Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Help fine tune my Hammerdin

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by gblan, Mar 17, 2004.

1. gblan

gblan IncGamers Member

Help fine tune my Hammerdin

Hi all Hammerdin experts. I have built my first ever Hammerdin and at level 86 I am fairly pleased. I have room for tweaking though I know but don't know exactly how to proceed so I'm asking for advice. Here's my Pally, Knkerspal:
    Delirium...+2
    Mara's...+2
    Enigma...+2
    HoZ...+2all/+2combat
    Arachnid...+1
    Anni...+1
    Wizspike
    Lava Gout
    War Travs
    Carrion Wind and Raven Frost rings

Hammers, BA, Vigor, Concentraton maxed. (30/32 with +skills gear.)
    Hammer damage is 8196 and while that seems nice (it is) I know it can get much higher. What's the best way to get up a bit? I can afford two BK rings so yes to that question. That'll help. What else though? I would like to realistically see 10-11k. I can change any gear to meet the need.
    On another note what should I be doing with FCR%? Wizspike gives me the 50% breakpoint. Arachnid Mesh gives another 20% leaving me short of the necessary 75%. Will the 75% really make a big enough difference to worry about or should I be happy with 50%? I know I can easily get to 75% with a ring but all the FCR rings are kind of junky and I'd really miss the mods on Carrion/Raven. Is the correct answer screw the mods go for the FCR? I don't know what to do!
    Glad to provide additional info. I'm serious about this build.

Thanks,
    Glenn

2. Krollin

Krollin IncGamers Member

Couple of things (IMHO)...
    1- Use Harlies in preference to Delirium helm. +2 skills, DR and MF + stat boosts make this my number 1 choice of helm. Also, you are not getting the benefit of the Confusion spell. On your Merc Delirium rocks totally, if you have a merc that is.
    2- Gloves are wrong, you need Magefist. They will take you over the FCR break plus it helps with your mana regen.
    3- As this build is a caster, BK rings are not for you, SoJ's are. Get the same +skills but you get a tonne of additional mana
    4- +Combat Skill GCs.
    5- The best weapon for a Hammerdin is Heart of the Oak, aka HoTo, faster cast, +skills, +all resists make this the Hammerdins weapon of choice. Wizardspike has much more in the way of +resists and FCR however it does not have +skills, this makes Wizardspike the second best weapon for a Hammerdin

3. gblan

gblan IncGamers Member

Nice info. Exactly what I was hoping for.
    1. I suppose you mean Harlequin Crest Shako. I have one and can switch to it. Will put Delirium on merc. (Act 2 Nm Holy Freeze.)
    2. Ok I have Magefist too but the defense is sooooo low. Ugh.
    3. Can't afford SOJ's, BK's cost exactly half as much. Still +1 skills and they'll have to do.
    4. I'll shop for charms. They're kinda pricey too.
    5. Just found out about HoTO. Will def get one.
    Thanks for the input.
    GB

4. nSin

nSin IncGamers Member

If you want the best helmet possible... you should get a 2 paladin skills / 20 fcr% / +strength +mana + allres circlet +fhr.. but obviously, those cost an arm and a leg. If you dont know what to do with your money, from now on, gamble circlets.

You can always upgrade the magefist if you mind defense so much

If you were to get a godly circlet like I mentioned earlier, you might want to go for the last breakpoint and thus switch a bk ring for a 10fcr ring with all res and whatnot, the sky is the limit.

With your current setup, you have no faster hit recovery, many people under estimate this mod, 1 frame can really make a difference, especially in pvp (same counts for fcr). If you can get Paladin Combat Charms, or Offensive Charms, try to get one with 12% fhr.

I personally prefer Silkweaves over Waterwalks because of the mana increase, and the mana after eah kill, but both are solid boots.

Hope it helped,

nXares

5. Nemonic-X

Nemonic-X IncGamers Member

if you want a nice balance of DR, resists, and + skills, heres the setup i recommend.

Crown of Ages (dual ber'd)
    Archon Enigma
    Maras
    2x soj or soj + ravenfrost
    HotO
    Magefists
    Arachnids
    Ethereal Sandstorm Treks
    Ber'd HoZ

Ofcourse is this is really expensive, so considering what you can afford, here is what i recommend.

Shako (Ber'd or Cham'd)
    enigma
    maras
    hoz
    arachnids, magefists, hoto
    silkweaves, marrowwalks, waterwalks, or Eth sandstorms
    for your rings, you mentioned you can afford 2x bk rings. in that case, go for one soj + ravenfrost (then u dont need to cham ur helm or shield).

as for the 10-11k hammer dmg you hoped, bottom line is get combat gc's.

6. gblan

gblan IncGamers Member

I'm mostly interested in maximum Hammer damage. Resists are maxed. Mana is under control. I have no trouble at all staying alive. Block is 75%. DR not an issue. I'd just like to kill faster, hit harder.

GB

7. Krollin

Krollin IncGamers Member

Defense is not something that should be paramount in your mind when it comes to building a Hammerdin. If it were you would be using a Defiance Merc wouldn't you. Magefist helps you in 2 important areas, mana recharge and FCR.
    You have DR from Enigma and Shako and most important of all, 75% block with HoZ. This should mean not really having to worry about physical damage reaching you. After all the melee monsters have to traverse your Hammerfield to get to you. Ranged attackers can be lured towards you, confuse from your Merc will help a lot here and teleporting to them tends to make them forget to attack you as they reposition themselves.

High resistances are a must here.

SoJ helps with mana, BK adds lifeleech which is useless to you. Other than that the +skills is the most important thing.
    +Combat Skillers on their own are not that expensive, on Ladder more so.
    +Combat Skillers with +life, +resist or other mods are though.

8. Krollin

Krollin IncGamers Member

Boots are a matter of preference however the +5 mana per kill of Silkweaves and mana increase are only really of benefit when you have mana problems.

I would recommend Tearhaunch even in Hell because it adds +5 dex and str, 20% FWR, +10 all resists and +2 vigor.
    The +2 Vigor helps when you really want to run fast and the 20% FWR helps with mobility, something that a Hammerdin needs in order to lay down Hammer fields and move, (rinse, repeat)

9. DarkY

DarkY IncGamers Member

I got outfit, that makes 10k min/max dmg after a BO (got cta:) )
    Shako um
    Enigma
    that new pala amulet 2/1
    raven / dwarf
    tgods with pdiamond
    magefist
    1 combat skiller
    anni
    hoz
    hoto
    36mf wt's, but silkweaves are probably better
    with this outfit + a 12all res gr.charm i got maxed res and lighting 85
    Maxed block, defeniance merc and about 500 mana and about 2000 life without bo.

10. gblan

gblan IncGamers Member

Good info there. I guess Magefists are the way to go. It is after all only a measly 100 defence difference. Don't know what I was thinking. Shoot I'm well over 2000 anyway. In hell my resists are maxed, no problem there. I know the SOJ vs. BK arguement and I fully agree that SOJ is the way to go but the cost is too high for me to consider. BK rings give the +1skills and are so much cheaper it's a no brainer for me.
    Thanks much,
    Glenn

11. SgtPPS

SgtPPS IncGamers Member

tgods with a p.diamond ? how do you socket a belt ? oh yeah thats right you cant. please say it was a typo if not please do not talk about hacks and dupes ect.... here . Thank You

12. Krollin

Krollin IncGamers Member

I have been thinking about the ring thing, although SoJ is the ring of choice for a caster BK gives you something which can be valuable which SoJ does not, namley Life Leech.
    I initially thought this made BK only useful for the +1 skill however if you have a secondary skill like Charge (recommended as a secondary skill not that I use it) and use it you will be getting the leech benefit. If your charge weapon also gives you LL then you are actually better off with BK than without.

Not only that but I was playing my Hammerdin in MF runs without my SoJs on and was experiencing no Mana problems whatsoever. My Hammerdin doesn't have a secondary skill, I have never really needed one because my Merc does the crude stuff with his Lance. All he has to do is stop dying in Hell quite so often. Must find a Shako for him...

13. LovelyGods

LovelyGods Banned

if you are gonna upgrade anything watch out for its next Norm to Exceptional to Elite STRENGTH REQ.

This is very important. Some of those rare boots have super low str req at normal but when you get em elite or exceptional they have well over 100 str req. Which you may not have.

So before you upgrade Check ur Str you have. Or will have inorder to equip the boots / gloves etc..