Help! I'm a terrible summoner!

Lucavious

Diabloii.Net Member
Help! I'm a terrible summoner!

So I decided to max out Bear and wolves for a summoning build, thinking hopefully my bear would be strong enough at one point to solo hell Uniques in Act 5.

Well I'm level 60 now with maxed out summons, and I'm doing terrible in Hell. My bear spends about 20 seconds taking out a single zombie in Act 1.

Is there something I need to do to get the ball rolling on damage? I'm wearing about +2 skill equipment and I know I could climb to 80, but I'm not sure it would make my summons any stronger.

Should I just roll a Sorc with everyone else? :(

KellKheraptis

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Help! I'm a terrible summoner!

So I decided to max out Bear and wolves for a summoning build, thinking hopefully my bear would be strong enough at one point to solo hell Uniques in Act 5.

Well I'm level 60 now with maxed out summons, and I'm doing terrible in Hell. My bear spends about 20 seconds taking out a single zombie in Act 1.

Is there something I need to do to get the ball rolling on damage? I'm wearing about +2 skill equipment and I know I could climb to 80, but I'm not sure it would make my summons any stronger.

Being able to Shockwave will do wonders for keeping you and your pets alive. Also, +skills REALLY helps. The Town Dump Werebear is a really good hybrid to look into.

lumpor

Diabloii.Net Member

Remember that the synergies from the summons are boosted by +skills. So +1 to summoning skills boosts the bears health, and his damage from his own synergy, and life from dire wolves, and ar from spirit wolves. And the same thing happens to dires too. For general pvm use dire wolves are probably better than the grizzly.

Reticent Drappa

Diabloii.Net Member

If you aren't using HoW it helps as well ; )
I tend to use grizzly for tanking stronger mosters (ie champions, uniques, bosses), and wolves for the general pvm, as they are faster and will attack multiple targets.
As Kell mentioned, shockwave helps ALOT. You would not need to waste many points to get it, and you will get a life bonus from bear as well.
What merc do you use? Act 2 holy freeze is good for the slow, but I'd also like to mention act 2 might aura.

NO~!

Lucavious

Diabloii.Net Member

Well I added some +skill equipment, for the moment I have altogether about +5 to all skills and my bear/wolves still get destroyed in Hell Pit. I'm trying to decide whether or not I should continue to work on my summon Druid.

I took your advice and added some points to Shockwave, and it does help survivability tremendously. The problem though is it still takes far too much time and effort to kill these enemies (it takes maybe a minute to clear out a group of normal monsters in Hell Pit).

How much +skill am I going to need to make this build viable? Or is it really just not a viable Hell build?

Verashiden

Diabloii.Net Member

At least +10 for a pure Summoner. I prefer Huntermentalists though so eh >.>

trafalgar-zero

Diabloii.Net Member

From my experience and I'm sure you've noticed the same thing. Dire Wolves are for wide open areas with numerous monsters. Grizzly is useful in tight areas like Maggots Lair or Flayer Dungeon. Shockwave is very useful. With my Shock-Summoner the only monsters that even get a chance to hit my summons are Champions, Uniques, (which take more time to stun), Bosses , and of course the Hell abundant ranged (until I get to them).
I play Hardcore Ladder so a skill that immobilizes the enemy is great it lets my summons, merc, and I avoid tremendous amounts of damage. If you have to keep re summoning then they are not doing damage.
Now that brings me to damage. Heart of the Wolverine and a Might Mercenary are a must. Holy Freeze is okay, but the occasional shatter keeps the Dire Wolves from eating the corpse and getting Frenzied. I'd like to see your skills you have invested in so far.

"So I decided to max out Bear and wolves for a summoning build, thinking hopefully my bear would be strong enough at one point to solo hell Uniques in Act 5."
I'm a little confused by this statement, so please list your skills and I'm sure we can solve your problem.

Your Friendly [EHCL] Shock-Summoner Trafalgar

AgentMarth

Diabloii.Net Member

Being level 60 in Hell also means that your minions (being the same level as you when summoned IIRC) have a bit of AR issues, so alot of the times, they can miss. More misses means less damage done over time leading to something taking a long time to die, or regenerating in the middle of attacks.

Try leveling to 70-75 at least first, then get a good amount of plus skills, and try again.

Lucavious

Diabloii.Net Member

Update: Here are my skills:

20+ Spirit Wolves
20+ Dire Wolves
20+ Bear
10+ Heart of the Wolverine
10+ Shockwave
1+ Bear Shapeshift
4+ Lycanthropy

I'm using a Might Mercenary with Tal's Helm and some decent CB.

I currently have +7 Summons between all of my gear and I switch to a Gull dagger after summoning everything. Is that a problem?

I can run Pits right now, albeit very slowly.

Omikron8

Diabloii.Net Member

summon druids are all about damage so HoW should have been maxed after dire wolves and bear

they are extremly dependent on mountains of +skill items, like dual spirit items, +2 helm, +3 ammy and an inventory full of summon skill charms and a druid torch

adding in a damage aura item like pride helps a lot but that isn't feasable in the new ladder yet

Zelator

Diabloii.Net Member

10 Shockwave? You could have gotten with max 5 points IMO.. those 5 other points could have been placed in HoW^^

Gear plx

KellKheraptis

Diabloii.Net Member

Quick question: Do my summons lose effectiveness when I switch weapons? I usually summon them all out and then switch to Gull for MFing.

Gear:

- Jamals Helm
- +2 Druid Club
- Sigons Shield
- Tal Rashas Belt
- +1 Druid Skill Amulet
- Nagel Ring
- +13 MF Ring
- Aldurs Boots
- 23 MF Gloves
- +1 Summons GC
Summons stay at the level they're summoned at IIRC, that goes back as far as Gharbad's Shaman/Dogcatcher build.

Lucavious

Diabloii.Net Member

Quick question: Do my summons lose effectiveness when I switch weapons? I usually summon them all out and then switch to Gull for MFing.

Gear:

- Jamals Helm
- +2 Druid Club
- Sigons Shield
- Tal Rashas Belt
- +1 Druid Skill Amulet
- Nagel Ring
- +13 MF Ring
- Aldurs Boots
- 23 MF Gloves
- +1 Summons GC

Verashiden

Diabloii.Net Member

Summons remain at the level they were summoned at. Summoning than switching gear will not effect their level.