the builds above are: Hammerdins are not the best dueler as some think. Desyncers are harder then tele for sure, but using a auradin vs them theyre done. My wolf just shift/fury n wait for them to run into you, sorcs just out tele them. This all comes with being a smart player also. For trappers...they are just too ez to negate. Anything can stack 85 light res and your set, throw on wisps and negated. I never lose to trappers, also charge outruns there traps, you can go through the middle of them:grin:. Bonemancer is great vs melee since pris slows you down a ton, but not so vs somehthing fast teleing like a sorc. No build is gona own everything, but since there are so many hdins, boners and trappers, ppl have learned well how to negate them. Auradins havent been around in a while and ppl are suprised again, especially when you throw a foh on em while aura kills

IMC :grin:

9. Apophis

Apophis Banned

i'd choose a foh-er ,for 30 hrs.you can take all the gear i think. the foh-er rocks

10. matchuk

matchuk IncGamers Member

hammerdin cheap and efficient, even 8-9k dmg hammers is enuff to dominate pvp with some desync and telestomp

11. atenza

atenza Banned

cold/light is hard to resist.

But fire/lighting is pretty easy. Wisps, tgods, hotspurs, nokozan, wizspike, res from other gear etc. You only need an extra 125 res vs. a daydreamer because they won't have any extra gear slots for -res except their helm. Not to mention that foh is a slow skill and you won't get many 1 hit ko's with them meaning that a trapper could keep you down. I don't think a daydreamer could handle paladins who can res/charge, windies, necs, etc. . They are also very expensive... the gear itself is cheap. But you're gonna nee d 9x pcombats to boost that dmg. On my realm pcombats = 4 highrunes... which equals to 36 highrunes for just pcombats alone.

12. emar

emar IncGamers Member

True, true Fire/lightning can be easy to resist. But honestly would you be able to effectively replace your Boots, Ammy, Rings, Belt, and Weapon to negate a FoH/HFire player. I laugh at any person who does. You are taking huge sacrifices to put on that kind of gear - HUGE sacrifices.

I have stashed gear on my charging auradin that is used to take on any moron that dumps all their gear into stack/sorb. A player that uses FoH as their main attack should be able to address that inherent weakness and be prepared.

While I am a melee auradin player - I see some strengths in the FoH idea. The ability to range allows you fight more safely Barbs and Pallys to start. But also allows to hit recover folks. But you are right on the weakness versus Windies.

I wouldn't say the gear itself is very cheap. A good setup would involve 2os CoA and a 4os white pally hammer with + FoH/Conviction/XX. Can be hard to come by.