Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Help an "old" non geek with a new install

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Atratees, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Atratees

Atratees IncGamers Member

Well I got d2 and d2 LOD d/l'd from my battle net account no prob. Did a data save on a thumb drive beforehand. Problem is getting my single players back. Looks like they are saved in D2 folder in Save folder. Is this correct? And if so, what's the best way to get it back into new puter?

2. RadTang

RadTang IncGamers Member

Seems that you're a bnet player (or at least logged to check if they're still there). :) A few days ago, Blizz released 1.14a patch which fixes the compatibility with windows 7 onwards (no more xp compatibility - tested & proven true). Unfortunately, the save patch is changed (and the save folder in game install is deleted !).

The new save folder is: C:\Users\YourUsernameHere\Saved Games (or so - it has a separate icon)\Diablo II\

Just copy your old saves here :) Also, no compatibility problems with ATMA / GoMule although the new patch spoiled Glide wrapper and D3D mode has corrupted screenshots (play in windowed mode - the only remedy so far).

Hope it all helps. I have no problems with D2 under Windows 10.

3. Atratees

Yes, an occasional bnet player. Logged in to find all my old chars, still version 1.14 btw. Running Windows 7. I do see D2LOD-1.14a-Installer file in D2 file. Is that a file I need to open or do something with to get 1.14a? Thanking all in advance.

4. RadTang

RadTang IncGamers Member

You're welcome. If you were on bnet, then you should got your D2 autoupdated. I don't know anything about that file you have mentioned. If you see in automap that you have 1.14 then everything is ok :)

5. Atratees

Ok, moved that save folder like you suggested. Still no saved sp chars. Guess I'm destined to start over in SP.

6. RadTang

RadTang IncGamers Member

Hmm.. anyway, play on 1.13d :) 1.14a doesn't bring any really new things except fixed compatibility. Unless you want to play on bnet then you need 1.14a.

7. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

Not sure what went wrong. Normally, when the game updates to 1.14a, it moves the save folder to the new location automatically. At least that's what happened with me.

Did you have the save folder in the standard location? If you are still on 1.13d, you should copy your saved characters to the D2\Save\ directory. Then log onto BNet, the game should auto-update to 1.14a, and your save folder should have been moved to the correct, new location. That's a lot of 'shoulds' though ...

8. Atratees

Not sure what went wrong either. Thinking I'll try to re-install D2LOD.

9. maareek

maareek IncGamers Member

I'm not 100% sure I follow the issue here, but if I do it's that you don't know where your save folder is D2 now to put the character files from your thumb drive? Try hitting the windows key and typing "diablo ii" in the "Search programs and files" text box at the bottom. The D2 folder should pop up under the "Programs" settings and when you click on it Windows Explorer should open up the folder. Depending on exactly what you're looking to do that should either let you know where to copy the files from your thumb drive or show you where your saves currently are.

Alternatively you could try opening up Windows Explorer (Windows key-> Computer or any of those options will do) then type in the address bar at the top "Diablo ii/save" should also take you directly to your save folder.

10. thefranklin

thefranklin IncGamers Member

You could create a single player character and then search your computer for it and see where d2 put it.

11. Atratees

Will do guys...thx for your help

12. Atratees

Ok, did 2 re-installs. Both times my bnet chars are saved but no sp chars. So am I missing something/doing something wrong/not doing something? Can I add them from the thumb drive, and if so, what file am I looking for and where do I put it? Sorry to be such a pain, but I'm 67 yrs old and not real proficient with computers. But I do love D2 and want to experience the joy you great guys on this forum enjoy!!!!!

13. RadTang

RadTang IncGamers Member

If you're using 1.13c/d then you should have Save folder inside of the game folder. Your char is basically a .d2s file but you should copy other files too - they have the same name as your character but different extension (like .map). You can add them from thumb drive to every save folder - both the new one (1.14a) and old one (1.13d and below).

You can also try to find it by using search option in Windows - in Windows 10 it's very conveniently located just near the Windows logo (the magnifier-looking button). :) Just type your character name and it should find it.

14. maareek

maareek IncGamers Member

Okay, so the issue is you don't know where to put the data from the thumb drive? Makes sense. Prior to 1.14 these would always go in the save folder within the game folder (the Diablo II/save folder I told you to search for above) and from the way the patch notes read I assume you can put them there now and let the game automatically move them if it so wishes.

Ideally when you saved your old data onto the thumb drive you just copied everything over and it's as simple as just grabbing every non-folder item within the "DiabloII/save" folder on the thumb drive and pasting it into the same folder on the computer.

After a bit of a reread, I'm still a little confused. You say the bnet characters are fine so I assume you've logged in on them and they're working properly. As I remember it bnet characters are saved in an additional folder within your Save folder, so I would assume you either 1. have multiple d2 installs or 2. didn't/don't have your single player characters in the save folder. I assume these things because it sounds like the save folder migration happened just fine and if your single player characters were there, they should also have been moved.

If you know where your single player characters are, just copy them into the new folder (I presume the path RadTang listed is correct; I haven't actually upgarded to 1.14) but if you don't you'll need to find them and then do the same. Diablo 2 characters are saved as .d2s files on your computer, so you can search by name (Atratees.d2s if you named one of them after your online handle, etc) to try to find them if you aren't sure.

15. thefranklin

thefranklin IncGamers Member

1. Create a single player character named BartSimpson
    2. Hit the windows key, and in the search type BartSimpson.d2s
    3. Right click on the result BartSimpson.d2s and hit "Open File Location"
    4. Copy your characters from your thumb drive to this folder

16. Atratees

Thanks to all I now have my SP characters back. Much appreciated.

thefranklin and T72on1 like this.