Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Help!!! Dark archers!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Noavailnames, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Noavailnames

Noavailnames IncGamers Member

Help!!! Dark archers!!!!!!!!

Hi guys, I'm a level 71 hammerdin who's just gotten started again. My hammer currently do 4.6-4.7k damage and I'm trying to do countess runs on Hell, I can pretty much one-shot any mob thats in those hallways, and countess herself dies in like 4 hammers or so (So over powered) but those ****ing dark archers just totally wreck me and theres nothing I can do about it, I try to get close but they always seem to be in a dead zone where no hammers fly, and they hit me with cold-damage to slow me down then run away. On top of that, for some reason even non-elite/non-unique dark archers seem to be able to kill me in 2 shots so I have to spam super healing and rejuv pots just to stay alive.

And if theres a unique archer or any mob with an aura on it? forget it, I just have to run by cause theres no way I can do it without 15 deaths (Literatly, I counted)

Do any hammerdins out there have suggestions on what I can do differently to kill these guys? Currently I have like 800 health, 2.9k armor (with my def. mercs aura on) and my Merc has I think 2000 hp and 3000 armor (he's dead so im not sure about that)

It may be just a level thing idk...Should I put more points into dex? I've been putting em into life because with Insight on my merc I don't need mana.

Please help!!

2. Tarantella

Tarantella IncGamers Member

Re: Help!!! Dark archers!!!!!!!!

The towers are lvl 75-79 so your merc is in trouble even if you are not and though many reckon hammerdins to be very powerful they do have drawbacks when forcing their way through doorways and along corridors and when monsters ambush them on the blind spot.

So I suggest cbf (cant be frozen), maximum faster cast, maximum block(walking when necessary) and a holy freeze merc levelled to 80 or so wearing duriels shell or similar.

3. Noavailnames

Ok i'll try that...How do I get my merc to have holy freeze?

4. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Your hammerdin is far from overpowered. 4 hits for the Countess isn't that impressive. Hammerdins can have 3 times as much.

Regarding hitting with the hammers, it needs a strategy, you have to build up a hammerfield the monsters approach (in case of melee monsters) or teleport or run to them and hammer them while they try to run away from you (missile/spell users).

You have 75% blocking while holy shield is active and holy shield is always on, correct ? Apart from that, switch off run mode when being under serious attack, as enemies will always hit and blocking is reduced to 1/3 of its value then. When approaching archers, run in zigzag.

If you are slowed, your casting speed won't be affected, it's only running/walking and attacks with weapons.

Anyway, I know what you mean. Small or quick monsters are hard to hit with hammers and aiming with them can be very annoying which is one of the reasons why I don't like playing them. Aiming with tornados is even worse.

5. Arkansaw

Arkansaw Banned

lvl 71 for hell is a little underpowered, but still okay if you level in the open areas

holy freeze merc is your act 2 defensive guy from NM

6. Noavailnames

Does it have to be from NM? I got my guy from Hell since by old one was 10 levels behind me and he sucked...My guy has the defense rating aura.

Edit: I had like 400k laying around in my stash so I took off all my mercs gear and bought a new defensive one from Act 2 on nightmare, and he doesn't have any aura at all...Just the one that my Insight gives him, but no holy freeze.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  7. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Since 1.11 there's no level cap anymore on freshly hired mercs from lower difficulties, so if you hire a new one in nightmare, he will just be 1-4 levels behind you and catch up rather quickly. The nightmare defensive one is the best for a hammerdin because slow enemies get hit more often before they reach you, flee out of hammer range or they cannot finish their attack animation before a hammer hits them.

8. dave

dave IncGamers Member

Your merc doesnt get the aura right when u resurect him / create a new game. He has to be in combat and get hit a bit before it triggers...

9. butchie

butchie IncGamers Member

allways had trouble hiting those archers with hammers. I used charge to get to them quickly, hammered some of them quickly (you need decent cast rate for that) and then finished the rest with charge/smite.

P.S.: Had 1 point in both charge and smite