Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hellboy

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Shug_Ninx, Apr 4, 2004.

1. Shug_Ninx

Shug_Ninx IncGamers Member

Hellboy

Well, I had a week off of collage so I decided to use this oppotunity to take my brother and I to see Hellboy. Now, outside of reading "The Conquerer Worm" I havent had much contact with the Hellboy universe, so if I muddle anything up in my review dont send me off to another dimension or something okay? :evil:

Anyways, first off I'd like to say that I enjoyed Hellboy. The story, for the most part, remained tight and focused. The special effects were good and the characters were very likeable. There were something things I would've done otherwise but I'll delve into that later.

I think the strongest aspect of Hellboy was not the action, or the story, but its main character. Here is a guy [or devil, whatever] who's super strong, yet not invincible. Intelligent, but fallible. Hellboy's powers are both a blessing and a curse to him. His "inhuman" appearance pretty much disqualifies him from getting any girl whatsoever, and the only one that does seem to like him is just as much in the thick of things that he is. Being brought up by humans, he also "acts" humans. Hellboy is also cocky, and sarcastic. This often leads him into situations where serious mistakes happen and his friends pay the price for it. It helps to bring Hellboy more down-to-earth like the rest of us, and with that, we can identify with him a lot easier. Its a different take from the seemingely-invincible DC comcis heroes, or the over-melodramatic Marvel Heroes.

The special effects were really good for a $60 movie (I cant believe I'm saying that, hehehe). The costume for Hellboy is fantastic and his movement is very convincing. He is 6"5 tall and deep red, and his screen presence is really convincing with that. Same thing goes for the villians too, especially the ****-knife wielding thug. Another unique thing that I liked about Hellboy is that instead of going all-out CGI with the stunts, they actually use the main character, and do it with wires. Some of the parts where Hellboy gets slammed agaisnt the wall and "falls" to the ground look a little less convincing then others, but its still [IMO] a better job then most CGI movies, because this time you know that he's actually there, and not some overly done CGI prop.

The storyline in Hellboy was also good, for the most part. From what I've heard, its a mish-mash between Seed of the Destruction and Wake of the Devil. I havent read either but what I can say is that the story flows smoothly and is entertaining. What I would've liked to see, though, is more focus on the villians. We dont get to see enough of Rasputin, and his origins. And it only explains a little of where that really-cool **** knife-wielding thug came from. That to me was the weakest point of the story. I didnt really identify, or "hate" the villians in anyways. Even when something between them and one of the main characters happens in the storyline [I cant tell or or it'd be a spoiler]. Oh well, not really a biggy since its compensated by Hellboy's character, but something worth mentioning.

Oh yeah, and lastly there's one more gripe that I had with hellboy, and thats the editing. There are some parts of hellboy where some characters are introduced, and then after some action, they are completely forgotten and tossed out. No, I dont mean killed, just out of the story without any context as to why.

But overall, Hellboy is a good movie. I would give it a B-. If you're a fan of the Hellboy comics, I'm sure you'll enjoy it too [if you havent seen it already]. Anyways, now that I'm done with my take on it, how all of about yours?

EDIT: One last thing, please stop censuring ****. Its stated in our history books, which we all read in elementary and high school. Its unfortunate that some people use that term to insult somebody, or whatever. But its out of history.

2. smokey[dead]

smokey[dead] Banned

I think all in all it was a mediocre movie, expect for Hellboy's personality I love how that was portrayed. Good acting too, anyone know the actor who played HB? This face seems familar.

3. Carnage-DVS

Carnage-DVS IncGamers Member

Ron Perlman I believe.
    I really liked Hellboy. That's how a comic book movie should be done. I hated Spiderman and liked the Hulk and X-2. This ranks up there with x-2. Great fun, great one liners, good character development.

4. SomeCanadianGuy

SomeCanadianGuy IncGamers Member

Hellboy was Ron Perlman, I believe.

Yeah, I enjoyed the movie myself quite a lot too. I didn't know that they used a lot of string stunts instead of CGI, but that would expect the look of certain scenes. (I've got a specifice one in mind, but, once again, no spoilers...) By far, Hellboy's personality was the best part of the movie. It added that certain little extra je-ne-sais-quoi that gave the movie a heart and soul. Without it, Hellboy would have been nothing more than another superhero movie where a big, strange-colored, super-powered guy runs around smashing things and bad guys and blowing stuff.

I had a beef with something in it when I watched it yesterday. (Caught the first showing at 12:50... lol.) I can't remember what that was though, so it'll go unmentioned for now...

But, all in all, a pretty damn good movie. Not completely what I expected, but not disappointing in the least. :thumbsup:

5. cleanupguy

cleanupguy IncGamers Member

Oh brother. There is one thing we disagree on, I guess. The Hulk and X-2 were two of the worst movies ever. Spiderman was OK, nothing special, but it was better than the Hulk and X-2. I am going to see the Hellboy tonight, but I think the tickets might be sold out, which means I need to go see this movie at Sony Metreon where a ticket costs $9.75.

6. LunarSolaris

LunarSolaris IncGamers Member

I had the chance to see it yesterday (Friday) as well in the afternoon. I also thought that it was done pretty good, although the characters could have been developed much better. I also agree that the villians weren't developed in a way that you end up hating them like most, so that was a little weird.

The movie actually exceeded my expectations. It certainly won't go down as cinematic genius, but it's definitely worth a look in the theaters.

7. Carnage-DVS

Hulk was a movie that you either hated or loved. I liked how it was done, how it went deeper than your average comic book slugfest.

8. smokey[dead]

smokey[dead] Banned

X-men 1 i didnt like. X-men 2 was just amazing, it was perfect. It goes back to it's comic book roots. It does a great job showing how Jean will change into pheonix at the end. Plus all of the characters were done perfectly, especially wolverine. It also has enough action for those who arent die-hard fans. Their expecting a release of x-men 3 summer 2005.

The hulk and spiderman weren't very good in my opinion but everyone liked spider-man around here. The biggest upset of my life was when Matrix 3 come out... reloaded was so good, where did they go wrong?

Now if they could only make more superman movies...

9. Jonas

Jonas IncGamers Member

They really haven't made a good Superhero movie except X-2. That was that only one I would pay to see again.

I haven't seen Hellboy, but every time I see a new ad for it, I just think I'll hate it even more.

Spiderman 2 looks pretty good, actually, or at least better than it's predecessor.

10. cleanupguy

cleanupguy IncGamers Member

I just wasted $9.25 which I could have spent for 2 Blockbuster rentals. As you can see, I didn't like Hellboy at all. I don't recommend it to other people.

11. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

Best comic movie ive seen. Got my interest in the series, may look into buying some.

12. Ringworm125

Ringworm125 IncGamers Member

I want to know why everyone hates X-men 1 so much. Ya X-2 was better, and simply the best Marvel movie, but X-men 1 wasn't so bad. X-men 1 was just the Marvel movie test gerbil to see if the Marvel movie series could continue. And to tell the truth, IT WAS GOOD. Without X-men 1, X-2 couldn't exist. Actually, all the other movies (Spiderman, Hulk, Daredevil, X-2) wouldn't probably have been made if X-men 1 bombed. The Marvel company needed to see how good their first movie (other than the old punisher) would do. So lay off X-men 1, it deserves our gratitude for starting something...

About Matrix Revolutions... Yes it was also the biggest upset of my life. But the second biggest upset of my life was Matrix Reloaded! It sucked also. I guess Warner Bros. can't keep a good classic going... hmmm sad..

13. Canadia142

Canadia142 Banned

I saw it today, I thought it was a really good movie.

14. Alex_Str

Alex_Str Banned

Me and my friends always make jokes about a guy called Gregory Rasputin. He was an advisor to the Romanov dynasty in Russia, bla bla bla. Anyways one day I was eating dinner, and I was talking about him. I saw a video about him in school that said that he was a womanizer, he liked to wave his privates around at people, etc. Anyways, suddenly, my mom tells me "Did you know that he had a 16 inch penis? I learned about it in school back in Russia" Well, I thought that was pretty funny, so I told my friends, and it's been kind of a joke in between us.

So imagine my surprise when Rasputin is the bad guy in the movie...I couldn't take it seriously.

It was decent. Girl Next Door was better.

15. Crispyknight

Crispyknight IncGamers Member

I liked Hellboy up to the last ten minutes; it seemed to just run out of steam. Kinda like Jurassic Park 3, the director just runs out of ideas, film, or time. Meh. Fair to middlin' grade. C+

16. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

I didn't like hellboy at all. it was terribly done and completely misadvertised. I was expecting a superhero like movie and instead I got some big red guy that thinks he's the ghost busters or something. the only redeeming quality of the whole thing was I got to see it on the ultra screen. i already mentioned this in somethread somewhere...

anyway, the plot kept trying to do something but couldn't...there was that love triangle thing fo rthe chic that was not hot and brooded so much I can't see whow anyone was attracted to her. the climax was sort of a non-climax. you know you're going to anyway it's your destiny...the whole movie was a big let down. maybe i'd have like it if i had known something about the comic before i went in. but imho it was weak. much weaker than either x-men and spiderman.

oh, and what's all this matrix 3 bashing. there was the most complicated filming for any battle any movie ever in ther with teh defending the dock scenes...sure it got drug out too long--the matrix prolly should've been just two movies, but most of the dragging out was action so you can't complain too loud. The matrix 3 also had the final showdown with smith that ended exactly as it had to. I thought the third movie pulled the whole thing together nicely. though I have to wonder why the machine king looked so oddly. Every other machine is built for a purpose and that purpose is clear by the design. the machine king was just odd looking.

if you watch the special features on the second and third matrix it starts to become rather clear what they were trying to put together....I liked the line--matrix one was about birth, matrix 2 was about life and the matrix 3 was about death. I had never considered it that way before...I think the matrix trilogy is the best movie series ever, and the first matrix was the best movie ever. It touched on so much and was put together so well, it's frankly incredible.

17. TheGreatStickels

TheGreatStickels IncGamers Member

Matrix was a crappy series, all of it, the first one was the only even half decent one.

anyways, back to hellboy, can't wait to see it, looks pretty cool.

18. Carnage-DVS

If you liked the matrix series, your opinion on hellboy doesn't count for much.

19. Hoyunah

Hoyunah IncGamers Member

Agreed. They just got more and more confusing as each one went on. But everyone and i mean everyone has gotta admit the fighting was pretty awesome and pretty well choreographed.

20. Technetium

Technetium IncGamers Member

It was pretty good. The special effects were a little weak in some places. I liked the main character. I think the best part was actually the humorous scene when Hellboy was spying on Myers and that hot fiery chick who's name I forget now.

It was better than Daredevil (which was the worst comic-book movie I've ever seen), about equal to The Hulk, and not quite as good as Spiderman. Of course, none can compete with the greatness of Batman.