Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Help choosing car

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mhl12, Apr 6, 2005.

1. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

Help choosing car

Hi, I need some help deciding on a car to get maybe sometime next year or later.. ya.. its far off and im doing some real long time planning. lol.

Anyway, this is a car just for me to learn how to drive a manual transmission (5 or 6 speed doesnt matter). So therefore it has to be a sporty kind of car since most cars today have auto transmission. Most likely, it wont be for me but for most whole family and it will also be maybe used since im poor. lol

so i had thought of cars. I havent really added the packages or anything, only their base prices. Another thing, they are under 30 k (new prices b/c used prices vary too much).

heres the list:

Nissan 350z coupe $26,700
    MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Miata $26,340 (probably not this one b/c it only has one row of seats but still under consideration)
    Mazda RX-8 $25,935
    Ford Mustand coupe GT $25,570
    Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Rs $28,499
    Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII $30,699

note that these prices will probably go down next year since new models will come out.

Also, I have a question about the Evo. I asked my friend whos into cars and stuff about getting it used. He advised against it b/c he said that many ppl abuse the cars and suggested a new one. Is that typically true?

Right now, im kinda leaning towards the Evo since it is a sedan (for the whole family..). The 350z and the Mazdas come next. My least favorite right now is the mustang b/c i just hate their redesigned model but my friend recommended it.

So anyone have any opinions or recommendations? Like on their choice of car or buying tips and stuff? Thanks!

2. Dirty_Zulu

Dirty_Zulu IncGamers Member

350z all the way.

How the heck does a Miata cost same as 350? Same with the Ford junk.

3. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere IncGamers Member

Stay away from Ford when it comes to used.

4. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

its the Mazdaspeed mx5 miata.. turbocharged..

5. Beowulf

Beowulf IncGamers Member

Of those probably the 350. Any of thse types of cars have a chance of being "abused" simply because most are bought by younger drivers who have a higher chance of getting into street racing etc. Have you looked at the Subaru WRX?

6. Raistlin Majere

The STI? Dude, that is the sweetest four-banger on the market! I seriously want one.

7. Beowulf

Beowulf IncGamers Member

How much is the Sti? Either the regular or the STI depends on how much you want to spend I guess. I love them and would take them over an Evo any day.

8. Raistlin Majere

I think the STI is about 27,000 brand new, or about 18-23,000 used. way out of my price range.

9. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

10. giantpinkbunnyhead

giantpinkbunnyhead IncGamers Member

mhl12, I just want to point out that you don't NEED a sporty car to get a manual tranny. In your first post, you implied that you do. Many cars are still manual, and in fact are cheaper than their automatic counterparts. For instance, if you go to a Saturn dealer, you'll find about 70% of them to be manuals. Toyota Tercels, Honda Civics, etc.. are widely found with manuals.

You should buy a sporty car because you want the performance and looks and in some cases, prestige. But if your only reason is to "learn to drive manual", especially if it won't be solely your car but subject to family use, get something more practical. For one, sporty cars, especially high horsepower models, have stiffer clutch pedals and are less accommodating to learning stickshift drivers. The resulting effects of sloppy technique and shifting mistakes are greater in higher HP cars, as is the potential for said mistakes to do damage. If you take an 83 horsepower Tercel and let off the clutch a bit too early, you might hear the engine bog a little but otherwise you'll feel nothing. Do that with a 420 HP Aston Martin DB9, and you'll get a substantial, sharp lurch, if you haven't managed to break the wheels loose.

Second, if you feel you are being rough on a car's drivetrain during your learning process, won't you feel better if you're not aggrevating a sports car's drivetrain?

And lets not forget you'll probably end up paying more for insurance on a sports car.

So, my recommendation is to look for a compact, "normal car" with a manual. They are everywhere, even today. If you really WANT a sports car, then go for it, but I wouldn't if you're only reason for car shopping is to learn stick shift. If you are gonna go for a sports car, then I have to agree with the other posters... good discussion here on the choices.

11. Beowulf

Beowulf IncGamers Member

Gah Saturn :eek: ;)

For looks and power I'll take the WRX. It is true most cars can still be found in manual as I drive a 2003 Jeep TJ Sport and it is manual and my gf has a 2004 Honda Civic and it is also manual.

12. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

http://www.volvocars.us/Showroom/newS40/

If you get the T5 model, you get yourself a nice 6 speed manual tranny and a supernice car (not to mention safe, which means lower insurance rates and good family car) for under $30k. And believe it or not, a turbocharged Volvo does pack a little kick for that aggressive driver who likes to burn out of a light or punch the accelerator while zipping onto the highway. Even my 10-year-old non-turbo 850 purrs and packs a nice punch still.

At any rate, I'm biased. I've always loved Volvos, ever since I saw the minor damage on my mother's 240 back when someone folded their Honda around the bumper. The Volvo had some scratched paint and a broken headlight. Their car had a bent frame and was totalled.

13. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

Get a copy of the latest Consumers Report car issue ... it will give you a quick rundown on all makes and models, advantages and disadvantages, frequency of repair, recommendations, and much more.

14. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

I'd have to say a WRX is an amazing car. The one showed in the link is an upper-end sportier model, but even a slightly more basic WRX is still a pretty nice, sub 30k sporty, 4wheel drive car. I've driven one (wagon, unfortunately), and yeah, the clutch would be pretty difficult to learn on, but boy, those things have some pickup to em, doing 90 in that was so smooth it felt like about 50 in my car (02 civic).

I've been in them both driven aggressively and normally (my friend has an 03), and it was a great ride either way... coming from my relatively limited experience actually driving and riding in them, its a fantastic car.

My other higher picks would be... (if new)
    Mazda RX8, pretty nice car
    New mustang. The models of recent years have been a little plain, but the new revamped ones are pretty nice cars.

-Matt

15. Dirty_Zulu

Dirty_Zulu IncGamers Member

...or you can spend $15,000 on a NEW Honda Civic Si and then another $5000-6000 in parts and it'll beat any care listed above. :thumbsup:

16. dantose

dantose IncGamers Member

along with voiding the warenty.

Anyone planning to buy a new car to do a rice job on isn't thinking straight as far as I'm concerned.

Now, as for car recomendation:

I just got a brand new, 2005 Toyota Corolla. Stickshift, base model. I paid $12,000. The thing shifts beautifully and is great for learning. Higher HP engines are much less forgiving of poor shifting so I'd stay away from sporty cars. Stick to something like a civic or a corolla. Cheap, small engine, and not too stiff.

17. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Sporty cars also carry higher insurance tags, something else to beware of.

18. Raistlin Majere

Banter and car insults provided free of charge from Anakha, myself, and many others in the OTF of course.

One of my Managers got a used STI for $20,000. I have always hated front wheel drive with a passion. I believe its the only really fast 4-banger with AWD on the market.

19. Beowulf

Beowulf IncGamers Member

Ummm ya sure. Almost any car above is way better then a moded Civic. You also have to consider the warranty as mentioned above and also your local traffic laws, as some mods are not always allowed.

20. masterazn

masterazn Banned

I'd go with the 350z.

Have you considered the Mazda 6? It's a decent car...