Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Help Difference PVP SMITE and PVM SMITE!!!!

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by capogr, May 8, 2008.

1. capogr

capogr IncGamers Member

Help Difference PVP SMITE and PVM SMITE!!!!

:embarassed:

I am a little bit confused. It is my first Smite. I dont know what to build PVP or PVM . First of all which skills do PvP smite max which pvM . Most of the threats i read are saying max zeal what is the purpose? :embarassed: Please hlp me where to put my skills?

2. eclipz

eclipz IncGamers Member

Re: Help Difference PVP SMITE and PVM SMITE!!!!

Hello again capogr ;)

Since I havent played PVP yet, so I will fill you in on PVM.

If your are building a PVM Paladin your main quest is to have enough AS (Attack Speed), Damage and Leech, wich results in fast and easy kill. Zeal, is a skill that Paladin use for hit one target 1-5 times (depends on how many skill points you use, 5 is max) on one attack. Zeal aslo gives you extra % damage to your Weapon, Zeal cant be used with Smite Attack.

Sacrifice: +12% Damage Per Level - GIVES YOU BONUS TO ZEAL FOR EACH SKILL POINT USED ON SACRIFICE!

Details: Zeal is a rapid, multi-strike attack with substantial bonuses to attack rating, attack speed, and damage.

The first strike will always aim at the targeted monster. The next four will alternate between all targets in range.
    Using Zeal on a group tends to wear all the monsters down gradually and equally. Poison damage or Prevent Monster Heal will keep them from healing back during the battle.
    If you wish to kill a single monster in a group, you should use Vengeance or Sacrifice or Smite to hit just it.
    If using a one-handed weapon, picking one with 2 or 3 range will work noticeably better than 1-range items, especially when hitting monsters in a group.
    Note that points in Sacrifice add more to Zeal's damage than points in Zeal itself, though they do not add to the Attack Rating. If higher damage is the goal, raise Zeal enough to get five hits and the necessary AR, then put points into Sacrifice instead.
    Zeal can not be interrupted; all five hits are always delivered, though not necessarily successfully. Which can be a bit confusing ;) The more IAS you have, the more powerful will zeal be. Try it! Start a new char and test it.

3. UberB

UberB IncGamers Member

Okay, quite a bit of explaining to do. First of all, you know what smite is right? It's a shield bash that knocks enemies back. It always hits regardless of AR, defense or block, as long as you are within range. Things that affect smite damage are shield base damage, off-weapon ED, strength from character, auras like Fanaticism, holy shield bonus, smite skill bonus, physical resistance and +dmg. Things that don't work are +min/max damage, elemental damage and weapon ED. (I'm sure there's more but that's it in a nutshell.)

Smite is the favored skill for pvp since it always hits and does a lot of damage with Grief runeword. For the same reason it's good for ubers, since you don't need to worry about AR/block. 1 point is enough for ubers, pvp you will want to max unless you are a smite hybrid (for example v/t).

Zeal is a nice skill that can hit up to five monsters, however it is blockable and requires AR which isn't much of an issue in PvM. Zeal is a nice pvm skill for crowd control, much better than smite. The "pvm smiter guides" you see are basically Fanatic Zealots which use their one point smites to do Uber Tristram.

Generally maxing Zeal has a very little benefit (its synergy Sacrifice gives far more damage bonus), but after dumping 20 holy shield, 20 fanaticism, 20 sacrifice, there's not much place to put leftover points so Zeal ends up maxed too for some extra damage. If you think it's a waste, feel free to max Defiance/Blessed Aim and then drop extra points in Zeal. Make sure you get at least 4 soft points in there for 5 hits.

EDIT: Owned.

4. koeraokse

koeraokse IncGamers Member

Why dont u make zealot instead, when using grief ba and with 1 pt in smite, u can kill most smiters and with zeal u can handle most of the other classes and kill fast in PvM.

Just a suggestion :smiley:

-Priit