Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Help for a new player!

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Vaelos, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Vaelos

Vaelos IncGamers Member

Help for a new player!

I recently reinstalled Diablo2 (Non-Expansion) and started playing on USEast -I've got a level 27 Barbarian, who has beaten Normal Mode solo and have been leveling a 14 Sorc. I'm not very happy with either character, and seeing as how I don't have all the uber gear a lot of builds seem to require, I've been hesitant to do anything different. I don't like PvP, but I want a solid PvM character that I can level quickly, solo or grouped in order to farm sets/uniques/etc for future characters.

Basically any and all suggestions for a good PvM character that isn't dependant on uber gear and can level solo AND grouped - links welcome - I've been researching a lot of the guides out there, but seeing as how my highest character yet is 27, a lot of the information has no relevance to me.

Also, any leveling advice would be welcome! I've been leveling fine just doing the quests, but I'm sure there's an easier/faster way.

Thanks in advance!

2. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

Don't feel that you need all the best gear to have a viable character -- that is a myth. On the other hand, you can certainly better your equipment by using the trading forums on this site to find yourself some better endgame gear when the time comes. Runes -- and to some extent PGems -- are the currency these days; so save up and learn the trade values.

Zookeeper Necros (or Skellie-mancers as they seem to be called these days) can be excellent item farmers since you can pile the MF on and still be safe thanks to your huge army -- even in hell difficulty. They are solid killers these days too and work well in both group and solo situations. Your only real gear needs are plus skill items. Cursing/Summoning GC's and maybe a Homunculous (socketed for more resists or more MF, your choice). All of it is dirt cheap to trade for.

3. Burnt_toasty

Burnt_toasty IncGamers Member

You stated re-installed so you are new to the game or not?

Only asking cause these are conceptual questions.

1) you dont like your characters. Lets see, perhaps you dont think they are fun because you never go past level 30? I mean most characters get really fun at level 50-70. Thats because level 30 is the last requirement for your most powerful skills. Your basically saying you'd pay to see a movie and wear sunglassses. you are only hurting yourself by not going past 30.

2) Is there an easier way to level? Sure is, read the guides. And if your lazy then theres really nothing anyone can do.

3) Uber gear? Thats a conceptual question. You realize that the only reason people need uber gear is because of hell right? Well if you enver take a character over level 30 why even care? Heck all those items have high level requirements. You can play the game and have extreme fun staying in nightmare mode. Nightmare mode is recommended level 35-70. Heck normal is 1-35. Maybe if you get a character in that range then you worry but now seems funny.

Once again read the guides. They all contain dozens apon dozens of gear selections for all levels. Most of that gear is easy to find and cheap to get. PGEMS low runes can afford them. And by jsut playing the game they often jsut drop.

I like to tell people who complain taht this game is like an investment that doesnt go bad. The more you put in, the more fun you get out of it.

My strongest advice, get a character, push him to level 50s then come back and ask questions like these. Why? Cause nothign we say will make much sense, yourasking a conceptual question. Akin to asking what flavor icecream should you get and never trying them out for yourself.

4. Vaelos

Vaelos IncGamers Member

New to 1.10 and Battle.net, I should say...and to clarify, I'm not unhappy with my characters per-say, I'm unhappy with the direction their tech trees have gone - My Barbarian has 20 sword, 1 point in a lot, and I'm starting to build up battle orders...but he goes through potions like mad, and dies a lot.

Which is why I was thinking of rerolling with a more clear vision of what my points need to be doing (stat points included), while still avoiding the need for "end game" gear that I have no way of getting.

5. spaker_man

spaker_man IncGamers Member

Try Playing a Hammerdin. Simple to play, concentrate on plus to mana gear at low levels. You won't be leeching so some "mana/life after each kill" is a decent mod to look for on items. Pump up hammer and concentrate at first then move to synergies. these are a lot of fun to play but they are not for everyone. however, they can be very effective MFers. With a defiance merc using high defense armor to tank for you in normal you will have time to spam hammers. And nothing is immune to you later in the game.

this char is my preference since the patch but not everyone likes them. There's an excellent guide at the top of the paly forum if you like guides ... but I suggest just good old trial and error.

good luck

6. Jomero

Jomero IncGamers Member

Just wanted to correct this statement. Zookeepers are necros who summon everything and their dog. They have skeleton warriors, skeleton mages, a golem, and as many revives as possible.

Skelemancers are a necro build that focuses primarily on skeleton warriors. This build rarely (if ever) needs to summon anything but warriors. I never use revives, even in hell. The only time I summon a golem is when fighting an act boss (clay golems slow them down, and decrepify makes them come to a crawl) and the only time I'll use mages is if I run into a really stubborn physical immune.

But yes, skelemancers are definitely a good build. They are dependent on +skills items though to be super effective. But even so, they are quite good.

But I also agree that having the best gear is the only way to survive. Your barbarian is only level 27? Level him up some more. The higher level you get, the better stuff you find. Even shops sell equipment to you based on your level. If you find a great item that you can't use or don't want, odds are someone else out there will want it and you can trade for something you may like.

My advice is, find a class that is fun to play. To me, the "uber classes" aren't fun for me to play. My favorite class is a zealot paladin. They are by far not the fastest killing machines, but I sure like them.

7. fishman

fishman IncGamers Member

Now you're talking. Scrap you weak characters and consider them a learning experience. Read the build guides and pick one that looks like fun. I've done that twice now. It's amazing how much better your characters are without a few wasted skill points. If you have 1 point in a lot, your build may get you through normal, but you'll get creamed as soon as you start nightmare...then you really feel like you wasted your time.

8. Vaelos

Vaelos IncGamers Member

Exactly the way I feel with my barb. I've been leveling my sorc, who is level 30 now. Full glacial spike and warmth at the moment, thinking of either a synergy for glacial or cold mastery next. I've been soloing in the river of flame, and have avoided killing Diablo till I get higher.

Leveling has slowed down, so I was wondering if this could be a build to take into Nightmare sometime soon?

9. DMPI_Masher

DMPI_Masher IncGamers Member

You began this thread saying you play solo on East. Ever concider playing Single Player off the realms? Most people are converting to SP and you can find a lot of usefull informaion and find friendly people on the single player forum.

Check into the ATMA muling program you may decide realm play isn't what it's cracked up to be.

As far as your level 30 sorc with max warmth and glacial spike. If you want to go with single element sorc play you should do ok through NM by maxing blizzard and cold mastery next. I wouldn't have maxed warmth...3-5 points max and have + skill items to bump it up further. Looks like you'll have trouble with Cold immunes though.

Good luck!! :howdy: