Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Help make my MF Barb better! (gear related)

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by neurro, May 18, 2005.

1. neurro

neurro IncGamers Member

Help make my MF Barb better! (gear related)

Hello all, I'm sitting on a hefty load of runes (none higher than ist though), and am trying to make my barb better than he is now. Here's a summary of him for you:

Full IK Set (38mf helm with 2ptopazes, armor socketed with ptopaz)
    Perfect Ravenfrost Ring
    Perfect Nagel Ring
    35mf magic amulet
    2 AliBabas on switch (alt Heart Carver)
    38Gheeds Charm
    Couple 7mf SCs

MAX WW
    MAX Mace Mastery
    MAX Battle Orders
    MAX Shout
    13 Find Item
    8 Concentrate

He's level 89 with a 89 Might Merc (Reapers Toll, Skullders, Steelhelm)

Now, I'm trying to make him even better than he is, while holding a respectable MF (he has 422mf now +150 merc mf). What gear would you recommend I upgrade to? If it breaks the IK bonuses, it should make me as good or better than I am now.

Any help appreciated!

2. sorcyone

sorcyone Banned

Both WW and Concentrate seem a waste. You should get a 40mf IK helm. They are quite cheap. I don't see where you get the 422 mf from. I only see +198MF on those items, unless you count the Ali's.
    See my MF Barb build for ideas. You will easily get another 200MF. You could switch to dual wield eth Oath Scourge since you already have the mastery.

http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=344878

3. neurro

neurro IncGamers Member

Ok, I made this thread for suggestions on gear to make my Barb better, not to criticize my build and make bad observations on MFing a barb.

The 8 in concentrate is for boss killing. Mephisto you can't life/mana leech from, and Baal has too many hitpoints with IK set and unless you want to gulp blues, you run out of mana a lot. And yes, you count the Alis, since the whole point of a MF Barb with IK set is to have MF on switch before the kill. You sliver the boss/super unique down and then switch and finish him off. Seriously, you have a guide out on MFing a barb, shouldn't you know this?

Also, getting another IK helm just for 2% is a waste. Lets look at my MF for further observation.

Armor - 24mf
    Helm - 85mf
    Boots - 25mf
    Nagel - 30mf
    Amulet - 35mf
    Gheeds - 38mf

All the above I listed clearly in my original post. This adds up to 237mf. Don't know how you got 198. Now lets add in the exact small charm bonus and then ali babas on switch.

scs - 21mf
    2x Ali Babas - 178mf

The grand MF total is 436mf on a switch kill.

I don't mean to sound annoyed, well actually I do. You criticized my build, made bad observations on MFing a barb, and offered no advice towards the TOPIC of my post aside from a couple eth weapons. If you had at least offered some good points or actual intelligent data, but had still not answered my topic, I would of said thank you for the input. Instead, I offer the above in contradiction and explanation of your post.

Can someone please offer gear advice to upgrade to from IK? :)

EDIT: I just read through your guide, and it is very similar to my own build, aside from having ali's on switch instead of echoings. I still disagree with you on concentrate, and many of my other points, but I do apologize for implying that you had bad barb MF information. Our builds are similar yet different, and both I believe are viable. I think I will be taking your advice on the oath eth scourges, but other than that I still need to get out of this IK gear and into something better.

4. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

Hey ya i tend to Concentrate a lot with my WW mf barb for boss kills as sometimes i run out of mana WWing Memp/Baal :( Ok IK weapon with the entire set comes to up to 40%cb/ele dmg which is good for boss kills but there is one particular set up that could have higher cb that i could think of. Since you have mace mastery maxed and depending on how high you could tweak your dex up consider the uniq scourge : Stormlash. It has 33%cb, 30ias and lvl 10 static! It already hits lwwp and for less ias from gear you could shael it for concentrating too :p This, Duress armor, goreriders and 10cb gloves gives you 73%cb and static (only triggered when u swing attack) but you'd lose mf and prolly slap on a ptopaz shako? Maybe a SS for dr? About slivering bosses then switching to alis - yes thats a classic tactic and is mentioned in guides from earlier patches notably Flux's Mf Baba guide which was THE GUIDE back then for mf barbs :p In that guide he advocated a minimum 60%block in hell for 1h/sheild and many of his advice holds true to this day i feel. What i did when going for killing blow using concentrate is to equip my high ed upped ali on my attacking hand as non upped alis aren't too hot in dmg :( My mf barb uses sword/shield and for boss kill he concentrates till Life Tap triggers ( i use dracs) then me and merc WW/jab at him all day until i run out of mana then Concentrate hehe Think IK Set requires high str/low dex so if you wish to eek out more i'd have to go with a Highlord's ammy and lose some mf but gain 30%+ deadly strike and perhaps get some cheap max/ar charms and such. Cheers!

5. sorcyone

sorcyone Banned

IK set is an excellent set. It's just a bit short on MF for an MF barb. Also I think dual wielding does considerably more damage. 1.10 enhanced dual wielding considerably.
    I take your point on concentrate for Baal. The Mana burn is a pain. I keep 2 columns of super manas when killing Baal. This lets me WW constantly. 8 potions is always enough for me. Points in concentrate only add 5% damage (the 10% defense is not noticeable on top of 400% from shout and level 1 Concentrate of 100%). Compare Bezerk adds 15% damage per point.
    Finally I find Baal pretty poor on both exp and drops so I only kill him for SC and GC for cubing or runes, all of which are unaffected by MF. I don't really find any other situations where killing on switch is worthwhile since I have no Engima for teleporting to Meph or Andy, so I prefer the +6 to warcries on switch which also enhances horking and Battle Cry. Do you hork Baals Minions ? There is a trick there to leave 1 alive while you do it or Baal clears the corpses.

As I mention in my guide, upped Skullders and Chance Guards will increase your MF considerably.
    It would be easier for ppl to be more specific if you could tell us a bit more such as whether you are ladder, non-ladder or SP, your stats (which will restrict what you can equip), and perhaps your other available equipment. What is this steelhelm on your merc? Is this Stealskull ?

Otherwise we are forced to generalise and point you to guides.

Do not be afraid to rebuild your barb to accommodate different equipment.

6. neurro

neurro IncGamers Member

Stealskull, yes.

My stats are as your guide suggested. I believe I have 187base str (to equip all IK with glove bonus included), base dex, base energy and the rest in vitality.

I agree with you that I think dual wielding would be better damage. IK is a great set, sure, but I feel I don't kill quickly enough, I think this is my main problem I"m seeing, but getting rid of the maul breaks the great bonuses IK gives, so I would need to up my entire setup.

7. sorcyone

sorcyone Banned

Yes in terms of raw damage dual wield Oath would do about twice the damage. The Crushing blow is all the IK weapon has going for it. You can get this from Guilliames face. Unfortunately Scourge (either unique or runeword) is your only practical alternative to IK with Mace mastery and your stats. When I say unfortunate I mean because the damage is not that high compared to the swords and axes. For dual Oath Scourge you will need 67 dex, of which you can get 20 from Arreats and 20 from Raven, the remaining 7 from max+dex charm or Annihilis sc. A perfect Oath eth Scourge will get 272 average damage - about the same as IK Maul (a perfect eth Oath Ettin Axe does 325 - thats a lot for 1 handed!). With dual wield the first hit check only 1 weapon hits, thereafter both hit, so you do long whirls. This works nicely with PMH on Oath. So you should end up doing nearly twice the damage compared to IK.
    Now to be realistic it will not be easy to get 2 good weapons for dual wielding. I had to make my builds around my weapons. I started with 1 weapon. When I got my second axe I realised the points in dex for blocking were a complete waste, so I rebuilt from scratch with base dex.
    My point is you might need to get your weapons, then build around them.
    Dual wielding is certainly the way to go for damage. In 1.09 you only got 50% more hits. Now in 1.10 it is almost double. This also means double the hit effects like Crushing Blow. 40% on a single weapon is as good as 20% dual wielding. This is one reason I recommend gore over War traveler.

I recently built a max dex WF zon and was very disappointed. I actually found my barb killed nearly as fast, but with no danger and with huge MF, life and resists and Gold find. So my barb now is my main MF character. I do travincal runs constantly. I can do 1 every 2 minutes.