Help a noob with his Paladin

Nes333

Diabloii.Net Member
Hi im just looking for some advice on my Paladin, im pretty noob but im learning.
I wanted to keep my class build simple so I went with a Zealot. I am currently level 76 and doing NM Baal runs. Skills are- Max Zeal, Max Holy shield, Max Fanatacism, 1 for all prerequisits, and 9 on Defiance for HS synergy and 9 on Sacrifice for Zeal Synergy.My skills are, 150 strength, 140 Dex, 180 VIT, 15 Mana. My equipment is: Weapon-Demon Limb Tyrant Club, Armor-Guardian Angel Templar, Shield is Tiamat Rebuke with a perfect Diamond, Boots are Immortal Kings, Gloves are VenomGrip Demonhide. Rings are Nagel and Ravenfrost, Helmet is Shako, Amulet is Nokozan, and belt is Thundergods Vigor. With Fanatacism and Holy shield and all of my amulets.
Damage:1250-2482, Attack Rating:5853, Defense:9591, Life:986, FR:95%, CR:44%, LR:63%,
PR:95%.

Anyways my situation is that in NM i am unstoppable dont even get hit, i recently travelled over to Hell to find out that the monsters are a lot tougher than in NM, my cold and lightning resistances suck enough to kill me and my damage is not cutting it especially against physical immune, am i just using a crappy build? or do i clearly just need a new weapon and shield(what i am hoping)?
Should i keep pounding Baal to uprage my equipment or just try to trudge through Hell looking for the premium stuff? I have been looking into Runewords i have as follows. IO, SOL, ORT, RAL, AMN, IST, LUM, FAL,SHAEL, DOL, PUL, HEL, Any advice would be grealty appreciated!!

Noodle

You should be able to squeeze a few more levels out of NM Baal, say up to 80 before it gets too painful. My first physical damage based Zealot used Baranar's Star, which has enough elemental damage to take care of physical immunes. It may be worth a shot. The Enchant charges on Demon Limb help too, with both attack rating and fire damage.

If I were you, I'd probably run NM Baal to level 80, then move on to Hell Act 1 and push to the Pit in the Tamoe Highlands as quickly as I could, then spend a couple weeks there. It should result in some significant gear / rune upgrades.

I'd also be happy to donate some gear, unless you prefer to play self-found only.

Nes333

Diabloii.Net Member
You should be able to squeeze a few more levels out of NM Baal, say up to 80 before it gets too painful. My first physical damage based Zealot used Baranar's Star, which has enough elemental damage to take care of physical immunes. It may be worth a shot. The Enchant charges on Demon Limb help too, with both attack rating and fire damage.

If I were you, I'd probably run NM Baal to level 80, then move on to Hell Act 1 and push to the Pit in the Tamoe Highlands as quickly as I could, then spend a couple weeks there. It should result in some significant gear / rune upgrades.

I'd also be happy to donate some gear, unless you prefer to play self-found only.
Thanks a lot i appreciate it, im starting to lose hope on upgrading my weapon, i have found some really good stuff, but either just not quite as good as my current or two handed. I know i can upgrade my shield though with some better resistances than at least i can trudge through without dying, lol slowly as it may be. I have heard about the Pit, i think i may go until i can at upgrade my shield than head to the pit. I do go solo when it comes to MF do appreciate the offer though. All in all thanks for your reply

Espr

Diabloii.Net Member
A weapon on switch with a lot of elemental damage is a pretty common PI solution, between rares and a wide variety of uniques there's lots of potential options. Lawbringer (Amn, Lem, Ko) is also pretty good, giving you sanctuary (breaking PI on undead, if you're weilding it), decrepify and some elemental damage, either on yourself or an act5 merc. Similarily other sources of amplify damage and decrepify (usually with an act1 or 2 merc) usually suffice. Don't forget you can also just skip such monsters in most cases.

Resistances wise, the easiest thing to do is probably to roll a decent LK map and try and get a lightning resist charm or two. Keeping an eye out for a paladin shield with all resists with 2 or 3 open sockets is also an option. Ancient's Pledge, Rhyme, and Sanctuary being the potential options there. Though the last would take significantly more effort to farm up than the former. A blue+ ring stands out as another option (replacing nagel), the fastest source to something usable of those would also likely be LK.

Keep an eye out for Guilluame's, Gores or Goblin Toes as well. Crushing Blow makes a big difference, especially on lower player settings. NM Baal has a not-too-terrible chance of dropping them.

Timinator

Diabloii.Net Member
Personally I don't bother with NM baal after 76. Up to 75 minions etc can give EXP. 75->76 seems so much slower. If I was you, I'd have a wander around act 1 hell. Some things will beat you up, but pick and choose your battles. A few boss packs will have you levelling. Then try for the Pit 1 and 2 perhaps.

Depending how hard it is to push, sometimes when there is that benefit around the corner its worth pushing for. Eg Radament for the skill point.

DiabloTwoinDC

Diabloii.Net Member
A couple of cheap RW options with elemental damage to help with physical immunes, since finding a good weapon replacement might take some time:

Harmony (For A1 Rogue Merc)
4 Socket Missile Weapons
Tir + Ith + Sol + Ko

Holy Thunder (as weapon switch)
4 Socket Scepters
Eth + Ral + Ort + Tal

mir

Diabloii.Net Member
Hi,

I think your AR is quite low for melee build, I would consider using BA merc to help with it, anyway what merc you use right now?

You can leave the shield until you can find a better weapon, later it can be used on switch for PI solution. 1 point in Vengeance and Sanctuary also help a lot against PI.

Regarding runewords, I would consider Treachery (for IAS and DR%) instead of guardian angel and Lawbringer for barb merc for cheap decrepify. Both require Lem though.

I would change the stat a bit, but it depend on other equipment/charms available.
STR : 110-125
DEX : 120-130
VIT : rest

Although it's a bit 'painful' but 'walking' instead or 'running' allow you to utilize the high defense you have.

BKC

Diabloii.Net Member
If you find blue or yellow weapons that you like you can upgrade them to elite version of the weapon (normal, exceptional, elite base) however this a really pricy option!! Are you familiar with the areat summit? It is my go to place when i need information about this game.

http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/cube.shtml (i am not sure if i am allowed to link this if not please remove it)
another very usefull site i use a lot is:
http://www.theamazonbasin.com/ (same rule goes here if i am not allowed to link it here, feel free to remove it) *waves @T72on1

edit: you can also rerun areas for greater rewards, nightmare mephisto is actually a really good place to get more and better item options.

Korlic

Diabloii.Net Member
Do you have one point in vengeance for PI?

Oath is the RW that can boost you damage in an eth weapon.

sanguillen

Diabloii.Net Member
Do you have one point in vengeance for PI?

Oath is the RW that can boost you damage in an eth weapon.
+1. 1 pt in Vengeance should be enough to help you with the PI's, especially if you find a MAL rune for Oath (you already have PUL, SHAEL, and LUM). The Oath will also help you with what appears to be a big problem - your complete lack of IAS. As it stands, it appears you are only hitting 6 fpa. Just adding anything with 10% IAS appears to get you to 5 fpa, which will be a significant improvement and should be able to carry you until you find a MAL and a weapon in which to create Oath, which will get you well on your way to the ideal 4 fpa (which you will LOVE!).

Also, if you can find a Paladin shield with high base resistances that either has 4 sockets (into which you can insert 4 Perfect Diamonds) or white (which you can take to Larzuk, or gamble that the Horadric Cube will give you 4 sockets), that will go a long way towards covering all your Hell resistance needs.

mir raised a good question about what merc you're using. I always prefer Nightmare Act 2 Offensive Merc, as their Might aura gives you a significant damage boost. Also, I concur with what he said about your stat points - you probably don't need that much in Strength (though that will depend on what weapon you find to eventually make Oath in).

Nes333

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks for all your replies guys, i actually went to the PIT in Hell and in my first 10 runs found Stormlash and Goblin Toes boots, with my gloves ive got 63% crushing blow, i also found two 4 socket vortex shields, im saving one for runes and i put 4 perfect diamonds in the other one and with the 40% AR it already had its 115% all resistances. So im standing up to the mobs now, going to keep runnig the PIT till i ready to go to Mephisto, thanks for the PIT tip, i knew about it, but didnt know how good it can actually be. cheers

GooberGrape

Diabloii.Net Member
Stormlash is awesome find, I think this is endgame worthy. Maybe stay in Pit a while! Monsters in Pit actually drop better items than Mephisto.

Noodle

Yeah, Stormlash was a REALLY good find, and could easily help you get through the rest of Hell. Congrats!

BKC

Diabloii.Net Member
stormlash + 1 point in vengeance should bring you to the end of hell easy :)

Korlic

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah Stormlash is an absolute killer find! With your res shield and a point in Vengeance I don't think you'll have much trouble finishing Hell difficulty.