Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

help fighting Duriel

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by mrewak, Aug 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. mrewak

mrewak IncGamers Member

i am neering the fight against Duriel on normal difficulty as a sorceress and im starting to crap my pants...if anyone has any tips....please tell me....if anyone is willing to help me via tcp/ip....PLEASE... i really want to not die as horribly....should i ditch my mmf gloves and boots. if so, for what. where should i farm gear. idk because miphisto and baal arnt an option yet. please help.

i already have a leaf staff. a chest plate with 2 perfect blue gems and an eth rune, helm with 2 flawless blue gems, belt with replinish life 4, a caster amulet, cast ring, and ring with mf, poisen risist, lightneen risist i think, as well as other minor bonuses, a gloves with 20ish mf, and boots with 17 mf.
    im playing a lightneen sorc forcusing on the charged bolt/lightneen synergy. i wrek face with it, but i will still die against duriel...

2. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

1) stack thawing potions in advance (each one adds 30 sec of +50 cold res iirc, and I believe they raise the max resistance cap to 90! edit: actually 85), since in normal a large portion of his damage is cold.

2a) Hire an Act 2 merc that you can also dump a few thawing potions on, so he can tank. Use shift+1/2/3/4 to feed your merc rejuv pots if you have any whenever his HP is less than 60%. Remember, merc HP meter is a bit lagged in the game so it takes a bit of practice and knowledge to account for this.

2b) Your A2 merc should have as high def and cold res as possible. If you get a "defensive" merc, it will have defiance aura. You may have to engage in combat with some random monsters before fighting him so that he activates the aura... this will make both of you much safer!

3) Have at least 1 pt in static field (preferably a few, or enough + skills to make it 3+) so you can safely spam static field while your merc tanks. You can spam this until he only has a sliver or very low HP and then focus on using your high damage attacks.

4) Make sure you're level 20+. Thje higher, the better, for both you and your merc. Honestly, you should be fine if you take some or most of the advice I gave. You can also spawn a TP as soon as you enter his chamber, and jump in it whenever your merc is <40% HP to go heal/buy potions. You should only have to do this a few times total if at all, using the static field method.

Definitely keep the caster rings since you want as much FCR as possible for spamming static field, and make sure to set "/players 1" before entering the chamber if you normally play at a higher setting.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017 at 11:22 PM
    T72on1, drmalawi and GooberGrape like this.
  3. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

@pharphis that pretty much covers it. I am a regular (ab)user of the antidote, thawing and stamina potion duration stack. It's a fabulous way to "cheat" the system and get temporarily awesome stats.

4. pharphis

Ok dug this up by looking for onderduiker + duriel damage.

This was in 2010 therefore either 1.12 or 1.13. AFAIK, this data should still be correct if you're playing 1.13+, so you can see how big of a difference it makes for some of his attack patterns to add some cold res. @onderduiker reveals more info in that thread as well

5. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Thawing and antidode pots add 10% to max resist, so normally 85% is reached. There is a roof of 95% max resist for elementals and poison. No item adds to max physical resist, so the cap of 50% (since 1.10; used to be 75% in 1.09 and earlier) is absolute when playing legit.

6. Maltatai

Maltatai IncGamers Member

Teleport is a handy skill here too. Keep in mind that since all but rejuvenation potions take some time to work you may have to either leave via a Town portal or teleport around to give your mercenary time to heal from the potions.

7. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Remember to pop some thawing pots into the merc as well.

8. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Have a TP Town Portal on hotkey. Don't be afraid to use it, get out and restock. In fact nothing wrong with keeping that portal open and running in a circle to get into it periodically.

PhineasB and pharphis like this.
  9. darkstarhub

darkstarhub IncGamers Member

Yep, Duriel used to be one of the toughest bosses for me, and if playing untwinked still can be in normal and nightmare. It's something about that little area, and having nowhere to run to. It's quite brilliant actually, and just another testament to the brilliance of this game.

I am with @Thyiad in the use of a town portal and running in circles. That was the method I had to use the first few times I faced him with a non melee character. I would also use plenty of thawing potions and you'll be fine.

10. okey

okey IncGamers Member

If you're still stuck on Duriel, here's some sure fire tip to get pass that obstacle.

Preparation: The Gear.

Assuming you're already decided on which type of stat build you're basing your sorc on, you'll want to maximize its potential as much as possible. And as stated earlier by others, be sure to drink a few Thawing potions for both you and your merc, this will both lower the amount of cold damage you will get inflicted as well as the chill duration.

For both stat build: I recommend you hoard 2-3 FHR charms in your inventory while fighting Duriel so that when you do get struck, you don't find yourself stuck in recovery animation hell. (This is almost always the reason why you die!!) Hire the Defiance merc, and stick the highest Defense armor you can find him, if possible give him a poking stick with +psn dmg to remove Duriel's hp regen. (every little bit helps)

If Max Block: If you're lucky you will happen on a socketed magic/rare shield of blocking/deflecting, socket an Eld into that bad boy (or hp/dia if you don't). This will let you go hybrid a bit, in normal you only need around 50% Max Block, this will let you put some points into HP.

If Max Vita: Get as many socket armor as possible and put in rubies into them, get as much health as possible. For shield, look for low block shield with FHR and HP modifiers attached.

Stock up on 2 columns on Red and 2 columns on Blues.

Fighting: Being Victorious.

First thing you do when you go into the Duriel's Lair: DON'T MOVE.

Why?-- Duriel will almost always focus his assault on the first unit that moves cloest to it, the merc, which in turn give you AMPLE time to unleash your static field to drop his life down to close to 0 by the time he moves his attention to you.

While fighting, WALK don't run; you have 1/3 your block rate and defense will be 0 when you run. (This is reason #2 on why you will most likely die!!)

The moment your or your merc's health drops, down a potion, be liberious on your usage; take twice the potion so you can out regen Duriel's damage.Also, be sure that you don't neglect your mana.

Lastly, put down a portal so that when thing starts turning bad, you are able to retreat. Remember, retreating does not mean you are a loser, dying means you are a loser. Don't be a loser, life is precious, cherish it.

Hope these tips help, cheers!

pharphis likes this.
  11. mrewak

mrewak IncGamers Member

thanks. got through him without dieing. the tatic i used was actually getting a whole bunch of max rejuvs and i fed them to my merc while he was poking Duriel with the savage weapon i made him using a diamond, kris, staff, and belt. 10-108 damage is nice.

12. pharphis

Nice!

He's only scary the first few times you face him. The true scare is random bosspacks in hell mode ;)

sanguillen likes this.