Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hellslayer! What is it good for???

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by cypraven, Feb 14, 2004.

1. cypraven

cypraven IncGamers Member

Hellslayer! What is it good for???

Well, for an elite unique weapon that is pretty rare, I can't think of ANY good use for this weapon! It's no good for a WW barb because of speed and lack of range. Nor is it good for Concentrate barb because there are 2 handed weapons that will do more damage. As for a charge paladin, any warpike will kick the crap out of hell slayer. Druids? Don't know too much but speed seems pretty important to any ww/wb builds. You can't throw it. You can't jab with it. You can't cast with it....
    So what the hell can u actually do with this weapon???

2. Zukker

Zukker IncGamers Member

yeah but hellslayer is fast when you're a druid

Decapitator
    [10]
    D - Fast
    N, S - Normal
    Ama, Asn, B, P - Slow

3. cypraven

Fast, Slow, Very slow, etc.. are kinda useless in a weapons description imo. I mean, a buriza has "Very Fast" in it's description because of 80%ias. But it's still a crossbow and slow as hell compared to a bow. But perhaps I'm mistaken. Perhaps a hellslayer can be a good weapon for a druid then?

4. FattyMcGee

FattyMcGee IncGamers Member

NO! druids are so sloooooooooooow with a Hellslower Decrapitator. Ask any self-respecting druid in the druid forum.

The "fast" 'normal" etc speeds that they list on in-game weapons are a VERY broad, very ambiguous method that really doesn't tell you much about the weapon at all. Bliz should have listed the real base weapon speeds (-20,-10,0,10, etc) on the items instead of some crappy loose-fitting descriptive term.

--fatty

P.S. All hellslowers are good for are saying "I own an elite unique!" or possibly trading to someone who doesn't know anything about weapon speeds :D

5. cypraven

So... As I was saying :p Hell Slayer! What is it good for????

6. FattyMcGee

I listed all the possibilities in my "P.S." ;)

--fatty

7. Boddah_khan

Boddah_khan IncGamers Member

Hellslayers are good for one thing: Iron golems. Seriously. Thats all I've ever used one for.

8. Jackson

Jackson IncGamers Member

Hellslayer is just too slow for any character. It doesn't reach the fastest whirlwind breakpoints, it's too slow, and it requires 2 hands. Biggest disadvantage would be the lack of speed. Even with a SHAEL rune (20% increased attack speed) it'll be too slow.

9. alainpp66

alainpp66 IncGamers Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again... (Luckily I'm not a self-respecting Druid, Fatty)

Hellslayer has it's place.

Unfortunately it's place doesn't lie in straight melee. To have a successful HellSlayer build you need to incapacitate, then decapitate.

This means Stun them (War Cry or ShockWave) and then attack with the big guns (Berzerk or Maul). Both these chars would require a fair amount of outside IAS and Solid AR so you don't feel like you're not advancing. I'd also suggest a Might merc to take advantage of Hellslayer's nice Base damage by getting as much ed% as you can.

For the Maul Bear, I'd suggest a nice quick weapon, maybe a B-Star for charging the Maul and PIs. The Barb would be well served with War Cry weapons...

Edit: Yep... that song came into my head too.

The final word on Hellslayer is it's not the Most damaging thing out there... but it can get the job done with the right build and a smart player. With an Ethereal one you can at least gloat about Max Damage.

10. AFBrat

AFBrat IncGamers Member

Blizzard made a critical mistake with that weapon by not adding 20% IAS, its what should have been done.

Hellslayer -ha good god y'all -what is it good for? absolutely nothing

when I saw the subject title it reminded me of that song called War back in the 'nam days (not that I remember those days lol)

11. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

iirc hellslayer was ok for a poorer druid in 1.09 and it IS FRUCKIN :)worship: Necrochild) AWSOME IRON GOLEM might not be 2 bad on Blade Asn (can any one back me up?)

12. Kaozu9

Kaozu9 IncGamers Member

Hellslayer only transfers 3/8 dmg to blade fury, so its useless for sins too.

13. CookiesnCream

CookiesnCream IncGamers Member

lol I use Hellslayer on my druid, does a lot of damage.

14. Stormie

Stormie IncGamers Member

Silly! Don't you know that if it isn't TEH BESTEST UBAR ITAM IN TEH GAME, it is completely useless, and only a N00B would ever be seen dead even picking one up to sell to Charsi. You should be punching monsters rather than sullying your hands with anything less than a BotD Thunder Maul (or whatever).

15. red_beard_neo

red_beard_neo IncGamers Member

In 1.09 I had a Vengeance pally with a Hellslayer. Worked out well enough, with 1-hit kills in a lot of places and Conviction eliminating the need for much AR. Dunno how it would work in 1.10.

16. FattyMcGee

naw, that's not what we're saying. We're saying you can get much better weapons that aren't nearly as rare (*cough* IK maul *cough* buriza *cough*) for a weredruid.

@alain you suggested oias for making the weapon faster... that wouldn't work very well with weredruids though of course ;)

also, yes Hellslower has it's place, but even with all the activities you listed, a more common weapon will be much more viable and damaging than a hellslower for both of those characters.

So, we're not saying you have the worst weapon ever. We're just saying, you have one of the worst RARE weapons ever :D But it's ok! We've all been through it.

--fatty

17. Stormie

Stormie IncGamers Member

Hmm, OK, after a bit of research, I certainly concur. I'd forgotten just how WIAS-dependant a weredruid was.

For a Fury Werewolf with lvl.20 Werewolf skill:

Buriza: Fury speed 9/5/5/5/5 (up to 8/5/5/5/5 with an extra 13% WIAS)
    IK Maul: Fury speed 10/6/6/6/6 (up to 8/5/5/5/5 with an extra 25% WIAS)
    Hellslayer: Fury speed, ahem, 16/9/9/9/9 (up to 12/7/7/7/7 with an extra 17% WIAS, or up to 14/8/8/8/8 with an extra 20% off-weapon IAS)

That's quite a difference. :)

Damage, btw, for a level 76 char (lowest level that can wield all 3):

Buriza: 82-327 (150% ED) to 99-355 (200% ED) - average 204.5-227
    IK Maul: 231-318 - average 274.5
    Hellslayer: 98-586 - average 342

Average damage per second:

Buriza: 881-978 (912-1013 if fully WIAS'ed up)
    IK Maul: 1009 (1225 if fully WIAS'ed up)
    Hellslayer: 822 (1068 if fully WIAS'ed up)

Interesting, a socketed and Shaeled Hellslayer beats the Buriza, although the Buriza only needs the 15% IAS of a jewel, not the 20% of a Shael, opening the possibility of a good prefix, too.

The IK Maul clearly beats both. It's better raw, it's better with Shaels/jewels, and it already comes with sockets so you don't need to spend a quest on it. Yay!

18. alainpp66

Weredruid doesn't necessarily mean Wolves... And OIAS works perfectly well with a Werebear and a Slow weapon. Come on Fatty... You know better than that... ;)

Code:
    Druid Werebear
    Weapon Class: Two-handed Axe
    Base Speed -10 with 0% WIAS

Standard Attack Breakpoints
    Frames 	% OIAS 
    24 	0 % 
    23 	2 % 
    22 	6 % 
    21 	10 % 
    20 	16 % 
    19 	23 % 
    18 	32 % 
    17 	42 % 
    16 	56 % 
    15 	75 % 
    14 	102 % 
    13 	142 % 
    12 	215 % 

You can cut off 5 frames without too much effort. 8 if you take IAS into account when setting your bear up. That's considerable.

I never mentioned anything to do with the Wolf... I said merely bear and it's a perfectly fine were bear weapon for the build I described.

19. Stormie

Stormie IncGamers Member

Hmm, yeah, OK, 23% IAS will get your Hellslayer from 24 to 19, and 56% will get it from 24 to 16. That's nice. But!

IK Maul: 13fpa, 11fpa with 23% IAS, 10fpa with 55% IAS
    Buriza: 9fps, 8fpa with 33% IAS

I actually think the Hellslayer looks even worse for a bear than for a wolf! For a wolf, it was competitive, but for a bear it's just horrible!

20. alainpp66

Did I ever mention overall effectiveness?? No. Damage over time?? No.

I mentioned Max Damage and the fact that this build CAN make it without too much effort and be entertaining.

I Never once said Hellslayer was better than Buriza or IK Maul for either... But it does have it's place and that is for the "Damage is King" Crowd.

When your opponents aren't going to move, take as much time as you want to swing. You have control of the situation.