Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

help me build my hydra/orb sorceress?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by ksdurg, Sep 8, 2006.

1. ksdurg

ksdurg IncGamers Member

help me build my hydra/orb sorceress?

Hi, I'm basically new to the game. I've played before, but never mastered it or became uber, etc.

I like the play of a sorc. with hydra and orb, so that's going to be my main two weapons.

So far I'm lvl 44, in act 1 NM, and have put my skills into the following (rough estimate):
    warmth 4
    hydra 4
    FM 3
    Orb 3
    CM 2
    and basically 1 pt in skills going up the tree (or however you describe that)

iyho, where should I distribute my points as I lvl up (oh, I have 7 extra skills pts right now)?
    How high should I take warmth? 6?
    max out hydra, FM, orb, CM to 20 each?
    Any other skills I should check out once I finish maxing out?

2. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Hi,
    I would suggest to max skills in this order:

20 Frozen Orb
    20 Hydra
    20 Fireball
    20 Firebolt
    1-x Fire Mastery
    1-x Cold Mastery

Frozen Orb will be easily powerful with just a few points in Cold Mastery

Hydra needs all the synergies it can get to become more powerful so you should max Firebolt and Fireball and lastly all remaining points into Fire Mastery. Do not put any more points into warmth. Those are pretty wasted. Give your Merc an Insight runeword or buy mana potions and you will have enough Mana. Later you will get items that will provide you with more Mana.

The stat points are better invested in str, dex and of course vitality. str for your char to wear gear. dex if you go max-block route, or also for some gear and all the rest of the points should go into vitality.

Frozen Orb/Hydra Sorceress is very fun to play :)

3. Grumpy Old Wizard

Grumpy Old Wizard IncGamers Member

A mid range Orb remains powerful enough through early hell.

You may want to take orb to about level 10 and then max hydra, fireball, and firebolt. Then max (or at least take it to level 20 after skills) Orb and take CM to level 17 after skills. Then pump fire mastery.

That's what I did for my level 89 hydra-orb sorc an my recent ladder restart. She is fun to play and can solo anywheres in hell.

I went base energy and max block with Whison's Guard and have a defiance merc.

4. ksdurg

ksdurg IncGamers Member

Melianor:
    What does "1-x Cold Mastery" mean? Does that mean to raise it last with whatever skill pts I have left over?

You say put pts into str, dex, and vitality, but I've been putting 2 into Energy, and splitting 3 pts between str and Vit (for every lvl). Your example has me putting no pts into Energy?

A higher Dex increases my chances of blocking w/ a shield? I'm pretty sure I haven't raised Dex at all. So how does blocking work in D2x?

Grumpy Old Wizard:
    I went base energy and max block with Whison's Guard and have a defiance merc.

Can you explain that statement for me? What do you mean by "base energy"? For max block with Whison's Guard are you advising me to put more pts into Dex?

What is a defiance merc? And what merc is best? I currently have my rouge from Act1 Normal and she's doing great. Gave her a bow with 2 pEmeralds (with one socket left over) and some other gear. Will I get better results with a different merc?

Thanks for you time and input, much appreciated. I'll do more research tonight, but I have to scoot off to work right now. :tongue:

5. ioupainmax

ioupainmax IncGamers Site Pal

1-x cold mastery means thats its going to vary (x = variable) ideally you want to get to lvl 17 CM with boni from items. the reason it varies is because you need to split the points between fire mastery and cold mastery to strike a balance with your items and your play style.

most of the items a sorceress wears give mana and therefore it is more prudent to spend stat points in str, dex and vitality. Because the sorceress gets a raw deal on points spent in vitality a lot of people suggest getting max block as you effectively quadruple your vitality if you get hit 1/4 of the time. i myself am on the fence about block especially in 1.11. before that, it worked rathr well but i have noticed block doesn't seem to be as good in this patch.

a defiance merc is an act2 defensive merc hired in normal or hell difficulty. it gives u the defiance aura which increases your defence. imho i don't think defiance is very good for a sorceress, i would go with either a prayer merc(act2 combat normal or hell) or a holy freeze merc (act2 defensive nightmare)

6. Grumpy Old Wizard

Grumpy Old Wizard IncGamers Member

Base energy means no points in energy. It is a little trying when you are just starting off but when your sorceress levels some and expecially if you use the Insight runeword (all cheap, common runes) you will have enough mana without investing energy.

Use saphires and Tirs in the early going to help your mana problems and drink a lot of potions.

I prefer max block over going all vitality. Max block helps you against ranged attacks (archers), helps you if you get swarmed, helps you during lag spikes. The Whiston's Guard shield is the shield from the Orphan's set. You should be able to trade 1 perfect gem for one if someone will not give you one and you have trouble finding one. They are not uncommon and are the best blocking shield in the game (you won't have to invest in dex as much for max block.)

A defiance merc is a merc that uses the defiance aura(defense boosting aura.) If you want one hire a defensive mercenary in act2 normal. I prefer this type of merc on all of my casters. He seems to me to be the best tank and he boosts my defense as well.

If for example you wear the TalRasha set and use a defiance merc your defense will be 6000 or so. Going max block too gives you a big safety factor.

A rogue is not a good merc for a sorceress. You need a melee fighter to help keep the varmits off of you.

7. ksdurg

ksdurg IncGamers Member

Thanks for the advice fellas. :smiley:

Insight sounds like a great runeword for sorcs.

Are Defiance mercs only hireable in Normal and Hell? I guess I'd go back to normal and do my best to lvl up a normal merc.

I like my rouge, she kicks ***. She was outkilling me until I reached lvl 30. If it wasn't for Orb she'd still be outkilling me, but I definitely see your point about using a tank. I guess I either need to keep my finger on the Shift key or spend lots of gold on ressurecting (no biggie, I'm maxed out on gold).

I saw some other runewords I'd like to get in the future:
    Prudence (armor) looks good (all resist +25-35%, +140-170% def, dmg reduced by 3, magic dmg by 17)
    Radiance (helm) as well:(+75% def, +30% vs missile, dmg reduced by 7, magic dmg by 3)

Not sure about a shield, other than Whitstan's. Maybe Sanctuary (+20% block, +130-160% def, +250% vs missile, all resist +50-70%, magic dmg by 7)

Why are there no runewords specifically for sorceress orbs?
    Can you guys recommend a good orb?