Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

hellrack bowazon questions

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Imconfused123, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Imconfused123

Imconfused123 IncGamers Member

hellrack bowazon questions

hi, i am making my first amazon since the 1.10 patch came out. usually i am a sorc and play on HCL. right before my character died =( meph dropped a pretty nice crossbow, the hellrack, which is why i am deciding to make a bowazon, and i have a couple of questions for all you elite players out there.

first of my skills plan 2 be
    20:strafe
    20:CA
    20:FA
    20:valk
    and the rest r dodge, avoid, critical, etc

my equip is gonna be:
    hellrack 228%ed
    tal helm
    cats eye
    and the rest i don know yet... mostly cause i havent found any more items =)

ok now onto the questions:
    1) what should i socket it with? (i was thinking -15req jewel so i dont gotta fork over 163 str and a shael)
    2) what should my gaurd be? (i was thinking might merc, so i can get more damage but HF merc might work as well... i don know)
    3) is strafe a good idea or should i get Guided Arrow?
    4) what should my stats be? (i need 139 str if i put in a -15req jewel into the hellrack, but how should my dex and vita look?)
    5) where should i mf?
    6) "ideally"what gear should i use?
    7) finally the most important question.... should i really make a bowazon just cause i found that hellrack? or is it 2 slow of a bow that its not worth using

thanks a lot in advance

2. Shadoway

Shadoway IncGamers Member

Honestly, I think a non-upgraded Buriza is the best unique crossbow. Hellrack is only good for its elemental damage. But it is not intended for a zon. I can imagine a pally with conviction, or a sorc with elemental masteries can use hellrack in a effective way. But for a bowzon, there are so many good options there, this bow does not look appealing.

3. XZON

XZON IncGamers Member

I have a level 85 zon using hellrack & buriza (non upgraded). I put a 15% ias in tals helm & am wearing Laying of hands (20% ias). The 163 str req is high but i get +25 from lionheart armor & 19 from annihilus charm. You will need a better way to deal with PI in hell. Atmas may be better than cats eye. A set of Gore riders will help a lot. I put 2 shaels in the hellrack for a total of 95% ias good for 1.9 attacks per second about the best you can achieve with buriza. I would upgrade a buriza for more physical punch & pierce but i can cakewalk all NM & pits in hell with only level 9 valk & might merc.

I also started out with -15% req jewel until I had help killing DC & got Annihilus. By the way, beleive it or not I am a multizon & it's not too bad. No need to put 20 in ca as you will not use fa much in hell therefore do not need synergy. You will need guided for boss kills. strafe, fa & guided or multi, fa & guided.

life you will need approx 1,000. I am close to this with 120 in vit & charms.
    dex goal of at least 350 & none in energy (thats what tals mask is for).

Everyone else will say eaglehorn, windforce, botd, wws etc. Personally, I like the challange of soloing hell & DC with a crossbow. good luck.

current gear:
    ring - natures peace, ravenfrost
    ammulet - garbage (looking for atmas)
    belt - tals (looking for thundergods)
    helm - tals / 15% ias
    armor - lionheart (goal is chains of honor)
    boots - aldurs (looking for goreriders)
    gloves - laying of hands

4. Imconfused123

hmm thanks a lot for the info i guess i will max out guided and not put any in cold... as for the shadowway who said that the hell rack is not good for a zon... can u tell me why? isnt elemental damage a good thing?

and only 1k life? isnt that a bit dangerous.
    also where do u get ur resists from, cause without a shield my resist go down the drain =/

5. XZON

XZON IncGamers Member

1K Life should be enough to withstand a couple of hits from most. You are not meele & should not get hit too often. large charms can give 30% to single resists which can help fine tune your zon. tals 15% all, lionheart 30% all, anihilus 19% all, 3 quests 10% all, nokozan relic (i am sure mispelled) great for fire when fight dc, thundergods belt for lightening ( most important). ravenfrost helps against cold & there are only a few places to worry about poison & you can switch charms for those areas. charms, charms, charms.

By the way, i checked the math & the 350% damage to demons gets added after the rest of the physical damage is calculated so buriza at mid to high level will definately outperform hellrack in spite of the elemental damages of hellrack. epecially an upgraded buriza. you also get +35 dex & pierce as well as freeze target. nice mods on buriza.

6. Shadoway

Shadoway IncGamers Member

Always remember, if you go with the physical route of the bow skill tree (i.e. multi, guided, strafe), you should get a bow/xbow that emphasis physical damage. Consider that your skills (critical) will add to your physical damage only. For elemental damage, as I said before, since a zon don't have any skill to boost it (like conviction), it is next to useless in hell. Plus, if you use buriza, you save about 50 str, which can be put into dex; with buriza, you also have 100% pierce, so you can wear something other than razortail and save skill points to put into critical.

7. Imconfused123

icic ok thanks very much for the info once again people

so do u think it would be smart 2 have a ballista/hellrack on switch?

or should i just forget the hellrack all togeather and have like a mosers/wizzy or some mf crap on my switch.