Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hello world

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Zyr, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Zyr

Zyr Diabloii.Net Member

Back in the days of Scorch and Flux, around 2003, I acquired Diablo II and its expansion, Lord of Destruction. As I tried to learn how to play this fascinating but bewildering game, I came across diabloii.net, and read many, many build guides. They were all shopping lists for cookie cutter builds. The more I read, the more frustrated I became: It seemed from what I read that I would have to have have a character playing in Hell in order to acquire the items required to play in Hell. It seemed an insoluble dilemma.

In my frustration, I looked elsewhere, first to the Lurker Lounge (host of Jarulf's Guide, which had been a great help to me as I played the original Diablo) and, when the Lounge was down, to the Amazon Basin. There, I slowly (I do everything slowly) discovered that there were players who were not dependent upon godly items to succeed in the game, and after a while I joined some of them in regular group games on battle.net. Over the course of a couple of years, mixing MP and solo play on line, in both SC and HC, I slowly came to realize that I had no interest at all in trading, that I strongly preferred finding my own gear, that I preferred HC, and that everyone else I encountered wanted to play faster than I did.

I had completely given up playing with other players in 2006 when a player whose AB posts I had admired lured me into a game. We cooperated so effectively in D2LoD that we started wondering whether we could cooperate as effectively in Real Life. We were ~1500 mi / ~2500 km apart at the time. Within six months, we were cooperating under one roof, and nearly a dozen years later we're still doing so.

Despite my preference for HC, I was playing SC at the time, to develop a better understanding of the game without the high costs of HC mistakes. We played, individually and together, on US West SCL during 1.10 Ladder Season 3, and mostly on West SCNL through Season 4. At the beginning of Season 5, we switched to East HCL, and commenced numerous projects. At the end of Season 6 (the first six-month season), we found ourselves heavily invested in off-ladder projects we weren't willing to abandon. We've concentrated on East HCNL ever since, though we perpetrated Ladder Strike Forces in Seasons 10 and 15. My partner has in the meantime been driven away from D2LoD (by patch 1.14 breaking the game on her Mac) to OVG, though we still play together occasionally. But I'm deeply rooted in East HCNL, and don't foresee moving to SP until Blizzard or other factors force me to do so.

So, "Why are you here?"

First, I've been lurking a lot in recent years, and I've learned a lot, from hundreds (if not thousands) of players/posters. My enjoyment of the game has been deeply enhanced, and I'm deeply indebted. I can and do and shall make frequent and shameless use of the Like button, and may from time to time to express my appreciation in words.

Second, several SPF members have posted deeply personal information about their lives outside D2 which would certainly have triggered hateful responses elsewhere. The responses I've seen here have been consistently understanding and supportive, and I've seen no negative responses, due to self-censorship, to effective moderation, or both. I appreciate that very much.

Even though I've now introduced myself, I still probably won't be a frequent poster. But I'm sure there'll be topics, such as this one, where the temptation will be irresistable.

Grape, Vildecor, drmalawi and 13 others like this.
  2. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

Now that is an intro post.

Welcome to the SPF. You will be playing SP soon, we will drag you in. Mrs Zyr too. Try re-installing and update to 1.14d by the download updates, not clicking on BNet.

Zyr, PhineasB and Pb_pal like this.
  3. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I'm here for the company of people who I know for a lot of years. I'm here for those who are new because I like to give (hopefully) good advice.

Finally, I'm here to brag about what I'm finding and to share the joy of what others find. I love finding stuff. To this day, I've found basically everything, all set items, all runes and almost all uniques, including Tyrael's Might, but I'm still waiting for Griffon's Eye and Mang Song's Lesson to drop for me. I'm not sure what I'm going to do when I've found those two as well, but it hasn't come that far yet.

Zyr and Southpaw8668 like this.
  4. Southpaw8668

Southpaw8668 Diabloii.Net Member

Wonderful introduction and welcome! That’s wild that you married a fellow gamer. Wish I could have been so lucky.

Zyr and ioupainmax like this.
  5. maareek

maareek Diabloii.Net Member

Welcome!

Sounds like D2 has brought good things into your life, which I think is a common trend on this forum. Congratulations on that, and it's good to have your perspective and outlook here.

And I'll be glad to take up the words you won't be posting and include them in my quota. I always go over anyway. "Wordy," they call me. "Uselessly verbose," says I! o_O

Zyr, T72on1 and PhineasB like this.
  6. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman Diabloii.Net Member

Hello and welcome!

I'm occasionally on East NL in the OP DiabloII.Net channel when I'm refreshing characters (I still have most of mine too). It's the old East Trade Forum channel. I hardly ever get to do anything with my old HC characters, holler at me if you see me.

Zyr likes this.
  7. ioupainmax

ioupainmax Diabloii.Net Member

Hello, agree with @Southpaw8668:
    Lucky man!

EDIT: Oh I recognise your avatar from the Amazon Basin, no wonder you looked familiar.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    Zyr likes this.
  8. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

Hi again Zyr :). Very nice of you to post such an introduction thread, considering that I know you prefer to stay at the background !!!

I still hope that your other half (feels a bit strange not to use her AB forum name, but since you haven't used it, I'm not sure you would feel uncomfortable if I did) manages to get D2 running again, so you two can play together again and we see her posting at the AB forums more. You know you both have been and still are a great source of inspiration for me.

I know a few people here run the game on a Mac and has issues at first with 1.14, but managed to solve it. So hopefully you can do, although iirc you already read posts about it here and it didn't work unfortunately. IIRC WildViking or jhartelt from the weekly AB group game I'm in, are running D2 on a Mac as well. Maybe you can consult them to see if they know a solution?

Zyr likes this.
  9. ffs

ffs Diabloii.Net Member

Welcome!

I am running on Mac natively also. (I should be using an emulator to use certain supplementary FAM stuff but I don't bother as long as GoMule works. ;)) If it is any help, for me crash issues always appeared when updating to 1.14d. When staying on 1.14b, which is what the Mac installer gives you initially, the game works just fine. But that means no BNet of course...

My impression is that most Mac users use a virtual machine, somewhat more of a hassle but it eliminates any issues..

Zyr likes this.
  10. ioupainmax

@Zyr I have a feeling you are a {programmer/software developer/software architect} based on your thread title, am I right?

Zyr likes this.
  11. Burgomaster3

Burgomaster3 Diabloii.Net Member

Welcome, and thanks for the story. Always good to hear that Diablo 2 can bring people together.

Hope you will continue to contribute your experiences and insights, if not frequently, then at least infrequently enough. And hope your partner will get the game working, should be possible with the help of the mac users around here.

Zyr likes this.
  12. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

I knew I had seen it before too. I think you have been quite busy in the AB Wiki?

Zyr likes this.
  13. BKC

BKC Diabloii.Net Member

Welcome to the world :) and to these lovely forums!

darkstarhub, Zyr and ioupainmax like this.
  14. drmalawi

drmalawi Diabloii.Net Member

Welcome to the party!

Zyr likes this.
  15. Zyr

Zyr Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks for the warm welcomes! :)

You're one of the people I need to thank for enhancing my enjoyment of the game. I've wanted to make a Nova Sorceress since I started playing the game, but it was a low priority until I found a Nova Ormus' Robes a bit over a year ago. I surveyed the literature, and found a very useful roadmap. :cool: I surveyed mules, and found appropriate ingredients, including five Lightning skillers. Esme_Weatherwax is now level 81. :D

My partner does have one instance of D2LoD running on one Mac, so we can (and occasionally do) play together. But the game will no longer run on older versions of MacOS, so my partner can no longer run two instances of the game on each of two computers. In the meantime, my partner sank deep roots into WoW and dabbles in HotS, and isn't interested in expending the time, money, and spoons to rebuild the highly satisfactory self-MP system which the patch broke.

Not since 1984, when I dabbled in 6502 machine code just about long enough to put the words on a C=64 screen. :D

Only as a reader/user! There've been many contributors to the AB Wiki, but at this point I think it would be fair to say that @onderduiker deserves almost all of the credit for its comprehensiveness, usefulness, and even its existence following several major software and hardware migrations.

Now that y'all have welcomed me so kindly, I feel it's only fair to warn you that I've been known to engage in silliness from time to time.

For example, about nine years ago I felt compelled to do this:

mmjp2.jpg

And, a few months back...

mmjp3.jpg

Somewhat similar silliness:

victor_silks.jpg

Vildecor, zemaj, T72on1 and 1 other person like this.
  16. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman Diabloii.Net Member

I have a funny named staff somewhere...

CDMs Leaf staff.jpg
    ... idk where though... I think someone else has it.

zemaj, T72on1, Gynli and 4 others like this.
  17. ioupainmax

OMG not this again, run for the Bloody Foothills!

crawlingdeadman likes this.
  18. Zyr

Zyr Diabloii.Net Member

I sense a tale...

19. ioupainmax

Zyr likes this.
  20. Gynli

Gynli Diabloii.Net Member

@ioupainmax I saw the thread earlier this year. I did NOT notice it started back in 2012. omg LOL

pharphis, Zyr and ioupainmax like this.