Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hello world!

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Howitzer Al, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Howitzer Al

Howitzer Al IncGamers Member

Hello world!

A little computer programming reference there.

Hi everyone. I've browsed this forum for a while now and finally decided to join. Y'all have a great thing going here!

I'm a D2 lover, but since I'm in the "real world" (i.e. out of school--in a job), married and have a 2 year old, I don't have nearly as much time to play as I'd like. I've never seen the appeal of playing single-player games like Diablo online, especially with all the cheating, hacks, bots, idiots that are out there. (I call Diablo a "single-player" because the game can be played w/o any multiplayer/online element and lose nothing.)

I do have to fess up about one thing, though. I do use a couple of cheats that this forum doesn't approve of: duping and limited hacking. I'll freely dupe any items/gems/runes that my characters have for themselves or for each other. I also hacked myself a small charm that has lots of magic find and gold find. Lastly, I will give my characters whatever runes they want. Now the reason behind all of these is that since I have so little time to play, I'm trying to make up for it with these actions. I hope this doesn't offend anyone here since I only use these items with my characters and don't trade with anyone. Needless to say, I won't be able to trade with y'all since I don't follow all of the SPF rules.

Thanks and see y'all on the forums!

2. burke615

burke615 IncGamers Member

10 print "Hi, Al!"
    20 print "Welcome to the SPF!"
    30 goto 10

Good lord, I can't even *remember* BASIC anymore! :scratch:

Welcome, Al. More fathers on the forum is always good. :) (I have a two year old and a four month old, both of the male variety.)

As for hacking/duping/etc., I think we are all in agreement here that what you do on your computer is fine, as long as you are open about it and don't try to cheat people - something it sounds like you are aware of and sensitive to. Even joining one of the SPF ladders would be fine as long as you "segregated" (logically, not physically) your ladder character(s) from the hacked ones. [Actually, you have to do that anyway, since ladder characters can't take items from non-ladder characters...]

I hope you enjoy your stay!

Cheers!
    Burke

3. Cauthon

Cauthon IncGamers Member

Hey Howitzer Al - welcome to the SPF! :wave:

Thanks for being up front about your playing practices and understanding the limitations that they bring with them. We all have different playing styles and beliefs around here, so while many may disagree with your methods, we have come to the conclusion that what happens on your computer is your business.

Anyways, look forward to seeing you around and I know you'll find lots of great advice and input for any problems you might have.

4. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

Hello there! :wave:

Welcome to this mad place :D

And about the items you created, it is fine for me as long as you don't bring them to our MP games or trading (same goes with the items you have found while using them).

But I'll stop my rant now

Have fun posting here!

:)

5. Takis

Takis IncGamers Member

Welcome to the forum. I'm in agreement with the others about your hacked and duped Items. What you do on your computer is your business, as long as you don't trade or give any of your items away to any of the other players that frequent these forums.

We do appreciate the fact that you were up front with us.

Takis (El_Greco)

6. Araknis

Araknis IncGamers Member

:howdy:
    Ahh yes, the real world. Quite a few of us have jobs but few of us live in the real world :)

BTW I'm another of those "married with kid" people (3 year old son), so I know what you mean about the time to play thing :rant:

We all make our own lifestyle choices, as long as everybody respects each others right to do so, we all get along fine. See you in the EMB :drink:

7. JamesMartigo

JamesMartigo IncGamers Member

Hi Al, welcome to the forum!

Thanks for your honesty. I also created runes to help out my (old) characters. I've created some new characters for SPF play, that are completely seperated from the old ones (hence the sudden poverty). If you want to play with any characters that are still using duped/hacked equipment, maybe I can join you with one of my old characters.

8. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Howdy, welcome, watch out for squids, it's my fault, drinks are in the bar. :D

9. Ti-Ben

Ti-Ben IncGamers Member

Welcome to the forums! :howdy:

10. Kaysaar

Kaysaar IncGamers Member

Welcome! :howdy:

We really appreciate your openess and telling us of your playing style. That makes you all right in my book :thumbsup:

11. grandkanga

grandkanga IncGamers Member

hi

Hello Howitzer,

I'm new myself and like yourself have been watching these forums for sometime and finally decided to join. By the way what chacters are you currently working on out of interest???

12. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

Welcome to the forums! :howdy:

robin

13. Howitzer Al

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

grandkanga,
    I currently only have a Concentrate Barbarian--level 73 or so right now. I played D2 classic when it came out for quite a while, but then layed it aside until a few months ago when I got D2X. I still have one of each of the classic character classes, but with all the changes from classic to expansion and from 1.04 to 1.10, I figured I'd start from scratch.

BTW, I'm a Mac user :yep:
    I have a PC also (w/D2X installed on it as well), but that's more of a hobby. My Mac's my main machine.

14. fishman

fishman IncGamers Member

Welcome aboard...married with two kids here, so I can appreciate the limited time available to play...another great benefit of a single player game.

Enjoy your stay here, its a great place. :thumbsup:

15. Kamelbarn

Kamelbarn IncGamers Member

Hello there, I hope you will enjoy you stay!

And that 'Hello World' computer reference, where does it come from? I remember that our programming teacher back in upper secondary school wrote it in the introduction to the course. He actually spelled it 'Hallo World', and claimed it was right. Gah, he must be one of the most annoying teachers I've ever had.

16. Vranic

Vranic IncGamers Member

Hi and welcome,

I know the feeling, real world, job, girlfriend, 11 month old future gamer ;)

But still I manage to play games for about 25-35 hours a week. How? I do not sleep a lot, hehe (<- takes a lot of practice but it's worth every minute)

17. farting bob

farting bob Banned

see, all those who make threads that jsut say
    'i dont want to waste time buildign up players, gimme hack/cheat.' or
    'i wanna test somethign for bnet and want a hack for SP so i dont have to wait...'
    youll get shunned by everyone. but if you admit it, give deatailed reason and agree that you wont be using any items for trade or SPladder, you wont egt shunned. we still wont trust you with trading or give you links, but you can still survive here in peace.

18. Borlag

Borlag IncGamers Member

Welcome to the forums :)

Everyone's said the same thing I would, about the dupes/hacks, so no point in saying it again.

19. DX-Crawler

DX-Crawler Banned

Always nice to see some new people hope you enjoy your stay :howdy:

20. Howitzer Al

Almost every programming language course I took and textbook I read started off with teaching you to write a simple program that just printed "Hello world" on the screen.

I've seen "hallo" in books before. Maybe it's used in another country or something?