Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Help build an untwinked 3 man party

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Skinnyy, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Skinnyy

Skinnyy IncGamers Member

Help build an untwinked 3 man party

So my brother, a friend, and I have decided to play some cattlenet just for the fun of having experienced the ubers. Anyway we will be playing through the game untwinked and without trading (except between the three of us), which is why I am posting in the single player forum- people that are knowledgeable playing this way don't generally hang out in the other forums. Anyway, I am trying to design a team of three that synergizes well. They will only be played when we all play them together. So far this is what I have:

1) Conviction Pally (Max Conviction, Zeal, Sacrifice, Holy shield)
    2) Lit Sorceress (Max lit/chain lit and synergies)
    3) Frenzy Barb (Max BO and Frenzy+damage synergies; 1 pt each sword/axe/mace mastery)

The reason for the conviction pally is that as long as he has at least level 21 conviction when we face uber meph, uber meph's conviction will be shutdown. Which untwinked is easier than to plan for an extra 125% fire/lit/cold resistance penalty for three characters.

The lit sorc was added to take advantage of the conviction. I expect her to do the most damage and speed up general gameplay/questing, while being relatively less useful for the ubers. Also, gives the team access to teleport for bypassing boring spots/getting to mf/experience targets.

The barb was added first for BO, which will be a great help untwinked. Also, by maxing frenzy and frenzy synergies while only putting 1 pt in each of the 3 one hand weapon masteries, the barb will be able to put any one handed weapon we find to good use. Not maxing a mastery will leave his AR really low, but the pally's conviction lowers enemy defense by ~90%, which should make up for this (party synergizing!). Also, Battle Cry should help his (and the pally's) chance to hit.

Downsides I see to this group:

1)Finding suitable weapons for a melee character untwinked can be a challenge. Finding 3 may just take too long. I think this can be somewhat overcome with using some of the cheaper runewords that only get respect in the SPF.

2)If one of us goes down (especially the pally) the group suffers a lot. But that is kind of the point of designing the team together right from the start.

3) No summonable minions. Mercs can be used until they inevitably die. Conversion could be used for temporary help.

So that is my plan, but I will put it up to you guys for comments. Basically, if you could play 3 untwinked characters through together what would you pick?

2. lionheartthebrave

lionheartthebrave IncGamers Member

Re: Help build an untwinked 3 man party

The paladin's conviction aura will only protect that paladin from UberMeph's one iirc, not your other characters

From my vantures onto the other forums, I would say focus on CB for the Ubers, Strength is probably possible untwinked

GL on cattlenet

3. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

1) may not be an issue, as you'll only really be hurting for a weapon in late Normal/NM, by which time, you'll have Insight on a prayer merc, and the sorc will begin adding to synergies to lightning. After that, with conviction, the sorc will be the main one doing the damage, with the other guys as aura/BO + maybe some CB (if found) for bosses. Plus, you should run a few bosses a little looking for specific usefuls. Frostburn, Magefists, rare/unique weapon (any,) Vipermagi and HoZ if you're lucky. Be sure to follow the early guide to untwinked mfing to get as many drops as you can.

Extra notes:
    1) When you can, maybe MF for Dracul's for the zealadin. Life Tap'll keep your health up during difficult fights.
    Additionally, CB on smite (1 point smite is all that's needed) will provide a lot of help against bosses.

2) Mercs would probably be Might, Prayer (insight) and HF IMO. Prayer on the Light sorc, Might/HF on the other two.

3) AR won't be a problem at all really. They'll virtually have no defense after the conviction and barbs warcry (not sure which one brings defense down.)

4) I honestly don't think you'll need a tank. After HF, most will be slow to the point of no threat/so you can avoid them. After Conviction, Lightning will tear most apart (if you get an Um, go for Crescent Moon.) After BO (and hopefully Dracul's), the two main tankers will have plenty of life. Smite always hits, so he can tank anything almost with Draculs.

Not sure about ubers and their minions, but that should be fun. Best of luck with it, and that's all I can think of at the moment. I think the characters are fine together, although the sorc will be the dominating killer, while a decently built smiter can take down the ubers solo with CB/DS/resists/lifetap.

Edit: I actually thought (just what I've picked up) that the higher level conviction was the only one that took effect, so by having a higher conviction than Meph, his didn't even come to play. Might want clarification here.

4. TopHatCat64

TopHatCat64 IncGamers Member

The paladin's conviction will override meph's conviction...but only for himself. The other 2 characters will still suffer massive -resists.

As for the barb, I might suggest a berserker instead of a frenzy barb. Zerk gets massive ED full synergized, it's not vulnerable to IM, and most monsters have very low magic resist.

5. bcoe

bcoe IncGamers Member

I think an interesting alternative to the frenzy-barb would be a singer. Its pretty easy to get dual-spirit swords untwinked. With lots of + skills from the spirits and a nice blue barb-helm, you would have big-time BO/BC/Shout that would really help the pally and sorc. Plus, the high-level stunning would provide a nice amount of safety and some physical damage to boot.

Another fun team player is a shockwave summoner. For this team, I'd say 20 in Grizz, Dires, Lycan, and a spirit (probably Oak, but HoW would be nice for the pally and all the mercs). A 1-point carrion vine would provide nice corpse removal and healing. Stay in bear-form a bunch and spam shockwave to shut down enemies (affects all but act bosses). You'd have huge life from lycan, WB and Oak, and a big fat combat-castable bear to act as a meatshield and soak up curses in the chaos sanctuary or in WSK3 (depending on spawns). Its the ultimate tank, in my opinion....