Hello, and a question from a newb!

Coffee_Addict

Diabloii.Net Member
Hello, and a question from a newb!

Well, a newb to the forums, not an in-game newb :thumbsup:

As you can see, this is my first post here (registered a while back at RPGforums for another game... anyway). I have D2 since it's out, same for the expantion, and have been playing on-and-off over the last two years. I used to play single player, though I got dragged by some friends in closed B.net. Started SP again about a year and a half ago, but stopped in late 2004. One of my friend dragged me back to closed B.net last week, and power-leveled me to the 70s in a matter of days.... MP D2 now officially disgusts me.

Anyway, I have a question.

I've always liked druids. Played some shapeshifters back in 1.09, but I can't say the idea of turning in a werewolf really interests me. I was thinking about an elemental druid...
I'm the kind of player who likes effective characters; which means being able to play through the whole game, and not running away when confronted to various immune monsters. So my goal is not to clear the worldstone keep in a couple of seconds; just to do all the quest, and defeat every enemy.

So what do you guys think about an elemental druid? Would it be a good choice for me? If so, should I go fire or wind? Hybrid?
Finally, I have access to very powerful equipment (have a orb/meteor sorc level 84, with which I have done countless MF runs), but I usually avoid twinking (unless I'm "done" with my character, and want to use some class/build specific equip I found).

Anyway, thanks for any info!

Sleepless

Diabloii.Net Member
Welcome to the SPF :thumbsup:

Wind druid are definitly the right choice for efficiency since it has 2 sources of damage. Fire druid are not bad but they are really screwed by monsters immunity in hell.

Kefir-Tribe

Diabloii.Net Member
Welcome! :Howdy:

As Sleepless pointed out Wind is probably easier with all the immune monsters hanging o'round in hell. But fire is slightly more original.

piscene

Diabloii.Net Member
Ok, then, time to introduce yourself for real. Student? Married? Kids? Hobbies? Aardvarks?

In anticipation of that, welcome to the SPF. Dont feed the squid.

SeDnA

Diabloii.Net Member
70 in a few days!? Thats... what many people do in SP... :lol: And on bnet, many people get to 80 in a day... I mean less than half a day...

Anyway, welcome to the forums!! :clap:

Coffee_Addict

Diabloii.Net Member
SeDnA said:
70 in a few days!? Thats... what many people do in SP... :lol: And on bnet, many people get to 80 in a day... I mean less than half a day...

Anyway, welcome to the forums!! :clap:
Well I'm not playing D2 24 hours a day. Like I said, it's more on and off for me now. I also play other games. What I was saying is that it makes absolutely no sense to me to get rushed through the whole game just to do MF runs. For me, the fun at playing RPGs is to watch the character grow and become more powerful as he levels. Or perhaps I'm just an old school, DnD player :rolleyes:

As far as introduction goes, well I'm 17 and a student. I won't say more, because you guys wouldn't understand anyway (we've got a wierd system up here in canada). Hobbies? Really like tennis and golf (gasp!). Alpine skiing during the winter. Also a fan of RPGs and strategy games.

CrazyChihuahua

Diabloii.Net Member
Welcome Coffee_Addict!

I am a student in Canada as well, and not knowing where you live in Canada, the systems may be different. But yes, they can be weird.

Tennis is great too. Enjoy your stay!

water_moon

Diabloii.Net Member
Coffee_Addict said:
What I was saying is that it makes absolutely no sense to me to get rushed through the whole game just to do MF runs. For me, the fun at playing RPGs is to watch the character grow and become more powerful as he levels. Or perhaps I'm just an old school, DnD player :rolleyes:
Ooo, you get a welcome hug! I think you'll fit in just fine here. You have to join in on the next "explain why runes go 'squish' " thread. Almost forgot, here's your goodie basket of baked goods and squid repelant. Read your FAQs and stickies, don't mind the crazy shin boys, they mean well, but well...

We have good skiing here (northern NV) come fall-spring. Com'on down sometime.

Porius

Diabloii.Net Member
Welcome! I just heard that they are keeping some ski resorts in Utah open until early July this year. Just so you know.

Oh, and I recommend the windy druid, too, of the options given.

Porius

Hey welcome coffie

I am playing a fire druid right now and I must say they are awesome... what they said isn't entirely true. The attack volcano knocks the tar out of FI because that does 50% fire, 50% physical. same for molten boulder. though ya gotta be rich to play them to the max... Ravenlores can be tough to find. as are the runes for hoto or enigma. though I would definatly say fire is as good as wind. I played my sword ww barb through with a windy and he wasn't that impressed at the end.