Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hello (sort of)

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Manwe, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Manwe

Manwe IncGamers Member

Hello (sort of)

Hello to everyone at the SPF!

I used to post here, and was an avid D2 addict (single player) for most of last year. Before that I played d2 on B.net, although I got fed up with it (as it seems most people here have). Last November I quit the game and moved on to World of Warcraft (which is an *awesome* game, I recommend it to everyone who likes MP in this game - and the atmosphere is a bit better than B.net due to the monthly fee and lack of anonymity with only a few thousand people per server). However, I no longer want to play WoW full time, and so I've come during my down time to an old standby, Diablo II. I dug up my old backups (I'd uninstalled the game) and after a few more MF runs with my meteorb sorc, decided I wanted to start a new character. Luckily I still have my old ATMA stash, so I had gear available for him. After a bit of browsing the Strategy Compendium, I created a barb that I'm basing around the Immortal King set. It's sort of cookie-cutter, but I'm building him around Whirlwind as it's always been my favorite barb attack, since I don't like how slow killing is with Concentrate. I went the rather unorthodox route of getting him an Act I rogue merc - seems most people use an Act II merc with this build for an aura; however, I like the added damage of the rogues and I'm not a huge fan of the Act II mercs since I've used them on a lot of other characters and they provide a sort of uniqueness to this character. He's up to level 52 now and is almost done with Act I NM. I think I'll use him as my new MF character since barbarians have always been my favorite class and I now have the gear (from my MF meteorb sorc) to make it work.

Since I have not kept a record of where my items came from (I did a bit of trading when I used to post in the SPF), and my organization system in ATMA is non-existent (everything is in one stash) so I'll be starting afresh on my (1.10) grail with items this character finds. That means I'm starting with 0 items, not even Isenhart's Case ;) If anyone could recommend a good way to organize my grail that'd be awesome, right now I think I'll just create a new ATMA stash dedicated to grail items and just stick them all there, making sure not to duplicate any, then just take a total count. How many sets and uniques are there?

I also have 2 questions that I've come across in the course of playing my barb to 52:

1. How does Crushing Blow work? IK Maul has 35-40% (and I'm lucky enough to have a perfect seed, out of the 4 that Meph dropped for my Meteorb sorc when I used to play), and I'm not sure how it helps, though the IK WW barb guide I read on the Strategy Compendium said that it helped a lot for players 8 hell Baal runs.

2. I've decided that I want to attempt to craft blood amulets for him, with the Perfect Ruby + Amn Rune + Any Jewel + Magic Amulet recipe, hoping for one with some good stats for the random roll. I assume that I should use an amulet that Hell Baal or Nihlathak drops for the ilvl (98 for Nihlathak, 99 for Baal if I remember correctly, and the formula is .5*ilvl+.5*clvl, rounded down, so it wouldn't matter if it's a 98 or 99 ilvl since it would turn out as 49 either way. What level would my barb need to be to get good stats on these? My Meteorb sorc is lvl 87 so perhaps I can use her to craft these if that's necessary. Also, assuming I get an amulet of the proper ilvl, give it roll, and don't like what I get - can I roll it again or will I need to get a new magic amulet?

This has been kind of a long-winded hello post ;) but in the last few days I've been lurking in the SPF and it seems like things are the same as ever around here. Nice to be back :) (And no, not a single Isenhart's Case or Venom Ward has dropped for me so far leveling up.)

2. HBeachBabe

HBeachBabe IncGamers Member

welcome back
    some quick answers:
    crushing blow removes 25% of a critters current life (it's like static field), however, it does not scale with players setting - it always acts as if you are at players=1. still a great damage boost though. it can be resisted with physical resistance. it will not go up if physical res is <0

you will need a new amulet as the one you will have will be crafted, not magical. besides, it's ilvl will be much lower than when you started so why'd you want to use it again anyway?

3. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus IncGamers Member

Welcome back!

WoW sounds and looks like alot of fun. However, my current comp(s) will not allow me to play it ... thank (insert your preferred Deity here). Plus, my wife would kill me. At least Divorce anyways ...

4. supermatt

supermatt IncGamers Member

welcome back! great to have you. i also sucumbed to the old addiction and returned after a long time away.

as for your questions:

1. when Crushing Blow triggers it whacks your enemy for, i think, 1/10 of their remaining life on top of whatever other damage you've done before that. the amount of CB damage is affected by Physical Resistance/Immunity though, so after Normal you'll usually only CB for much less.
    -someone should check me on this...

2. i don't know all the facts and figures, but i gamble for Ammys to craft and i've got some pretty sweet ones so far

:) matt

5. Manwe

Manwe IncGamers Member

What ilvl items do you get from gambling? I plan to do lots of Hell Baal MFing with this char, so I'm sure I can get enough ilvl 99 amulets to keep up with my not-infinite supply of Amn runes, trash jewels, and perfect rubies.

EDIT: Yeah I just realized that if your character is less than level 98, then the ilvl diminishes so it wouldn't be worth it to recycle - or only a limited number of times. I don't know what ilvl I need to spawn useful attributes.

6. water_moon

water_moon IncGamers Member

I remember you! Welcome back. Have fun with the new grail finding, I think Flavie (stickie at top w/ ATMA) is supposed to help w/ grails. But I know that medieval mart is a spread sheet that will help you track your item finds.

7. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

Welcome back!

Good luck on the grail. You'll need it.

8. jjscud

jjscud IncGamers Member

The end ilvl desired is usually ilvl 90+. This is when you can get +2 class skills and +3 tree skills. For your lvl 87 sorc this would require a lvl 93 amulet. I believe she can only gamble +5 levels resulting in, at best, a lvl 92 amulet. Sounds like the best thing to do is to try to get another lvl for your sorc then you could gamble and use ilvl 92 or 93 amulets.

I've run baal a decent bit and don't see too many amulets drop from him, if you trade, you might be able to trade for a number of high ilvl junky amulets.

9. atigdng

atigdng IncGamers Member

Welcome back to teh SPF!

Are you a LOTR fan?

10. seige

seige IncGamers Member

Welcome back Manwe. :thumbsup:
    No Isenhart Case. Thats bad :D
    As for organising your stash. Mine is:
    Runes, Sets, Uniques, Gems, Sockets, Crafting etc. I also have a seperate stash for each character but add everything into one grail.

- Jas :howdy:

11. Vargas

Vargas IncGamers Member

SPF ni okaerinasai (welcome back to the SPF)!