Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hellforge Rune Question

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by Stevebo, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Stevebo

Stevebo Banned

Hellforge Rune Question

I've seen people talking about Hellforge runs for rune finding - does this mean just going through and killing everything to see what drops or does it mean for each run you start a new character, rush them to hellforge and collect the rune that drops?

2. pncwd

pncwd IncGamers Member

It is rushing a new character each time.
    There are several ways to do it but I wont explain unless you want to know more. Not being rude but it is a long explaination, LOL im lazy.

3. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

You rush them to Hellforge for that special rune drop. Hellforge is unique in that it always drops 1/12 runes from a set. This is totally random and no rune is more or less likely to drop than another. IIRC, normal is El-Amn, Nightmare is Amn-Um, and Hell is Dol-Gul. There is no better chance at picking up an Ist or a Gul than Hell difficulty HF. Remember, random doesn't always mean nice and spread out. Sometimes it clusters for bad or good. I went through a half a dozen Hell HFs once and didn't do better than Hel.

For getting through the acts, here's a brief outline.

I. Kill Andariel with rushee standing in the first room close to the battle and move on to Act II.

II. Have rushee pick up Staff after you locate it, go to Lost City, and have rushee talk to Drognan when it gets dark. Find and have rushee get amulet, have rushee cube items into staff and have them talk to Drognan again. Kill summoner with rushee present and talk to someone in town (or you can't TP into the tomb). Go to tomb and have rushee place the staff to open the way to Durial. Leave rushee in the staff room and kill Durial. Have rushee talk to Tyrael before you do. Talk to Jherym and Meshif.

III. Finish off council with Rushee present (usually behind a wall). Have rushee talk to Deckard. Have them present hiding behind the wall of the left or right Anteroom when you kill Meph (try to lure him a bit closer to them)

IV. Find the HF and clear the area. TP the rushee in and have them get the quest. Head for Diablo and hit all the symbols and kill all reamaining monsters to make him appear. Look for little outcrops to the North of the central chamber that the rushee can hide behind while you kill Diablo.

V. TP rushee behind the box you exit from when you get to the Arreat Summit. Defeat the ancients. Rushee won't get the quest but this will open up the Baal quest. He can't TP into Worldstone though so start a game called Baal4Quest or somesuch with the rushee. Ally with your rusher and anybody else who joins the game and just leave the rushee in town while you and companions kill Baal. As long as an ally gains the quest, he gets it too. Move on to the next difficulty and rinse/repeat.

I haven't tried this yet, but apparently in cases where the rushee needs to be present, it still counts if they are dead but have haven't pressed Escape to return to town yet.

4. pncwd

pncwd IncGamers Member

Like I said alot of typing, LOL
    That does work have done it several times, Getting norm baal quest is easy it is getting the NM baal quest that is harder, not because they are harder to beat but because less poeple are ready for that quest.

However there is another way

Either make a friend that plays classic and has a high lvl rusher or build a classic Rusher to rush mules through the quest in classic. Same stragedy as the one listed above, except there is no ancients or baal quest to complete. Sounds easier but isn't that easy. Once you have completed Act 2 in Hell lvl, convert your mule to an expansion mule and then rush him through hell lvl in expansion.

Dont convert before completing act 2 in classic, because, in order to make it into hell lvl expansion you have to complete 10 acts, this is how the game counts up to where you are at. Each classic difficulty has 4 acts to go through as where the expansion has 5 acts so when you figure them up, it takes 10 acts to make it to Hell lvl expansion.

The classic way is easier because you dont have to have someone else around to get the quest, but at the same time it is harder because if you build a classic rusher it takes alot more time than a expansion rusher.

5. Stevebo

Stevebo Banned

Would i be correct in assuming you need two copies of diablo and two computers to do this? Or is there a cheaper way?

6. pncwd

pncwd IncGamers Member

To do self rushes yeah, but if you have someone that can do it and is willing to take the time, then no, LOL.
    If you are doing it yourself them you would need two copies of the game at the lest. Two computers is not nesscearry, look around and you should be able find the directions on how to run two copies of the game on one computer. I think I saw something about it over in the single player forum.

7. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

You can skip that. In order to get act 5 solved, just be anywhere in act 5, being partied with somebody who will be at the scene of Baal's death and who needs the quest solved as well. That would be enough for act 1, 2 and 3 as well, but not for act 4 IIRC, and you would need that additional questee - who might be hard to find, expecially for nightmare act 5.

I normally have a HF dummy in the game when I quest through everything with a regular character (doing HF in separate, of course). That way I can use that mentioned shortcut with the rushee just having to be present in act 4 and perhaps at Travincal.

BTW, in case a dummy must be present, you can let him run into the enemy and die. As long as you don't press Escape, the charecter is assumed to be at the place of his death, so if you kill the enemy there, het will get credit for solving the quest. That's particularly useful with Diablo (the fire circle kills any L1 character) and tne Councils (L1 characters don't like hydras as well). You cal fully concentrate on your rusher on computer 2 or game instance 2 then.

8. Pherdnut

Ah good. Thanks for the confirmation. Are you sure about not needing to do Ancients though? I'll give it a shot without doing ancients but I do know that the Baal Quest doesn't appear in your window until the rushee has been near the site of an Ancient's smackdown. He doesn't get their quest but it opens the Baal Quest.

9. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I'm sure about the mule not having to be present at AS. None of them has ever passed the gates of Harrogath.

10. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

I never do the Ancients with my mules: I rush them to A5, leave, find a baal 4 quest game and get them to the next difficulty.

I also try to do the same with Duriel --- if I see a "Kill Duriel", "Acrane help" or similar games I join them to skip getting the staff parts. Usually doesn't work in hell. Occasionally I make a public hell Duriel game, though. I have no teleport, no maphack, and can't just run through the tomb, so it's slower than usual, but it's free :)

The important thing for me is that I have 2 CD keys --- so I can put a lvl 1 char into a game *and* do whatever quest(s) are necessary for the others, thus "making up" for the increased difficulty. I wouldn't like to just sit in a game making things harder for everyone else...

11. Pherdnut

One less pain in my butt. Thanks guys. Good to know.

12. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Hell is Hel-Gul. /nitpick

13. ChthonVII

ChthonVII IncGamers Member

NO KIDDING?!?!?!
    And all this time I've been painfully building my characters up to 20/40/60 to get past ancients.

Question: can super low-lvl chars get better exp from norm or hell baal (with you or a friend doing the running so as not to be a total leech, of course)?

14. Myrakh-2

They can't get any exp from baal since they cannot enter WSK, Throneroom and Worldstone Chamber.

However, they do level nicely iin hell :)

15. sorcyone

sorcyone Banned

How long does the rush take you ? I want to work out if it is better than just plain MF. Since Pul to Gul are pretty close in trade value to their value when cubed up, you can say you would expect on average 1.45 Um for each run (11 runes Gul = 8, Ist = 4, Mal = 2, Um = 1, Pul = 0.5, Lem = 0.2). Doing MF runs I expect about 1 Um worth of stuff every hour (tradeables and cubing up flawless although occassionally an uber item drops - I exclude this). So can you do the whole rush in less than 1.5 hours ?

Would it be better to have 7 rushees at a time ?

16. Myrakh-2

Well, if you can get an UM in one hour, then I guess it depends on how fast your char can rush.

I don't have teleport or maphack, and once I've reached hell there isn't a lot of running going on (but then, monsters drop items...). *I* need about 2 hours playtime to get to A2 hell (the mule is usually permed by then), but I also get all 3 Cains along the way. This doesn't include the time I might need to wait for a baal4quest game.

However, *I* don't get an item worth UM every hour, and I have no experience trading crappy uniques and rares away to clueless noobs on bnet, so there are two ways for me to get currency: dclone and forgerunning. DClone is very timeconsuming, so I've given up on that long ago, whereas forgerunning produces items and gems along the way.

17. sorcyone

sorcyone Banned

I would love to kill DClone. Unfortunately Asia realm never had not much duping. I have not seen the SOJ counter not even once for the 6 months I have been playing. You wouldn't believe what I had to trade to get an annihilis.

I don't have teleport or MH either and I rarely get an item worth an Um. I do Travincal council runs with a horking barb (see my guide in barb forum). Over an hour I do about 20 runs including time for cubing, gambling and identifying items. I get about 3 million gold, about 15 pg, and 1 item (usually a charm) worth a Pul. This adds up to about an Um. The council drops *lots* of charms. A typical example would get a plain trap or fire GC which I would later trade for a Pul. The really good charms I keep.
    The market is so flooded it is almost impossible to trade any set or unique item unless it's an item like a Shako or WF. Even Tal amulet only trades for Lem now. Items like IK items (except armour) I don't pick up.
    I find council runs about 10 times more profitable than pit runs, although every now and then I will do one to get purples since the council doesn't drop any.
    Every now and then I get some really good charms :
    20 life 33 AR sc
    30 life CGC
    35 life LGC
    12 FHR 14 res all GC
    35% gold 15 res all GC
    19 life 11 cold res sc
    3max5FHR sc

18. Raistlin_Majere

Raistlin_Majere IncGamers Member

I rush in classic with a sorc. I don't use MH and it takes about 1 hour (maybe a bit more depending on how "easy" the maps are) to rush to act IV hell (I switch to LoD in Act III hell). Then it takes a bit more to do the hf quest (remember that you can do it in nightmare as well and perhaps get an um :thumbsup: )

It DO get tedious though.....
    Low level chars level fast doing Hell diablo runs (assuming theres some strong high level characters present).

If you could have 7 chars along it would be much better. 7 times HF :drool:

19. Pherdnut

I'm betting that if I really just blasted through, I'd get through Normal and NM in less than an hour but I prefer to check item drops etc... Hell takes me considerably longer since I have to use my sorc to teleport and then bring in my necro for certain tougher areas like the temple where you get the amulet in Act 2, the council, and actually getting to Hell Forge from the waypoint. If I had Enigma, and made no silly mistakes like forgetting to ally with my mule in Baal for Quest games (I do this ALL the time), or run out of TP scrolls (DOH!) I could probably get to Hell HF in an hour or two. Especially now that I know you can skip ancients and your mule still gets the quest if their body is present and they haven't hit escape yet.

20. Zephyrin

Zephyrin IncGamers Member

While we are in this HF run matter... what is in your view the best sorc build for a D2 Classic rusher ?

I read somewhere that some skills were much more valuable in Classic than in LoD, but I can't remember which ones. I guess also a dual-tree is required, since mercs seem to be pretty short-lived in Classic :(