Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hello SPF friends

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by metzninja, Apr 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. metzninja

metzninja Diabloii.Net Member

Hey everyone,

I'm metz, a Diablo veteran of ~17 years. I only played a little classic D2, but my computer was horrendous so a schoolmate and I got into D1 instead. Duping in the dial-up days, while secretly wishing my comp could handle the excitement of D2...

Anyway, I eventually got my wish when LoD came out. I had no idea how to play the game properly but had a lot of fun anyway. Didn't know anything about survivability, trading, which items had potential, etc. Only played softcore. Relied on my friends in class for items.

Stopped playing D2 for a while to play WC3. Both games are two of my favourites ever (along with Heroes of Might and Magic 3). However, by the end of high school and the start of varsity, some of our schoolmates were looking to revive our D2 experience. We played HCL. My main toon was a Skellymancer. Once I got enigma the game opened up, but then I began to get disheartened by feeling like I couldn't contribute. Probably the most fun I had was running Nihl, which terrified my friends. However running Baal was excruiating when none of the other 7 players wanted any minions on-screen. I didn't really have any desire to build a smiter to do ubers. Near the end of this period I sold most of my HC items for SC so I could build a WW pvp sin. It wasn't really as fun as I had hoped... party because it didn't involve the dungeon-crawling and looting, but probably because I sucked at pvp!

Now I had another break for a couple of years until, I guess 2011 when I made this account? I don't remember much of that period. I got much more involved in the game in 2016, though, when I was living in Japan with my wife and needing some way to entertain myself. We were pretty isolated in Japan and I didn't speak the language, so I spent most of my time playing HC SP. (I had long since been converted to the advantages of SP and living on the edge in HC.) I had three toons: a Meteorb, a Fishymancer and a Zealot. I found quite a few nice items, of which Glad's Bane and Griff's were the standouts. I really wanted to build a Zon before I quit, but for some reason I couldn't find a Razortail of all things...

Anyway, that time I quit because I was addicted and playing a huge amount. I am pretty sure I will avoid addiction this time... back to living at home in New Zealand and we have a kid now so I will be lucky to get a 30 minute gaming session instead of the 8 hours I used to get!

Wanted to say hello to the community with the most D2 knowledge that has helped me an awful lot over the years and always impressed me with its friendliness. And with that, I'll end the life story and change the nappy that is smelling pretty nasty right now, haha

Grape, RIP, ffs and 9 others like this.
  2. darkstarhub

darkstarhub Diabloii.Net Member

Welcome Back. You can find balance in what you need to do in life vs playing D2. I say that, but I do catch myself staying up too late playing D2 sometimes!!!

Yng likes this.
  3. drmalawi

drmalawi Diabloii.Net Member

Hey welcome (back)! :D

There are more ways to entertain yourself than playing d2, just so you know. PM me and I can tell you ;)

Good luck with the kid! :)

4. Kitteh

Kitteh Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Fresh meat (ish)! Welcome, and congratulations on the blissfully naive belief that you won't get addicted this time. Can't you just get the baby playing too, two birds one stone etc?

DiabloTwoinDC and drmalawi like this.
  5. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

Cool. Welcome back.

6. BKC

BKC Diabloii.Net Member

Welcome Back sir!

7. Pb_pal

Pb_pal Diabloii.Net Member

Welcome back!

8. zoo

zoo Diabloii.Net Member

Greetings!

9. DaveW

DaveW Diabloii.Net Member

Welcome back, you can check out anytime ya like, but you can never leave ..... Muuwwwaaahhhhhaaaa. BTW where in NZ are you? I'm in Auckland.

Kitteh and Timinator like this.
  10. Timinator

Timinator Diabloii.Net Member

Welcome back, I'm in the Wellington region myself :)

11. Kitteh

I'm moving to New Zealand soonish! To Dunedin, which I believe is the Southern tip. So you guys are both quite some distance right?

12. pharphis

pharphis Diabloii.Net Site Pal

howdy! Nihl running is fun but scary.

Pb_pal likes this.
  13. Timinator

Timinator Diabloii.Net Member

On another island! You'd be near the bottom of the South Island, I'm at the bottom of the North Island and DaveW is up towards the top of the North Island.

FYI it would take 1 hour 15 for me to fly to Dunedin.

Imagine if we all got together in a room, to play D2 .. in Single player ;) Comparing finds and progress lol

Kitteh likes this.
  14. Kitteh

That just sounds like my computing class every Friday afternoon at school :p

drmalawi likes this.
  15. Eriklop

Eriklop Diabloii.Net Member

Welcome back,

@Timinator This gets me thinking. If we keep going back to this forum/game after almost 20 years. And we keep in contact for lets say another 40 years and we all are retired from work. The chance we somehow want to talk to each other in real life is pretty high. Some of the people in this forum already have a very good friendly relationship. I think its such big part of our lives and such a small community that this could happen at some point. Im actually not around that often but still feel a pretty deep connection with the guys around here. when im 70 years old and still around i would love to hear some RFO stories in person and play some diablo.

16. Kitteh

I will be amazed just to make it to 70 to be honest :p

17. ffs

ffs Diabloii.Net Member

Very jealous @Kitteh! I was there last year on a 3 week vacation which was way too short (visiting former Kiwi friends and housemates that outrageously decided to go back to New Zealand after many years abroad). You'll have a blast I'm sure. I doubt we'll be seeing you around here much though, just too much awesome stuff to do outside, if you're into that. :)

Kitteh likes this.
  18. Kitteh

Well, I don't run anymore :p I will be working, a lot, so I probably will only see a portion of what there is to see really...

19. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

:confused:o_O:D

20. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

Grape, Pb_pal, drmalawi and 1 other person like this.